Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hermes, Inpiration, Fat, Time Trial, Babble

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 12:33 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes
However, I suggest losing 5 pounds.
Months ago I posted here for advise about getting ready for a short hill-climb time trial. It's a no big deal local event. I never compete, but I did it last year and even though I was 3rd in my age group (in a very small field) I got no web-site love because they only posted sub-11 minute riders. I was 11:10.

Anyway, I got advise here. Hermes saw a photo of me and suggested "losing 5 pounds."

Now, I had gone from 193 to 153 and was feeling pretty good till then, but I realized he was right. Dropping a few would help on that ride. So, publicly humiliated and inspired, I tossed in a measure of no wine and less food to my training plan.

This morning I hit 139.8. That's darn near 60 pounds since I started, and 13 since the infamous "lose five." comment. I haven't weighed that since high school. My pants have gone from 38 to 31 and even they're loose.

The frightening part is that I'm still not actually thin. I'm just less fat. I'm that bike-racer rail-thin that can goes so fast. That's likely 10 pounds away, and I don't think I'll ever see it.

But, importantly, thanks to you all for hints and inspiration!

The Time Trial is Saturday. I have voodoo-light tubes in the Ultremos. I have the Sidis ready to be extra-tightly-buckled. I have high caffeine coffee at the ready. I have lightweight socks. I waxed the bike so it will be slipperier in the air. After all that there's sure to be a huge headwind.

Anyway, we'll see.....

RESULTS LATER IN THREAD, POST 19

Last edited by cccorlew; 04-18-09 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 12:48 PM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

Very impressive. Good luck with the TT.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 04-14-09, 01:10 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a mate at work that 3 years ago had a heart attack- He is 5'8" tall and weighed 300 lbs. After the attack he bought a bike for the 10 mile commute to work- started going to the gym and eat a lot healthier. He has lost a heck of a lot of bulk. Still a large lad but he is definitely slimmer.

So what are you doing wrong?

In fact I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I have always been a lightweight at 145 lbs- but this winter- I have put on 12lbs. Still been riding and the only thing different has been a change of Job. I now do a lot more driving out to the customers instead of walking round the warehouse sorting problems.

So good luck for Saturday and remember- If you get a placing- It's PIE all round. I want to try that Quay Lime you have over there.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-14-09, 02:03 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
It is VERY scary thinking that folks are actually taking and using the advice taken from here. However you will be very pleased with what a few less pounds will make. Plus the better conditioning from getting to the lost weight.

I'm predicting a 10.39 finish.

Now-get some DT Swiss wheels like Palt and you will be passing the guys ahead of you.
Old 04-14-09, 02:47 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Great job dropping all that weight! I've been trying to get 155 lb. for two years now (after getting down from 180 to 165. Can't do it; very frustrating.

Good for you though, someday maybe I'll get there . . .

Good luck on your TT!

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-14-09, 02:53 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
This was a scary thread for me. Anytime you see your name in the title of a thread that you do not start, it is cause for investigation. Curtis, first congrats on losing the weight and focusing on improving on the event. And I know how tough it is to get to the point you are at today.

Bravo and go get em in the TT.
Old 04-14-09, 03:12 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Here's my advice...............listen to Hermes. Velodiva does (maybe) and she kicks ***.
Old 04-15-09, 06:56 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Impressive weight loss. Good luck on the TT and send us the link to the winners page
Old 04-15-09, 11:21 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
1. Good luck and kick @$$. I won't be there this year.
2. Congrats and being thin is worth it even if you don't break 11 minutes.
3. This is more of a power rider time trial with a steep hill at the end than a skinny guy hill climb.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 04-15-09 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 11:38 AM
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I have voodoo-light tubes in the Ultremos. I have the Sidis ready to be extra-tightly-buckled. I have high caffeine coffee at the ready. I have lightweight socks. I waxed the bike so it will be slipperier in the air. After all that there's sure to be a huge headwind.
Yay! Glad to know I'm not the only poseur with a set of Ultremos. They are light as hell, and tread on those suckers feels like adhesive. I only wish I were capable of testing their limits.
Old 04-15-09, 02:11 PM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
cc, now I know where my pounds came from. You! I went in the opposite direction over the winter, 153 to 165. I feel like a freakin blimp. Time to stop eatin and get riding! Good Luck with the TT.
Old 04-15-09, 04:13 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Originally Posted by palookabutt
Yay! Glad to know I'm not the only poseur with a set of Ultremos. They are light as hell, and tread on those suckers feels like adhesive. I only wish I were capable of testing their limits. :lol:
I actually promised myself a new jersey "Poseur" if I could get under 140 for even a second. The company is out of medium right now, darn it. So the question is, do I have to be under 140 at the time of the order? Or is it enough that I hit my goal?

