Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another type of Century for some 50+r's

Read the post from cccorlew & Rick @ OCRR doing the Davis Double Century this coming weekend. KUDOS to anyone who would even attempt such a feat !
    Several members here will be busy Monday, May 18th, with our own challenge, climbing up the highest point east of the Mississippi for the 34th Annual Assault on Mt. Mitchell. I know that both jppe & I will be enjoying the sufferfest from Spartanburg to the 6,684ft summit. Last year the weather was Carolina blue sky & warm (99deg in Marion, NC, 90+ on the Blue Ridge Parkway, 80+ at the top of Mitchell). This year with a month earlier ride date, we can hope it's a bit more more temperate.
    Early forecast is for 57deg at the start, 67deg high for the day, and then that pesky 60% chance of a shower or isolated thunderstorm. I'd likely need to get cleaned up anyway somewhere along the line, saves me taking a shower after the finish...Wish us Godspeed.

http://www.freewheelers.info/aomm/

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to you both. I was wondering when that event was going to happen. Looking forward to a report.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread could be alternatively titled:

"Another type of Hell for some 50+r's"

I admire those who can pull stuff like this off.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and don't forget to "toss them bottles" before the top.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mt. Mitchell is an excellent ride. I did it back in '88 when I still lived in St.Louis. It was a 13 hr. drive in my Corolla, but well worth it.

We had quite the variety of weather, from warm sunshine to cold rain and then snow when we were at the top of Mitchell. It was so foggy they wouldn't let the transport busses up the mountain to pick us up, so Rangers gave the cyclists rides down in their personal and service vehicles . . .

What an experience! Hope both of you have a fine ride up Mitchell while Curtis and I are on the Davis Double.

Rick / OCRR

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That sounds like a flippin' ride.
    The links seem to be borked today. So how much climbing and how far is this painfest?
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Wow! That sounds like a flippin' ride.
    The links seem to be borked today. So how much climbing and how far is this painfest?
    Looks to me like its a 100 miler... did not see climb info .... though it seems to be just one mile between rest stops 6 and 7 on the route, so it must be a ****** of a mile!

http://www.freewheelers.info/aomm/reststop.html

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stats are 102 miles and 11,000+ feet of climbing. What's makes it so challenging is the last 25 miles has 5000 feet of climbing. Fortunately there isn't anything too terribly steep but you don't really get a break from pedaling for about 2.5-3 hours as it's 95% uphill. It is a much a mental challenge as anything. You see a sign when you get on the Parkway..... you've ridden 87 miles so you know it's only 15 miles to the top. Then you calculate your average speed at 7-8 mph and know you have 2 more hours......ugh

PAlt is really ready and has been climbing exceptionally well and will definitely be setting some PR's on this one. Yours truly hasn't been training at a hard pace and will pay the price those last 25 miles. There's no way I can come close to my record time and will probably be about half way between my PR and my worst time. Just looking to survive this one.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to ride the 5900-which I normally use on all my climbing centuries or take a chance on the Prince. I haven't even had it a week but I do have over 150 miles on it. I just haven't done any long climbing rides on it. I think I have it close enough to not have any pains or issues but I sure would hate to start having knee pains with 20 miles to go. I sure do like the way it climbs though.......

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Good luck and don't forget to "toss them bottles" before the top.
    bottles ain't all i'd be tossing
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great to see you guys taking this challenge... best of luck with the weather and the machines and the knees, etc. Hope to hear a nice report after. Way to go!