Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Double Century for some 50+ers this weekend

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Double Century for some 50+ers this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 09:37 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DanteB
Everyone, have a great ride. Be sure to take on plenty of fluids. Rick I can't wait for your report. I'll be doing a 3 day 180 ride on the central coast.
That sounds like fun! Where abouts will you ride?
Group ride? Tour? Take lots of photos!
Old 05-13-09, 11:25 AM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Now that really would have been a shame. As a 300K is 186.4 miles, and riding another 12 would have left you at 198.4.

But you probably would have picked up the extra 1.6 just riding around before and after.
actual route was over 188, but once I got to the finish my behind told me getting over 200 miles just wasn't necessary, particularly since it had just turned dark. A couple of people went over 200 miles by getting lost. I was fairly happy I didn't do that.
Old 05-13-09, 02:13 PM

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
That sounds like fun! Where abouts will you ride?
Group ride? Tour? Take lots of photos!
We'll ride the first day from Paso Robles to Cayucos and stay the night there. The next morning we'll do a century from Cayucos to San Luis Obispo, visiting Cambria, Montana de Oro and then out to Avila Beach. The last day is SLO to Pismo and back to SLO. It's a fund raiser for the American Lung Asso.
Old 05-13-09, 10:31 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by t4mv
Hehe, good luck, Curtis and Rick; today is the 30th anniversary of the first time I rode the DC, which back then was called the Heart of California Double Century. While I can appreciate finishing in the light, there's something to be said for riding after sunset on the run in to Davis. Back then the last 50 miles was pretty much where the Capay Valley flattened out and they were just running you around farm country to get the miles in; well, it was a hot ride (I guess like this weekend's supposed to be) and a couple of us were just gassed from plodding around in it all day (no ice socks, ice cream, or other fun things to cool you off back then), but once it cooled off and the full moon came out, we picked up another rider's private sag, and we just blasted the last 50 miles or so in about 2.5 hrs. It was almost like two different rides within the same ride, packed into a long day.

Man, 30 years goes by so fast, sometimes...
Nice to see you here. Are you really old enough to play in this sandbox? 'Cause I'd've bet that you're at least 10 years younger.

DD was on my list of rides this year, because I want to ride a double, but no, I did a century and crashed, so I'm out of the picture. Considering the Knoxville Double, though.

I have this burning desire to know what it's like to ride a double. It's another envelope to push, another curiosity to satisfy.
Old 05-13-09, 10:37 PM
Don't mince words

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I did my first last year. It was epic. The temps were well over 100. I was so proud, then i found out there wasn't a jersey. That's like going to a rock concert and not getting a tee-shirt. How do you know you really did it?

So I signed up again so, mostly for the jersey.

Link to my blog entries about the ride.
I love this, Curtis. That you'd ride 200+ miles for a friggin' jersey. You're crazy in a lovable way.

When I did my first century I bought the jersey and the finisher's certificate, to prove I did it. Now it's all about satisfying a need on a deeper level. An attractive jersey is icing on the cake.

I hope you have tailwinds the whole way. And is Pete doing this fixed?
Old 05-13-09, 10:44 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

And is Pete doing this fixed?
I think we talked Pete (aka 50 forum member Taxi777) out of that madness. At least I hope we did.
Now it's all about satisfying a need on a deeper level.
I don't think I have a deeper level.

Now, couldn't you stoke the tandem? Reg is still open...

In any event, we'll get together with ya'all sometime afterward. Beverages have been wagered!
Old 05-13-09, 10:58 PM
Don't mince words

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think we talked Pete (aka 50 forum member Taxi777) out of that madness. At least I hope we did.

I don't think I have a deeper level.

Now, couldn't you stoke the tandem? Reg is still open...

In any event, we'll get together with ya'all sometime afterward. Beverages have been wagered!
And we're available for said beverages to be delivered.

I could stoke the tandem, sure. Cgallagh is the captain of said tandem, however, and he's given me a solid thumb-down on this ride. Seriously, we lost our base miles and do ride this would be pure torture. We'll work on him for next year, 'k?

Meanwhile, holla b/c we'll be home all weekend. Except for a couple early-morning rides. We're working a SAG stop for the Monticello Century on Sunday. If you're still out on the road by then we'll make sure you get a ride home.
Old 05-13-09, 11:02 PM
Erect member since 1953

holla b/c we'll be home all weekend.
Get this: I hope to be home by 11pm. I've signed up for a Sunday bike repair class that starts at 9am and goes 8 hours. I hope I'm not over doing it by toooooooo much. But my weekend is booked, booked and overbooked!

I'll report on my bike repair class in the forums.
Old 05-13-09, 11:26 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Nice to see you here. Are you really old enough to play in this sandbox? 'Cause I'd've bet that you're at least 10 years younger.
Well, I kept knocking on the door and this guy kept asking me if I knew somebody named Sandy Eggo, and brought any pie?? You're very sweet to think I don't belong here, but here's proof that you can be a 50+ and still have fun with those young guys..

This is my younger son and I at the observatories on top of Mt Hamilton a couple weekends ago. I've now accomplished dragging all members of my immediate family to the top of Hamilton on the tandem.

Deb, if you have any interest in riding a double, I would see if cgallagh wants to do it with you on the tandem bacause it's really quite an experience and while parts of it are easier with two, other bits are not, but the overall experience will make it worth it. And Davis is probably the best first double to do, especially since it's right there in your backyard, too.
Old 05-14-09, 11:09 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Considering the Knoxville Double, though.
I have this burning desire to know what it's like to ride a double. It's another envelope to push, another curiosity to satisfy.
What do you mean "Considering?"

