Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Great Escape

Last week, Ol' Fuj and I were on the brink of a significant case of PES (Postal Employee Syndrome). From April 26 through May 7, we got in the whopping total of two rides. Other than those two days, it was raining every time we had a chance to go for a spin. Between the two of us, we had had enough.

We decided to head to LA (lower Arkansas) to my mom's house. We would attempt a ride on Saturday and attend church on Sunday (Mothers' Day) with mom. There was a significant rain chance in LA, but not quite as high as in northwest AR, and it would be warmer in LA.

To keep my 93 year old mother from making a big fuss over our visit, I didn't call her until we were about two hours away on Friday night.

We got up Saturday morning to overcast skies. Quite by design, I did not watch or listen to any weather prognostications on Saturday morning. I won't start a ride in the rain, but I'll ride in it if I get caught.

We decided to ride up AR Highway 7 from El Dorado toward Camden. We had never done that ride before. We took a couple of back roads to get to highway 7.

Highway 7 is designated as a scenic byway, and as I understand it, it runs the entire length of the state south to north.

I didn't realize it until we had been a few miles, but there are no bill boards on this road. There are just miles and miles of small hills, honey suckle (which smelled really nice), pine trees, wild flowers, an occasional oil well, crows, cardinals, wood peckers, and an old buzzard (yours truly). The motorists were for the most part very courteous.

Our first big encounter on the road was the Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources.

South central Arkansas was in the very early 1920s, a boom town. Oil was discovered there, and the population grew quite rapidly in a short period of time. In my childhood and youth, one could see active oil wells all over the area. Some were aged, and some were fairly new. There were three oil refineries in the area. Two remain in operation, now.

The museum is a worthwhile stop. There are a number of displays which document the history of the oil business, the bromine business, and the Sparta aquifer among other things. When the wells were drilled, one of the by products was brine (salt water), and it was discovered that these brines were reasonably rich in bromine. There are several bromine plants in the area. I remember seeing some large waste areas with sandy soil and dead vegetation where brine was, I suppose, pumped off the oil wells. Obviously, that practice has changed, and those areas are healing. The museum features various programs and presentation. The current one highlights GPS technology

Inside the museum, there was this display of a burning well.

The drillers hit a gas pocket, and the well eventually exploded and created the crater. When I was old enough to drive, we went to the crater once in a while and shot our .22 *****s We tossed cans and bottles down into it and tried to sink them before they could do so on their own. You could still see oil bubbling up occasionally. The crater is still there, but it is a state attraction and is under fence.

After the brief stop at the museum, Fuj and I continued on up the road toward Smackover, AR which like El Dorado was a boom town way back when.

You can Google Smackover to get to the Chamber of Commerce site, click on "history" and learn about the name. Fuj and I get to go to the neatest places... Alma, Hogeye, LeCompte, Smackover..... eat your hearts out.

Highway 7 was resplendent with various and sundry wild flowers. To wit:

As I mentioned earlier the honeysuckle was also blooming, and the air was filled with that fragrance.

The road is walled with trees, oak, hickory, sweet gum (I believe people on the West Coast call these liquid amber), and pines.

We made it to Camden but not before encountering a light rain. We were, however, prepared for it, so no problem.

We made it back to mom's house with 63 miles in the bag. We needed to do this as my birthday was Sunday, May 10, and I did not get to do a birthday ride in '08 due to, what else, foul weather.

Perhaps the best part of this experience awaited me. If you will recall, there was or is a "you're too skinny" thread on 50+. As I had burned a little over 2,300 calories on this ride, I felt like eating, and as usual, my mom felt like cooking.

If there was ever a "win-win" situation, this was it. REAL fried okra, purple hull peas, home made cornbread (with yellow corn meal from War Eagle Mill [water-powered grist mill] in northwest AR), a pasta casserole, and ham. Ice cream and strawberries for dessert. I ate with wild abandon (multiple helpings), which made my mother a happy camper. Had I let her in on my plans to visit, she would have had a cherry pie ready.

About 45 minutes after we got in from the ride, the bottom fell out. Big thunderstorm. Who cares. We finally got in a decent ride and a birthday ride!!! We made to church on Sunday, and my older brother drove in to attend as well. A great weekend!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    REAL fried okra, purple hull peas, home made cornbread (with yellow corn meal from War Eagle Mill [water-powered grist mill] in northwest AR), a pasta casserole, and ham. Ice cream and strawberries for dessert.
    Great post.

I think this could be the "meal of the year" so far...

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have much in common in our upbringings.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for another great ride report!

Fried okra - one of my favorites
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual, another great ride and report, Doc.

I thought stapfam was the food pic champ...but now it's a whole new ballgame.

My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent ride report. Sounds like you and Fuj had a great time. Glad you were able to make it there before the thunderstorm.
    Jim

2008 KHS TC-150

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ummmm, first breakfast....

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That can't be breakfast, there's no pancakes and eggs! Nice report, I guess I have to get out of New England to experience fried Okra, whatever that is.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills View Post
    That can't be breakfast, there's no pancakes and eggs! Nice report, I guess I have to get out of New England to experience fried Okra, whatever that is.
    That must be what's wrong with me. I would eat that for breakfast

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling and food: a match made in heaven.

Talk to me about okra. How does one prepare it so that it is not the slimiest,most disgusting food on the planet? That's what it was like when I steamed some frozen okra.

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun fact: In the movie "The Great Escape", the guys who use trains, buses, motorcycles and airplanes get recaptured. The guy who rides a bicycle makes it.

tcs
    Last edited by tcs; 05-13-09 at 06:54 AM.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    As usual, another great ride and report, Doc.

I thought stapfam was the food pic champ...but now it's a whole new ballgame.
    I don't recognise most of the food- but I would have to agree. What would have happened if you ridden your mothers age and given her more time to cook?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
    Cycling and food: a match made in heaven.

Talk to me about okra. How does one prepare it so that it is not the slimiest,most disgusting food on the planet? That's what it was like when I steamed some frozen okra.
    Stir it up in a mixture of flour and yellow corn meal. Place it in a skillet with some oil and fry it very slowly until it begins to turn brown. When prepared in that fashion, it is not slimy. Also, it's good in a gumbo.

This reminds me of when we lived in the Chicagoland area. There were folks up there who had never heard of okra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    What would have happened if you ridden your mothers age and given her more time to cook?
    Had she had more time to cook, there would likely have been cherry pie or strawberry pie for dessert, I would have eaten even more, and would have required assistance to move my engorged carcass away from the table.