Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sensitive/Twitchy Steering Bikes

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-02-09, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a couple of road bikes that I ride. One is and old RS900 Giant from the 90’s and a Specialize Allez from 2005. I road the Giant last year and started riding the Allez this year. I have notice that the Allez steering is very twitchy compared to the Giant. On the old Giant I could turn around to look behind me no problem but when I turn around on the Allez for just a moment I start to wobble a lot. If I get another bike what type of bike and/or frame measurement should I look for to get a less sensitive steering bike?
Old 05-02-09, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Two things.

First, check the headset adjustment. A too tight headset will make the bike feel twitchy. The front fork and wheel should flop side-to-side on their own.

If you're looking to buy a new bike you'll want one that has a slacker head tube angle and a straighter fork. You can probably eyeball the fork but you'll need a trained eye to notice the fine degree of difference in head tube angle.
Old 05-03-09, 12:46 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Haven't found the critical head tube angle on a road bike yet- but on MTB's I found that any bike with an angle steeper than 71 1/2 degs was going to be twitchy.

Too high a pressure in the tyre or narrower tyre can also affect steering and the one I did not expect was too wide a handlebar. I have one MTB that is one to be wary of and I overcome it by putting my hands in the centre of the bars if I want to look behind me.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-03-09, 06:57 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes a bike will get twitchy or a vibration can set up if the weight distribution is off. I found on my steel bike that if the rear seat is too far back it gets twitchy, moving it just a little bit forward smooths it right out.
Old 05-03-09, 08:58 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Remember that one person's sensitive/twitchy bike is another's responsive/quick handling bike.

Steeper head angles and increased trail are associated with quicker steering. Slacker head angles and less trail tend to make a bike more stable.

A straight fork may or may not result in less trail depending on the angle of the fork in relation to the steer tube.
https://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/tech/trail/