Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Double Century for some 50+ers this weekend (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/540911-double-century-some-50-ers-weekend.html)

cccorlew 05-12-09 04:07 PM

Double Century for some 50+ers this weekend

Yep, Rick@OCRR and my own bad self are going to attempt the Davis Double Century this Saturday. That's 200 miles. TWO HUNDRED MILES. So if either of us go missing you'll know what happened.

The forecast is for a high of 97. Today is perfect, but NO, we're heating up the weekend just for this ride.

I just wanted credit now for signing up in case I don't make it back.

Rick@OCRR 05-12-09 04:28 PM

No worries Curtis,

You'll do fine. I've done Davis three times, but I've missed the last 3 years due to the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour being on the same date. This year Jackie and I decided to stay home from MN/WI and ride the Davis Double again.

It was my first CA double back in '03. It was also on my list of "Rides to do Before I Die" that I made back in the 70's. Great ride anyway, more of you should join us!

Rick / OCRR

PS: What time are you starting?

cccorlew 05-12-09 04:45 PM

I hope to be on the road at 4 or very very shortly thereafter. I'd like to finish before dark. I don't mind starting in the dark, but a daylight finish is a lot cheerier.

Pete (Taxi777 from here and NorCal) and I will be leaving the East Bay Area around 3:30. We;ll check in and do dinner, then try to get to sleep early.

For folks that might be interested
http://davisbikeclub.org/ddc/2009/index.htm

They have a nice jersey this year, (and they only do a jersey every 5 years!) which is at least 60% of my reason for going.

http://davisbikeclub.org/ddc/2009/jersey_front.jpg

Mojo Slim 05-12-09 04:50 PM

OK. I'll come along. Oh, wait. I'm expecting a head ache that day. Have fun. Take pictures.

cccorlew 05-12-09 04:53 PM

I'll do photos. I also plan to do an audio report for the Fredcast cycling podcast. I have a tiny audio recorder. I'll just have to see if I can think enough to actually make it work during the ride.

I had hoped to wear the Fredcast jersey I ordered, but I don't think it will be here in time.

t4mv 05-12-09 05:05 PM

Hehe, good luck, Curtis and Rick; today is the 30th anniversary of the first time I rode the DC, which back then was called the Heart of California Double Century. While I can appreciate finishing in the light, there's something to be said for riding after sunset on the run in to Davis. Back then the last 50 miles was pretty much where the Capay Valley flattened out and they were just running you around farm country to get the miles in; well, it was a hot ride (I guess like this weekend's supposed to be) and a couple of us were just gassed from plodding around in it all day (no ice socks, ice cream, or other fun things to cool you off back then), but once it cooled off and the full moon came out, we picked up another rider's private sag, and we just blasted the last 50 miles or so in about 2.5 hrs. It was almost like two different rides within the same ride, packed into a long day.

Man, 30 years goes by so fast, sometimes...

cccorlew 05-12-09 05:10 PM

30 years ago. Wow.
I was riding then, but I thought of the Davis Double as being an impossible feat. Something only cycling gods would even attempt. I'd do 60 miles, but that was a big deal for me, even though I rode a lot. I bet I'm slower now, but I can ride all day.

30 years does go by so fast, and yet sometimes it seems like yesterday I was wearing my Bell Biker and reaching for those downtube friction shifters.

bjjoondo 05-12-09 05:13 PM

Good Luck, I hope you have a sucessful D-Century Ride!:thumb: I don't know if I'll ever get back to 100 or more miles in a day, my last was in 1984, the League of American Wheelmen, had a "set" of patches that formed a circle 25/50/62/100 I still have them setting in my junk drawer, I may have to "mount" them for inspriation to do it again!:thumb: Enjoy and do great, most of all have FUN!:D

big john 05-12-09 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 8905826)
Yep, Rick@OCRR and my own bad self are going to attempt the Davis Double Century this Saturday. That's 200 miles. TWO HUNDRED MILES. So if either of us go missing you'll know what happened.

The forecast is for a high of 97. Today is perfect, but NO, we're heating up the weekend just for this ride.

I just wanted credit now for signing up in case I don't make it back.

Will this be your first double? I know Rick has done a bunch of them, like maybe 30.

cccorlew 05-12-09 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 8906230)
Will this be your first double? I know Rick has done a bunch of them, like maybe 30.

I did my first last year. It was epic. The temps were well over 100. I was so proud, then i found out there wasn't a jersey. That's like going to a rock concert and not getting a tee-shirt. How do you know you really did it?

So I signed up again so, mostly for the jersey.

Link to my blog entries about the ride.

