Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should I buy better for my first road bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 09:04 PM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

OK, Dan'o here, the FNG. Looking at getting a Specialized Sequoia or similar in the very near future. Most of you have said that my first bike won't be my last. Just wondering if you folks think my first bike should be better or if a Sequoia is good enough? I'm 53 with a bad back and just lost a bunch of weight and am looking for cross-training and maybe a little racing in the future.

Just wondering if I am better off getting a better bike or if my first bike should be a nice basic bike, then when I get better and can figure out what I need, then upgrade?

Thanks all
Dan'o :}
Old 04-30-09, 09:33 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is not so much a question of good, better, best - all Specialized bikes are good - as it is a question is what sort of bike fits you properly and will allow you to ride the most miles. The Sequoia will give you a much more upright position. I don't know what that means for your back. It's your back, so find out which position is best for you. Maybe you will like a sportier bike with a more aerodynamic position.

But it is quite true that your needs might change in a year or two, so I would go with your gut feeling about which bike might work for you now and worry about future bike needs when the time comes. And it will.
Old 04-30-09, 09:51 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh man this is a double edge sword of a question. In my opinion, and that is from someone relatively new as well, it is more important to get something you like to ride than to spend more on a bike you don’t know if you will like. If you have already decided on a bike or style you like the more you can afford to spend should allow you to go longer before you think you need to upgrade. Doesn’t mean that will work but that is one theory.

Get a bike with reasonable components to start with and you will more than likely keep that bike even if you get another one later on. The Sequoia will last you a long time and I have had absolutely no problem with Sora Components. If you move up to the Sequoia Elite you get 105s and a 10 speed cassette. Either bike will last you for a long time before you would feel the need to upgrade.

Now if you are considering getting competitive there is a whole different kind of advice you might get.
Old 04-30-09, 10:41 PM
Lance Legweak

Sounds like I'm better off starting out with the Sequoia Elite as it has the better components. That's the bike I've been looking at and like. Just wanted to make sure I shouldn't do something different before I spend my money. I'm still going to check out a couple other bikes just for fun, and the teenager that still buried in me somewhere loves all the high-end super race bikes, but I know they aren't right for me.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-30-09, 11:09 PM
Fred at large

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're just starting off I'd suggest that you buy something with decent components that is within your budget AND that fits you. Don't go top shelf but buy something that pleases you. That way you'll ride the beast instead of looking at it hanging in the garage every Saturday when you take the mower out to trim the lawn. 105 level or Ultegra (not Ultegra SL) is about as high as I'd recommend for components for a starter bike.

Later, if you think that you have what it takes to build up the strength and stamina for racing you can buy a new frame and build your race bike. Realize that getting fit for racing for old guys is a whole 'nother ball o' wax than when you were young. Especially if you already have "structural" issues.

If you decide that racing isn't in the cards, then you can always buy that Colnago or De Rosa or De Bernardi or some nice carbon or Ti frame and build that to replace the first bike.
Old 05-01-09, 06:25 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I view a bike purchase at over 50 as a health care purchase as well as a fun sport purchase. So don't hold back; don't have regrets later on. Start with Ultegra, just skip the rest. Then you can always upgrade to Dura Ace.
Old 05-01-09, 06:45 AM

Bikes: 2020 Veego 750, 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have the Specialized Sequoia Elite and love it. The geometry is perfect for me. The LBS that I got it also has some 2008 and 2007 Specialized Roubaixs that are in the $1500 range (I think).
The Roubaix have the relaxed geometry but are full carbon. You may want to look around or give them a call - LBS = Orange Cycle on Orange, CA.
I am just a customer and have no affiliation with them other than spending money there.
They are very nice people and will treat you well.
Old 05-01-09, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Rivendell Chevoit and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I view a bike purchase at over 50 as a health care purchase as well as a fun sport purchase. So don't hold back; don't have regrets later on. Start with Ultegra, just skip the rest. Then you can always upgrade to Dura Ace.
and you may never need or want to upgrade to Dura Ace. If you are sure you like the Sequoia spring for the better components and have fun.
Old 05-01-09, 07:07 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I would invest some time and money with a good bike fitter. Many of the high end LBS that sell custom bikes will do a fitting analysis that will consider issues including age and fitness. See a local Independent Fabricators seller https://www.ifbikes.com/Dealers/ and discuss you needs. You may not need a custom bike, but be sure to get a bike that fits.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-01-09, 07:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't think of a single thing I can do with my custom-made-to-measure bike that I couldn't do just as well with the entry-level Peugeot Chrono road bike I had at the time. For that matter, not much I can do now that I couldn't do in 1970 with my Raleigh Record. My fit is a little better, but that's only because I have unusual proportions which can only be fully addressed by a custom framebuilder (before, I could always bodge the bike to fit anyway).

