Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   101 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/539281-101.html)

zonatandem 05-07-09 06:01 PM

Spring has officially arrived in Tucson!
First day this year that the temp is over 100 degrees with single digit humidity (again).
Rode this morning at 8:30 and after a couple hours pedaling temps were in mid-90s with computer temp on the bike showing a measely 104 (yeah, that was in the sun, but try and find shade here).
One nice feature of the warmer temps is that the winds have died down and are no longer 20+ mph range. And with abundant sunshine we get our needed quota of vitamin D rather quickly.
Thinking about buying some fenders for the tandem to keep the sun off that black rubber . . . as is, we have to use a sunshine shovel to get to our mailbox!
Pedal n TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonjatandem

Cone Wrench 05-07-09 06:15 PM

Holy mackerel, you're not lying.

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps...tive-humidity/

I can't get my head around humidity that low.

Tom Bombadil 05-07-09 07:35 PM

We've had one day of 82, other than that our warmest day so far this year was 72.

Retro Grouch 05-07-09 07:48 PM

Gee. I just got back from Seattle. I think that the humidity while I was there was 100% the whole time. It never rained very hard. It rained all day long and the accumulation was 0.8 inches. In Missouri it doesn't rain as often but, when it does, we'd typically get .8 inch in about an hour.

If I lived in Seattle I'd definitely have to get some bike fenders and some really good rain gear.

BengeBoy 05-07-09 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 8877683)

If I lived in Seattle I'd definitely have to get some bike fenders and some really good rain gear.

Just rode home from work in the rain. Fenders, waterproof shoes, rain jacket, rain cover - never a bad day to ride if you're ready.

overthehillmedi 05-08-09 09:25 AM

By the way, Retro, that's not a tan you got in Seattle,it's rust! :D

wobblyoldgeezer 05-08-09 09:56 AM

Getting warm here too - up to 40C, 100F these days

Unfortunately the humidity rises with the temperature. 80% today

Maybe I should take a bottle tomorrow morning?

(we glug down 2 litres before setting out, and aim on a litre per hour whilst out)

az_cyclist 05-08-09 10:14 AM

but the humidity will be really low until mid to late June, so it is not too bad yet. It cools off pretty nicely at night.

zonatandem 05-08-09 11:17 AM

Lowest humidity we've had was 2% and temp that day was 117 Fahrenheit.
Yes, commuted that day on the bike; wet my cycling cap and bandana and pedaled. Hat/bandana were bone dry 15 minutes later. Eyeballs were burning behind my glasses and heat from blacktop was felt right through soles of my shoes. Did let a couple pounds of air out of the tires.
Fortunately 100 degrees with single digit humidity is not that bad; however try and find shade! Have seen folks waiting for the bus standing in the shade of a telephone pole.
Bahrain's heat and humidity probably is caused by proximity to the water.
Have cycled in 98 degrees with 98% humidity in Maryland . . . sweat beads standing on my forearms at 7 a.m. . . . not fun!
. . . but its a dry heat in Arizona!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandm

unixpro 05-08-09 11:47 AM

This morning was beautiful in Seattle! About 45 degrees and it wasn't raining! Sure, there was a little water on the roadway and maybe I felt a drop or two at one point, but that's not worth even considering the rain gear!

Seeing the sun come up over the Cascade range and shine onto Lake Washington makes me happy.

The Weak Link 05-08-09 11:52 AM

It's been raining so much around here we feel like Portland has been imported.

Bud Bent 05-08-09 01:11 PM

It's only 87 degrees in the DFW area this afternoon, but the humidity is 63 percent, so it seems hot.