Hermes 05-12-09 05:58 PM

Good luck to both of you. I am really getting into sprinting. 200 meters and 13 seconds and it is over. Head into the infield and relax, chat with buddies and etc. 200 miles and XX hours on the bike seems harsh.:D

cccorlew 05-12-09 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 8906435)
Good luck to both of you. I am really getting into sprinting. 200 meters and 13 seconds and it is over. Head into the infield and relax, chat with buddies and etc. 200 miles and XX hours on the bike seems harsh.:D

I'm calling BS on this! I just saw your training post, and it seems to me it lasted a bit longer than 13 seconds. :D

Hermes 05-12-09 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 8906464)
I'm calling BS on this! I just saw your training post, and it seems to me it lasted a bit longer than 13 seconds. :D

Hey, a typical sprint event is 200 meters and is over in 13 seconds. We then tally our gains / losses. However, to do it in 13 seconds is another matter and requires a little training.:D For the double century, it is over in 200 miles and XX hours. And the training is by no means trivial.:p

BengeBoy 05-12-09 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 8906031)
They have a nice jersey this year, (and they only do a jersey every 5 years!) which is at least 60% of my reason for going.

So, since you lost all that weight, you need a whole new jersey wardrobe?

Hermes 05-12-09 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 8906519)
So, since you lost all that weight, you need a whole new jersey wardrobe?

That is a great point. He will have to go for "race cut" jerseys now.:D Or take them to a taylor and get material taken out of the gut.:roflmao2:

cyclinfool 05-12-09 06:34 PM

Good luck. All I plan for this weekend is a metric - and that will be hard enough.

Tom Bombadil 05-12-09 07:34 PM

cccorlew

Are you looking for a jersey like this?
http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/0700072PART

cccorlew 05-12-09 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 8906990)
cccorlew

Are you looking for a jersey like this?
http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/0700072PART

Yep. Apparently my endless google-fu failed me.
I keep hoping I'll see one on eBay used for a bit less.

How did you find this one, Master Bombadil?

But thanks. I'll have to check my pennies and see if i have that much right now.

zonatandem 05-12-09 10:41 PM

bjjoondo:
Yup, got the LAW 1984 and 1985 set of patches that you mentioned for 25/50/63/100 miles.
We own a couple jackets with most of our patches from the 'old days' sewed on. Quite colorful. Also LAW double metric and double century patches.
The nice thing about patches is you can put lots of them on a jacket, but with T-shirts or jerseys, you can only wear one at the time.
At age 76, no longer do the longer events but have well over a hunded centuries, double metrics + half dozen double centuries under the tires. Many of those long distance events were done on tandem with my wife/stoker Kay, although she never got involved with anything longer than 125 a day.
My goal was to be able to do a double in 12 hours; finally achieved that in my early 60s.
Nice to see that folks are still taking on the doubles challenge!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

unterhausen 05-12-09 10:49 PM

I rode a 300k on May 2. I thought about riding an extra 12 miles to make it a round 200 miles, but it didn't seem that urgent given that I'm riding a 400k this coming Saturday. 200 miles is pretty epic. Have fun, that jersey looks nice.

DanteB 05-12-09 11:01 PM

Everyone, have a great ride. Be sure to take on plenty of fluids. Rick I can't wait for your report. I'll be doing a 3 day 180 ride on the central coast.

gpelpel 05-12-09 11:04 PM

Have a grand time!

Rick@OCRR 05-12-09 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 8906230)

Pretty close big john,

Actually, counting CA doubles only, it's 35 and Davis will be 36 (hopefully!).

That doesn't count all my prev. doubles in MO and IL, or the ones that were part of 400 and 600 KM Brevets, or the one on BAM, or two on PBP. My first was in '84 when I was 34, CDC, Central Double Century, Litchfield, IL. On the first day of BAM (Bicycle Across Missouri) in '85 we rode 272 miles the first day.

My goal is to get to 50 CA doubles while I'm still 60 . . . have to see how that goes! That means I have to ride 15 more CA doubles by the end of 2010.

Rick / OCRR

Tom Bombadil 05-13-09 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 8908198)
I rode a 300k on May 2. I thought about riding an extra 12 miles to make it a round 200 miles, but it didn't seem that urgent given that I'm riding a 400k this coming Saturday. 200 miles is pretty epic. Have fun, that jersey looks nice.

Now that really would have been a shame. As a 300K is 186.4 miles, and riding another 12 would have left you at 198.4.

But you probably would have picked up the extra 1.6 just riding around before and after.

Tom Bombadil 05-13-09 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 8907027)
How did you find this one, Master Bombadil?

Just lucked into it when googling.

I found it in less than 2 minutes of searching.