Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-09, 10:53 PM   #1
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The bike that came in from the rain

N+1. A red Kabuki Syd followed me home in the rain. Who was I to say no?

It's in nice condition and looks like it's all original with its steel Araya rims and cotterless cranks. It even has all the proper period reflectors. It belonged to a former coworker and spent the last two years in another coworker's garage. I haven't gotten to ride it yet, but I will.

Hmmm. Steel lugged frame, made by a company directed by Grant Petersen. Could it be that I have a poor-man's Rivendell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 05-13-09 at 11:15 PM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 01:25 AM   #2
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I always liked the sound of the name Kabuki. What's the condition of the paint and do you like the graphics? Suntour derailleurs I assume, what are the shifters like? I'd have to get rid of the steel rims. Oooh, I'd have fun screwing up that bike? Is the size right?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 05:33 AM   #3
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The paint is in very good shape with just a couple of dings. The graphics are stock, saying SYD, Kabuki and Bridgestone. The chrome on the fork and rims is in good shape too. It's a 25" frame, about as big as I'd want, but not too big.

One thing that attracted my eye was all the eyelets for fenders and racks front and back and the bikes generally relaxed geometry. I'm thinking touring bike.

Yes, it has a lowend SunTour groupo, which should be fine unless I get into upgrading it. The steel wheels have to go, but they may land on my American Eagle/Nishiki which I am restomodding, and there nice steel wheels would be age appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote