Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Max tire pressure?

HI,
    I ve been reading another post about Optimizing your tire pressure, if you a rather heavy rider many of the thinner tires will require you to exceed the maxlimit on your tire.
    example my new Continental tire reccomend a max pressure of 120 after doing the math 140 may be my optimal tire pressure for the rear wheel
    Doug
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 05-04-09 at 04:03 PM.

My Bikes
    2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not say how much you weigh but frankly, I would be more concerned with good quality rims and spokes. In all likelihood, the 120 recommended is all you need to have in the tires. Most folks over inflate.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an old article from Precision Tandems on tire selection and pressure. It may be useful. http://www.precisiontandems.com/arttiresbymark.htm

The problem of heavy loads on tires is sideway fatigue and failure. The light weight 23 mm folding tires are great for lighter loads. Once you begin to pump up the tire pressure to accommodate heavier loads, it becomes more likely that the tire will release from the rim or the sidewall fails over time. For tandems, the 28 mm tire with a wire bead can sustain 140 psig with a heavy load. I run 25 mm foldable tires on our tandem at 120 psig. I tried a 23 mm GP 4000s and at 125 psig, the tire blew off the rim when we mounted the tandem.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJoeP View Post
    You do not say how much you weigh but frankly, I would be more concerned with good quality rims and spokes. In all likelihood, the 120 recommended is all you need to have in the tires. Most folks over inflate.
    That's what I think too. We use 700 X 28 tires on our tandem. I run them at 100 psi front and 110 psi rear and don't pinch flat. We're NOT a lightweight team.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch those tire dimensions. I put 700Cx28 Continentals on my Bianchi, and they fit only because they are actually only about 25mm wide. True 28s, such as Armadillos, would have rubbed the chainstays.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJoeP View Post
    +1
    I try to go with as little pressure as I can get away with while avoiding pinch flats. When I weighed 225, I rode 28s with 105 psi. At 200 I went to 23s with105 psi. Now I'm 160 and I run 23s with 95 psi. No flats and plenty smooth rolling. The idea of running 140 psi makes my shoulders ache.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think that unless you're actually racing, you would be better off with tires wide enough so that you don't need to go to 120 psi, but that's just me. I use 23's sometimes, but I'm light enough that I only really need about 95 psi in them.

Keep in mind that it can be a PITA to have to keep your tires at such high pressures, especially when you flat... but even at home with a floor pump before you ride, that's a lot of pressure. People often forget about the practical implications.