We all get bitten by the obsession, but no matter how much you research it now, you will know better in the future. I wouldn't go too expensive if it was me. A decent entry-level or next level up should be fine. Racing? Well, maybe just ride first and see how that goes.

Even now, and even with years of riding experience behind me when I bought it, there are still a few things about my current bike I would change if I could.
Old 05-01-09, 07:56 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The Sequoia Elite would be a great first road bike. In fact you could do well with a lot less bike than that. But if you have tried that bike and like it and if the price is not more than you can afford to spend, by all means, go for it. It will serve you very well as you learn more about bikes, as you develop more bike fitness and as you get ready for your next bike. The next bike might be a nicer road bike or it might be a different type of bike to broaden your range of cycling fun.

105 components will work better than you'll be able to utilize. You can always upgrade to a new component group in a few years if you want more bling.
Old 05-01-09, 09:20 AM
Lance Legweak

Thanks for all the great info. I asked on this forum about the components and in that thread it was pretty unanimous to go with the 105 components, so I think the Sequoia Elite would be a good upgrade as it has better components throughout, plus a 10 speed cassette. So it sounds like it would be a great first bike and then as I figure out what the heck I'm doing then I'll look at a different bike or even building one on my own.

COOL!
:}
Old 05-01-09, 10:39 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hold on!!!! 10 speed cassette- that is two more gears to go wrong and is it a triple or a compact?- If its triple- that will be 6 more gears to go wrong.

And do you have hills? If you do you will have to make certain that the duff gears are at the small end of the cassette as you won't use them quite as often

Any thing Else I have forgotten to put you off buying a darn good bike to start you on your road to fitness?- and loss of weight- and loss of Money in the bank- and how long before the wife decides that the lawn is not getting cut as often as she wants becauses you are never at home.

Just pointing out the pitfalls.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-01-09, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
There are two main upgrades that will make a difference on a low to mid level bike. Better wheels and rear derailleur. You can do these later if you are not sure about jumping in too deep. bk

Last edited by bkaapcke; 05-01-09 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 11:11 AM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by stapfam
Hold on!!!! 10 speed cassette- that is two more gears to go wrong and is it a triple or a compact?- If its triple- that will be 6 more gears to go wrong.

And do you have hills? If you do you will have to make certain that the duff gears are at the small end of the cassette as you won't use them quite as often

Any thing Else I have forgotten to put you off buying a darn good bike to start you on your road to fitness?- and loss of weight- and loss of Money in the bank- and how long before the wife decides that the lawn is not getting cut as often as she wants becauses you are never at home.

Just pointing out the pitfalls.
10 speed and a triple, so more choices when my tongue starts hanging out for the 1 percent grades

I walk three days a week, ride three days a week, and on the 7th day God (the wife) advises I mow the lawns and trim the bushes, at home and my mother-in-laws three blocks down!

The better half thinks that anybody who'd pay over $1000 for a freakin bicycle is nuts anyways, so might as well be the best nut I can be!!!
Old 05-01-09, 11:13 AM
Lance Legweak

So has anybody noticed my nickname under my screen-name to the left? Not one word on that yet! LOL
Old 05-01-09, 11:25 AM

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Just wondering if I am better off getting a better bike or if my first bike should be a nice basic bike, then when I get better and can figure out what I need, then upgrade?
If you really want to "meet" all your own objections to spending big - one strategy is to look to other areas in your life that involved big purchases.

Where do you draw the line in buying expensive clothing? How about other toys like cameras, stereos etc? What level did you settle for? How did you feel about the product and where its price point was in respect to your budget?

In other words, big "buys" like bicycles can be be nixed or justified by anyone, for any reasons - or not.

If you look to yourself - and how you feel about other purchases - you'll have valuable clues as to what you will be happy to spend on a bike in the end.
Old 05-01-09, 11:30 AM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
If you really want to "meet" all your own objections to spending big - one strategy is to look to other areas in your life that involved big purchases.

Where do you draw the line in buying expensive clothing? How about other toys like cameras, stereos etc? What level did you settle for? How did you feel about the product and where its price point was in respect to your budget?

In other words, big "buys" like bicycles can be be nixed or justified by anyone, for any reasons - or not.

If you look to yourself - and how you feel about other purchases - you'll have valuable clues as to what you will be happy to spend on a bike in the end.
While I don't want to spend a fortune, the difference between a $1200 bike and a $2000 bike isn't that big, so that's not the problem I was concerned about. I was more interested in if it's a benefit to purchase a more upper end bike to begin with, but from what I've read the bike I'm looking at is upper end enough for my purposes.
Thanks for the info though.
:}
Old 05-01-09, 01:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP
Sounds like I'm better off starting out with the Sequoia Elite as it has the better components. That's the bike I've been looking at and like. Just wanted to make sure I shouldn't do something different before I spend my money. I'm still going to check out a couple other bikes just for fun, and the teenager that still buried in me somewhere loves all the high-end super race bikes, but I know they aren't right for me.

Thanks for the advice.
Maybe not right for you YET. I don't think you can go wrong with this as a first bike. The Shimano 105 series of components is superb and considered the sweet spot in the Shimano road lineup. The advice that this will be a good first bike I think is good given your desire to maybe get into racing. Your first purchase can only be a guess as to what will really be right for you since not even you will know what that is until after you have been riding for a while and seen what others that ride in your style are using. If you continue on in the direction you are headed (fast road riding) then to improve significantly on the Sequioa will be a $3k+ investment at which point you will have the experience to know what you want.

Another possibility, of course, is CraigsList for a cost-effective interim solution.
Old 05-01-09, 01:24 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by The Smokester
Maybe not right for you YET. I don't think you can go wrong with this as a first bike. The Shimano 105 series of components is superb and considered the sweet spot in the Shimano road lineup. The advice that this will be a good first bike I think is good given your desire to maybe get into racing. Your first purchase can only be a guess as to what will really be right for you since not even you will know what that is until after you have been riding for a while and seen what others that ride in your style are using. If you continue on in the direction you are headed (fast road riding) then to improve significantly on the Sequioa will be a $3k+ investment at which point you will have the experience to know what you want.

Another possibility, of course, is CraigsList for a cost-effective interim solution.
Thanks for the advice. The only problems with a CraigsList bike is that I couldn't tell a good bike from a bad one, so with my luck I'd buy something that would need repair or similar and it would end up costing me as much as a new bike, so I think I'm better off with the new bike and the support from the LBS for buying it from them. Probably less expensive for me in the long run. In fact, the LBS is already giving me a discount on purchases because I'm thinking about buying from them.
Old 05-01-09, 02:37 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Just to play the devil's advocate... Since you have mentioned the possibility of an interest in racing down the line, have you tested an Allez yet? The geometry would be a little more aggressive than a Sequoia but not drastically so and a bit more suitable for potential racing. You may or may not find that it is comfortable. No way to know without trying. I know several people who ride the Allez for casual rides and centuries. Most of them are very happy with their bikes.
Old 05-01-09, 02:59 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you want to spend more money, spend it on the best fitting cycling shoes you can find.
Old 05-01-09, 03:07 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Just to play the devil's advocate... Since you have mentioned the possibility of an interest in racing down the line, have you tested an Allez yet? The geometry would be a little more aggressive than a Sequoia but not drastically so and a bit more suitable for potential racing. You may or may not find that it is comfortable. No way to know without trying. I know several people who ride the Allez for casual rides and centuries. Most of them are very happy with their bikes.
Basically, have only tried the Sequoia, but hope to try some others real soon. Supposed to do it this weekend, but it's supposed to rain all weekend, so may have to wait until next week.

I don't know if my LBS has an Allez, but I'll ask.

Last edited by HIPCHIP; 05-01-09 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 03:08 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by AndrewP
If you want to spend more money, spend it on the best fitting cycling shoes you can find.
Already bought a great pair of shoes. Feel so much better than my old ran-out running shoes!
Old 05-01-09, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Hi,

I got the Sequoia 'Comp' model, which my lbs said was a slightly
'better' model than the elite ( this was near the end of 2008).

It came with some 'nearly no spoke' wheels, 105 components and
Zertz inserts on the fork, seat stays and the seat post.

I was a little leery of of the wheels but they seem to be holding
up quite well. ( I am a bit over 200 pounds ).

The Sequoia line seems to be built like a tank. I had severe
problems exiting from toe clips whilst coming to a stop and dropped
the bike more times than I like to remember ( until I changed
to spd style pedals).

I also hit a curb once while trying to kick over the toe clips...
( I think that generated a cracked rib...)

The only damage that all the above caused to the bike was some minor
scratches on the brifters and some scrapes on the handlebar tape

I find the more up right position to be easy on my 70 year old back and
there are enough gears on the rascal to make up for the slightly overweight
frame, toughness does not come for free

Enjoy,

Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.