Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-12-09, 07:26 PM   #1
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another type of Century for some 50+r's

Read the post from cccorlew & Rick @ OCRR doing the Davis Double Century this coming weekend. KUDOS to anyone who would even attempt such a feat !
Several members here will be busy Monday, May 18th, with our own challenge, climbing up the highest point east of the Mississippi for the 34th Annual Assault on Mt. Mitchell. I know that both jppe & I will be enjoying the sufferfest from Spartanburg to the 6,684ft summit. Last year the weather was Carolina blue sky & warm (99deg in Marion, NC, 90+ on the Blue Ridge Parkway, 80+ at the top of Mitchell). This year with a month earlier ride date, we can hope it's a bit more more temperate.
Early forecast is for 57deg at the start, 67deg high for the day, and then that pesky 60% chance of a shower or isolated thunderstorm. I'd likely need to get cleaned up anyway somewhere along the line, saves me taking a shower after the finish...Wish us Godspeed.

http://www.freewheelers.info/aomm/
PAlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 08:49 PM   #2
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Good luck to you both. I was wondering when that event was going to happen. Looking forward to a report.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 08:56 PM   #3
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
This thread could be alternatively titled:

"Another type of Hell for some 50+r's"

I admire those who can pull stuff like this off.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 08:48 AM   #4
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Good luck and don't forget to "toss them bottles" before the top.
Old 05-13-09, 09:00 AM   #5
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Mt. Mitchell is an excellent ride. I did it back in '88 when I still lived in St.Louis. It was a 13 hr. drive in my Corolla, but well worth it.

We had quite the variety of weather, from warm sunshine to cold rain and then snow when we were at the top of Mitchell. It was so foggy they wouldn't let the transport busses up the mountain to pick us up, so Rangers gave the cyclists rides down in their personal and service vehicles . . .

What an experience! Hope both of you have a fine ride up Mitchell while Curtis and I are on the Davis Double.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 09:59 AM   #6
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow! That sounds like a flippin' ride.
The links seem to be borked today. So how much climbing and how far is this painfest?
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 12:06 PM   #7
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
Wow! That sounds like a flippin' ride.
The links seem to be borked today. So how much climbing and how far is this painfest?
Looks to me like its a 100 miler... did not see climb info .... though it seems to be just one mile between rest stops 6 and 7 on the route, so it must be a ****** of a mile!

http://www.freewheelers.info/aomm/reststop.html
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 05:58 PM   #8
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The stats are 102 miles and 11,000+ feet of climbing. What's makes it so challenging is the last 25 miles has 5000 feet of climbing. Fortunately there isn't anything too terribly steep but you don't really get a break from pedaling for about 2.5-3 hours as it's 95% uphill. It is a much a mental challenge as anything. You see a sign when you get on the Parkway..... you've ridden 87 miles so you know it's only 15 miles to the top. Then you calculate your average speed at 7-8 mph and know you have 2 more hours......ugh

PAlt is really ready and has been climbing exceptionally well and will definitely be setting some PR's on this one. Yours truly hasn't been training at a hard pace and will pay the price those last 25 miles. There's no way I can come close to my record time and will probably be about half way between my PR and my worst time. Just looking to survive this one.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to ride the 5900-which I normally use on all my climbing centuries or take a chance on the Prince. I haven't even had it a week but I do have over 150 miles on it. I just haven't done any long climbing rides on it. I think I have it close enough to not have any pains or issues but I sure would hate to start having knee pains with 20 miles to go. I sure do like the way it climbs though.......
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 06:13 PM   #9
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
Good luck and don't forget to "toss them bottles" before the top.
bottles ain't all i'd be tossing
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 09:01 PM   #10
CrankyFranky

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!
It's great to see you guys taking this challenge... best of luck with the weather and the machines and the knees, etc. Hope to hear a nice report after. Way to go!
CrankyFranky is offline   Reply With Quote