User Tag List

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride pictures, a little different take

With all the recent post about reasons for participating in 50+ BF I'm not sure if this thread is viable for most, but there are some members who may find this interesting. Sunday's training ride was 3 hours of riding in Zone 2 (HR 126-137) with a 50 minute Zone 3 (138-144) interval in the middle. Nothing hard except staying/returning in the HR zones while waiting for stop lights is a little frustrating. I rode from my home to the Metroparks Parkway to avoid the strong winds, turned around at Lake Erie, then returned home the same route, but added several miles close to home to get more time in. The GPS graph shows the HR in red and it's plain to see when I had to stop and when I did the Z3 interval, speed is in blue and elevation in gold. This was my last long workout before I do a 77 mile race with 6,000' of climbing next Saturday.

oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a fun ride, kinda like Alpine Challenge (72 mi., 7,000 ft. of climbing), but that you averaged 20.1 mph is totally excellent! My ave. on a ride like that would be about 16 or 17 at the fastest!

Rick / OCRR

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!!

I enjoyed seeing everything in Blue, Red, Brown , Black and White!!

Thanks for sharing.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Sounds like a fun ride, kinda like Alpine Challenge (72 mi., 7,000 ft. of climbing), but that you averaged 20.1 mph is totally excellent! My ave. on a ride like that would be about 16 or 17 at the fastest!

Rick / OCRR
    Sunday's ride only had around 1,300' climbing, that's only one hill on any of your rides.

Here is the race link: http://www.montour75.com/Race_info..html

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure your over 50.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

That top pic looks like my lie detector readout down at Police Headquarters.

But seriously, way to go Jetster, you da man.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Sunday's ride only had around 1,300' climbing, that's only one hill on any of your rides.

Here is the race link: http://www.montour75.com/Race_info..html
    I suspect it takes about 210 watts (plus or minus) for you to go 20 mph on flat ground. I noticed from the speed variation that the terrain was pretty flat. 200 ish is a lot of power to average for hours - very good work.

My knees hit the table when I saw the 76 mile road race. That is a lot for a lowly Cat 4. Normally, that is a P/1/2 distance. However, I see it looks like a public race. Be careful. This type of event could turn into a jail break. Find some fast guys, go to the front and get out of Dodge.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty impressive.

By comparison, I did 70 miles yesterday averaging 15.2 mph and I was so tired today I drove to work even though my "bike to work" team was counting on my miles today. I am such a shirker.

I am a long way from being able to average 20 mph for 3 hours.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I suspect it takes about 210 watts (plus or minus) for you to go 20 mph on flat ground. I noticed from the speed variation that the terrain was pretty flat. 200 ish is a lot of power to average for hours - very good work.

My knees hit the table when I saw the 76 mile road race. That is a lot for a lowly Cat 4. Normally, that is a P/1/2 distance. However, I see it looks like a public race. Be careful. This type of event could turn into a jail break. Find some fast guys, go to the front and get out of Dodge.
    I might just be a Cat 4, but I'm hanging with the Master's 35+ and 45+ in races lately.

Looking at last years results it looks as if the race broke up near the end a lot of riders finished within 10 to 15 minutes of the winner. It is a public race but there were teams represented last year. I also have two brother in laws racing which will be nice at "beer time" after the race. I plan to stay at the front and am going to carry 4 bottles and skip the feed zone at mile 47. I figure that if I'm riding solo, I'll maintain a steady high Z3 pace. I have had to do three hour workouts with two hours of Z3 riding after a 1/2 hr warm-up. It gets pretty uncomfortable but I can maintain the steady state effort.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    56, but I trying not to count them anymore.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very impressive for sure ,average of 20mph wow.I did my first 57 miler a few weeks ago and averaged 16. Maybe some day I can bump it up some.

Good luck in the race Saturday too.