Old 04-15-09, 08:54 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Congratulations, Curtis. Good luck on the ride!
Old 04-15-09, 09:52 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck Curtis. Now that your have focused on this challenge you will be surprised at your finish. At 140 lbs don't you wear a small size shirt? Remember, racers are aero.
Old 04-15-09, 09:57 PM
Erect member since 1953

Small? Not yet. I have medium jerseys that are loose and some that are just right. I have one medium that I feel like a sausage in.
Old 04-16-09, 08:23 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good job, Curtis! I admire your discipline.

Now show us how it's done on that TT. As soon as you think you're hurting, think of me laughing scornfully and offering these words of encouragment: "You think this is pain? HTFU and dial it up!"

Good luck!
Old 04-16-09, 03:04 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Small? Not yet. I have medium jerseys that are loose and some that are just right. I have one medium that I feel like a sausage in.
Think "race cut" and not sausage.
Old 04-16-09, 05:26 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Think "race cut" and not sausage.
+1 When I put on my racing skin suit, I think sculpted, David, Michelangelo, Boonen, Hushovd....sausage does not compute.
Old 04-18-09, 01:19 PM
Erect member since 1953

RESULTS

The big news: Tricia (MyLilPony) took first in her group! First race, first medal. First in the family to get a cycling first. She wasn't even going to enter, but I talked her into it when we got there. As Tricia points out, it was a category of two. But that isn't her fault, and she did beat everyone who showed up. What more could she have done?

My goal was to better my 11:10 of last year; to come in under 11:00. This year there was a lot of wind and I thought I'd be in trouble. But I hit 10:51, and finished fourth in my group, 2.5 seconds out of third. Tricia has told me I must stop obsessing about that 2.5 seconds.

It was a delightful and fun day in the sun. The event was well run, and the other cyclists were fun to visit with. I'm already looking forward to the event next year.

Old 04-18-09, 02:23 PM
Boomer

Congrats Curtis and more congrats to Tricia.
Old 04-18-09, 02:25 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Fantastic result. You had your target and you beat it. So where's the PIE?

Have to agree that 2.5 secs is not worth worrying about- but if you had worn a race cut jersey-Would you have been more aerodynamic? If you had got a lighter set of wheels- would it have shaved a bit off your time?

Time to look at improving your equipment set up and improve it

Can tell you that you are a braver man than me at this stage of the season. I would not attempt a TT in any case but after a winter of short wet rides- I would have been looking to finish- let alone do it in a respectable time.

And just a message to Tricia. Well done and good job someone can wear the 50+ jersey on the Podium. Probably a first for the Forum.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-18-09, 02:39 PM
Erect member since 1953

I did every bit of voodoo I could. It's only 3 miles, and the end is a big climb. I took off everything I could on my bike and even put in lightweight tubes. You'd have thought there was money involved.

When I finished I was on the edge of throwing up. My heart rate was at 102 of what I thought was my max for a lot of the ride. I stayed low in the drops till the steepest part of the climb. I didn't leave anything on the course.

I did at least manage to pass the guy in front of me, which was kind of a thrill.

But I'm not about to go spend money on a TT bike. Or even a weird helmet.

On a side note, on takes what one can. One younger person who beat me looked so akward on their bike, as in could hardly manage getting on and off, it made me proud to NOT be a tri rider.

Last edited by cccorlew; 04-18-09 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 03:00 PM
Boomer

I'm not sure but that wierd helmet might have been worth 2.55 seconds over 3 miles........
Old 04-18-09, 03:04 PM
Erect member since 1953

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I'm not sure but that wierd helmet might have been worth 2.55 seconds over 3 miles........
You might be right, this is the guy who nudged me out.
Old 04-18-09, 03:14 PM
fredelicious mini-masher

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats to both of you!! You, for going under 11, and Trish for the win!! Really awesome, and...addicting? When's your next TT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.