Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First ride on the Prince...Oh my

All I can say is I wish all of you could spin a few miles on one of these. First impression was it was well worth the wait and worth every penny.

Very, very nice ride. It's light but stiff and responsive. And there just might be something to the crooked forks....and possibly the carbon bars helped too but the ride was even smoother than my 5900.... which I always thought was very compliant. You could tell there were bumps and some rough roads but no jarring whatsoever. It feels just like I was hoping-a great performing bike that you can ride on all day without getting tired from the road buzz.

And of course it rained like heck for about an hour (the third ride in a row I've gotten drenched) so the Prince got nice and dirty on it's inaugural 40 miles-but it was so much fun I really didn't care.

After 3-4 miles I had to stop and lower the bars at least an inch. The way they were positioned it just didn't feel right...it felt like I was on a mountain bike setup. Dropping the bars immediately put me in a much better position-or at least one I was more accustomed to which is about a 4 inch difference in the saddle to the bars.

I've got Shimano shifting on the brain so badly it's going to take a few rides for the shifting on this Campy rig to be more instinctive. I have to think too much on what lever to shift. I've already got a little cable stretching so I had to stop and adjust the rear derailleur. I'm still not sure I've got it exactly right but will keep working on it. I really like the way front derailleur shifts. Lots of trim available as well. 11 speeds is way more than I need but it's pretty sweet with all the choices.

My bars slipped a little and don't have a torque wrench so I'll need to get that tightened a little. I really like the flat carbon bars-bet they'll be even better on some longer climbs. I especially like the Campy ergo Brifters......WOW what a comfortable thing they are. Just like the comfort of the frame, the comfort from the flat area where you place your hands should help the hands and arms from getting tired on the longer rides.

The setup may be just a touch too small but I figure I'll be shrinking over the years anyway!!

I still haven't figured out how to open the brake calipers......the button on the pivot point doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.

And of course I'll be color coordinated with my 50+ jersey.

I'm not any faster but I am catching lots of bugs in my teeth from the enormous grin that pops out while riding..........Maybe that's what's slowing me down!
    Last edited by jppe; 05-07-09 at 09:12 PM.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up! I'm glad I opted to live vicariously through your purchases and adventures.

OK, so about those Campy QRs... Take a look at the pic below:

We're all talking about the bigger silver button, not the little(r) one that's the pivot point for the lever. On either lever it's the upper button. If you look at the pic long enough, you'll figure out how the button slides from side to side to open up and release the levers' stopping point, which in turn opens up the skeleton brakes' travel a bit more to allow the tires to pass.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinarello was on my wish list when I bought my specialized - I loved that bikes look and I knew it would ride like a dream - but alas, the mind was willing but the pocket book was weak.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a beautiful bike! Glad to hear that it rides every bit as good as it looks. Enjoy!

That quick release button on the brake/shift lever grip was copied to my Tektro brake levers (along with the comfortable shape of the grips). I didn't realize that the campy brake calipers did not also have quick releases built in, but I guess they aren't really necessary.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, jppe! I guess I haven't been paying attention, I didn't know you were getting a Prince.
    Is there a picture thread here?
    (O.K., I found it, and it looks great).
    Last edited by big john; 05-07-09 at 09:15 PM.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
    Great write up! I'm glad I opted to live vicariously through your purchases and adventures.

OK, so about those Campy QRs... Take a look at the pic below:

We're all talking about the bigger silver button, not the little(r) one that's the pivot point for the lever. On either lever it's the upper button. If you look at the pic long enough, you'll figure out how the button slides from side to side to open up and release the levers' stopping point, which in turn opens up the skeleton brakes' travel a bit more to allow the tires to pass.
    Thanks so much!! All this time I was trying to mess with the silver "button" on the skeleton brakes instead of the levers. Got it!! BTW, the brakes are SO much better than my Zero Gravities........especially in the rain.

My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you like the ride quality of the bike. I am sure it does ride great. It looks great too.
    Jim

2008 KHS TC-150

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very happy for you. I am sure you will get lots of miles and enjoyment out of the new bike.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    All I can say is I wish all of you could spin a few miles on one of these.
    I'd much rather read your trip reports of how much you are enjoying it, than to ride it myself. My own experience would be much different than yours.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, thanks for the offer but I'm sure that one look from the bike at my "clydesdale" body figure, it would SCREAM and find a corner of the garage to hide in! I just couldn't see this body on such a fine, sleek, areo, fast, ah heck you get the picture! ENJOY!!!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1