I was thinking it would read "I'm committed to riding the Knoxville Double though!" I've given you the sales pitch on the Knoxville Double so many times, I promise not to repeat it here . . .

You can do it Red, it's a wonderful experience (doubles in general, but Knoxville in particular).

I am wearing my Quackcyclist socks today though! Definitely the coolest socks ever for doubles riders!

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-14-09, 07:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
What do you mean "Considering?"

I was thinking it would read "I'm committed to riding the Knoxville Double though!" I've given you the sales pitch on the Knoxville Double so many times, I promise not to repeat it here . . .

You can do it Red, it's a wonderful experience (doubles in general, but Knoxville in particular).

I am wearing my Quackcyclist socks today though! Definitely the coolest socks ever for doubles riders!

Rick / OCRR
Red, after riding a double your freinds will think you should be "committed". No, you should do one just for the expirence. Rick would be a great guy to do your first double with.
Old 05-16-09, 02:01 PM
Don't mince words

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. I can always count on 50+ers to be supportive.

My only commitment is to healing my broken bone and getting rehabbed so I can ride my half-bike again. Chris has no interest in a tandem double century (or any double, for that matter). I won't nag him; when and if he's ready we'll do it. Until that time however I'm on my own.
Old 05-17-09, 06:16 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Davis was brutal but we all survived! Saw Pete and Curtis, plus Ron but not too many others. 107 degrees climbing Resurection about 2:00 PM.

Ice socks saved me, but still, it was brutal. My time was much slower than usual, right at 16 hours. At least I finished in daylight (barely) after a 4:30 AM (approx.) start.

Cobb was brutal too, climbing about noon (that's where I met Curtis for the first time), but at least it was ten degrees cooler than Resurection, plus there was some shade on Cobb.

Still, it was a fun ride, the Davis club did a great job with it, and except for the heat (oh, and the headwind climbing Resurection), it was all good!

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 05-17-09 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-17-09, 07:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Davis was brutal but we all survived! Saw Pete and Curtis, plus Ron but not too many others. 107 degrees climbing Resurection about 2:00 PM.

Ice socks saved me, but still, it was brutal. My time was much slower than usual, right at 16 hours. At least I finished in daylight (barely) after a 4:30 AM (approx.) start.

Cobb was brutal too, climbing about noon (that's where I met Curtis for the first time), but at least it was ten degrees cooler than Resurection, plus there was some shade Cobb.

Still, it was a fun ride, the Davis club did a great job with it, and except for the heat (oh, and the headwind climbing Resurection), it was all good!

Rick / OCRR
Great job Rick! I've done Davis when its been hot like that and it makes for a lonnnnnnng day.

Last edited by DanteB; 05-18-09 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-17-09, 09:01 PM
Erect member since 1953

Wow. Amazing heat. Not as hot as last year on Cobb, but I swear it was as hot or hotter on Resurection. Rick, where dis you get your 104 number? I believe it.

I was very nice happening into Rick, who is one strong rider. We bemped into each other 2 or three times. Pretty amazing, especially considering I lost two people who started with me and I expected to ride with after 60 miles and never saw them again.

A ton of people sagged in. I was very proud to have lived through it and really happy that I didn't have to stop on any of the climbs.

Here's a photo of Pete (Taxi777)
Old 05-17-09, 09:40 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Wow. Amazing heat. Not as hot as last year on Cobb, but I swear it was as hot or hotter on Resurection. Rick, where dis you get your 104 number? I believe it.
Actually Curtis,

I got that number from a rider who was sitting in the 2nd Fire Station with me as we enjoyed our grilled cheese sandwiches, but with a ref. to Resurection, much earlier in the day. Someone also told me 110, but that seemed a bit over the top.

Good to see you so many times throughout the day, Cobb, Lunch, the Post Ride Dinner . . . maybe somewhere else? Hope your podcast came out well!

I will write one of my complete reports within the next few days; complete that is, with all the boring details, and the fun bits along with "Just how hot was it out there?"

Jackie was there to greet me at the finish, so I'm glad you and Pete got to meet her too (even if she was grading papers, . . . as usual)!

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 05-18-09 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-17-09, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Congratulations to all the riders. Sounds like you really earned those post ride beers.
Old 05-17-09, 09:52 PM
Erect member since 1953

My long report, with photos, is over in norCal
https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/542194-davis-double-report.html
post 41

Does anyone know how to like to a specific post?
Old 05-17-09, 10:31 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know how to like to a specific post?
Here's a direct link to Curtis' report.

Nicely done, gentlemen, nicely done.
Old 05-17-09, 11:55 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
All the suffering, heat exhaustion, lack of energy, accidents, sunburn, cramps, dillusions, illusions, hallucinations, sore feet, chafing, ice socks. I SO want to do this ride!
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-18-09, 08:00 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
I SO want to do this ride!
That's the spirit Mojo Slim

You would love the Davis Double . It's all fun and a good day on the bike! Plus, the Davis club does a totally wonderful job of rider support. Hope to see you there next year .

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-19-09, 12:00 PM
Erect member since 1953

Blatant blog shill:
https://ccorlew.blogspot.com/2009/05/...tury-2009.html
Curtis gets all philosophical about doing the double.
Old 05-20-09, 06:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually Curtis,
I will write one of my complete reports within the next few days; complete that is, with all the boring details, and the fun bits along with "Just how hot was it out there?"
Rick / OCRR

Rick...you have an eager readership out here-- but we're hanging in there.
Old 05-21-09, 08:27 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
Rick...you have an eager readership out here-- but we're hanging in there.
Sorry Velo Fellow,

It's been a busy week so I haven't gotten to it yet. Hang in there a bit longer, I will get to it!

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-21-09, 09:24 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good work!!