Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Global Warming?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Global Warming?

Most of you know that the UK does not have extremes of weather. By your standards the winters are fairly mild and the summers a bit cool. This has been born out over the last couple of years- although last winter was just a bit colder than normal.

But Today there has been big news on the weather front. The long range forecast for the summer is that we are going to have one. Less cloud (and rain) than we have had in the past few years- more sun with the temp getting into the mid 80's as and average day temp- but we will still have to expect the odd Thunderstorm to keep ground water levels up to normal.

Only drawback is that they haven't given an indication of wind strength

So what will your weather be like for this year- Providing the weather nerds have got it right.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't trust any forecast for more than 3 days in the future!

Just a couple of days ago the local forecast showed mostly sunny days all next week and I thought, "at last I'll get some real riding in!". Now - they show rain most days.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot and humid for the summer. Count on it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colder than normal, due to the PDO -- Pacific Decadal Oscillation.

This is another separate, though not unrelated, phenomenon to global warming, just like the ocean current perturbations that affect weather in Europe.
    VeloWeb | VeloWebLog

"The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind." ~William Saroyan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to a local climbing century this Sat., Breathless Agony. Got this weather forecast from one of the organizers today:

WEATHER

Normally, this ride can be cool or cold at the top of the climbs. Weather.com is forecasting the Start at Redlands to be 50-69 degrees with 30% chance of rain.

Checkpoint #1 in Beaumont to be 44-64 degrees with 30% chance of rain .

Checkpoint #3 at Angelus Oaks to be 39-56 degrees with 30% chance of rain, and Big Bear Lake near Onyx Summit at 8,443 Feet to be 32-49 degrees with a 30% chance of rain.

Checkpoint #4 Onyx Summit is 1,700 Feet higher than Big Bear Lake so thatís about 5 degrees cooler or possibly a high at Onyx Summit of 44 degrees. Donít forget the wind chill: the 2,000 Foot awesome descent from Onyx Summit can be very cold.

So that gives you some idea of the weather SoCal, at least Redlands and the Mountains above Redlands, CA.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do English stores actually stock suntan lotion?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago I came to grips with the fact that I don't have the attention span required for a television weather forecast. They spend ten minutes telling you what the weather was like today (uh - I already know that because I was there) where the highs and the lows are and what the temperature was in Stapfam's garden. By the time they get around to telling what they think is going to happen tomorrow I'm doing something else and I miss it.

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Southern Colorado, counting on the Weather Forcasters, is without a doubt, the "BIGGEST waste of time", you could ever do! Bring everything from sunblock to gore-tex if you venture into the Colorado Mountains, afterall, we do have the "Most deaths from lightning strikes" in the whole USA!!! There can be gale winds and pounding Thunderstorms ANY afternoon throught Colorado, You've been WARNED!!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, converted to a "comfort bike"! :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This summer will be hot and humid in Florida, with frequent thunderstorms. It hasn't rain here in about a month, and there are a few wildfires going. I am looking forward to the rainy season starting. I'm also looking forward to the windy season ending. Most predictions are for a normal hurricane season. I really, really hate hurricanes.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southern California's summer forecast calls for hot and dry conditions (except for this Saturday's Breathless Agony ). Our several year's drought will continue. Nothing new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always get some days in the 90's f, with high humidity most of the time regardless of temperature.

I concur with Retro Grouch's post about attention span and weather reports on TV. I don't really care about the dew point in BFE. I rely on my wife, who has more tolerance, to distill tomorrow's weather forecast for me.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Global warming just doesn't mean warmer.

It can mean cooler, too.

And drier.

And wetter.

It is All Around Us, and In Us, and Through Us.

Those who don't believe will burn in an earthly hell, all of which will be their own fault.

I hope I don't run into thunderstorms on my way to Bagdad (Kentucky) tomorrow.

But if I go too fast

And breath too hard,

I will generate too much CO2

Which will damn my soul.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather nerds got the past winter wrong...actually they got today wrong too. I'm trying to figure out tomorrows weather and what time to ride. The little icons show rain all day, but the details say only 30% chance of rain. Seems to me that's 70% change of no rain. Guess I'll just have to look out the window when I'm ready and make the decision then. And knowing my luck, when I'm 10 miles from house, it will rain.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Do English stores actually stock suntan lotion?
    Course they do---Brits take holidays in Canada sometimes.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Sitting in an English garden, waiting for the sun. If the sun don't come you'll get a tan from standing in the English rain..."
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Virginia we have Mark Twain weather - if you don't like it wait a minute it'll change. But count on 30% chance of thunder showers and a lot of humidity and some temps into the 90's.

Joe

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola View Post
    You trust more than me- Wednesday night I put fertiliser on the garden that has to be washed in within 24 hours and the wed 6 pm forecast showed rain the next day. This had been forecast for 4 days so I was safe. It did not rain.

"Sitting in an English garden, waiting for the sun. If the sun don't come you'll get a tan from standing in the English rain..."

We call the rain tan "Rust" over here- And most of us have it.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Orbea Mitis for the Road (love it!) And a Trek 3700 for the dirt trails
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @the weak link

+1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Course they do---Brits take holidays in Canada sometimes.
    OUCH! That made me laugh so hard my sides hurt.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Global warming just doesn't mean warmer.

It can mean cooler, too.

And drier.

And wetter. ...
    True, which is why I prefer the term "global climate change."
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world has been here billions of years and we have climate records for the last 200 years, so how do we know what it 'normal'?
    Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a couple of days ago the local forecast showed mostly sunny days all next week and I thought, "at last I'll get some real riding in!". Now - they show rain most days.
    3 days! Often they miss the forecast for the next day. But with total accuracy they can predict what the climate will be in 50 years. I almost fell off my chair when a TV show stated that the sea level on the Atlantic coast is actually going down. The land is rising as a result of not having 2 miles of ice on it from the last ice age. So much for Lady Liberty having sea water up to her arm pits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the radio, TV news (internet now), and the newspaper (also internet), I get three different forecasts, sometimes similar, sometimes not. I just pick the one I like the best and go about my day.