User Tag List

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sort of An Old Friend (pics)

Road the Specialized Sirrus Comp today. although she's only a year old, she she seems like an old friend. Just really getting back into it last year I did several long rides on the Sirrus including a 97 miler, several 40, 60 milers. The fit, shifting, everything, felt just right. Got my Roubaix this year and still it hasn't felt this way, but then, it took a while for the Sirrus to feel just right too.

Any reason why I should think the same thing won't happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out on the road with an OCR3. Not a great bike but a good starter and it was good enough for several metrics-a couple of centuries and a trip up a mountain in its first year. I did realise its faults though and Got Boreas. Top rate Frame and forks and built up with components I could afford. I meant to keep the OCR as a winter/foul weather bike but later in the year did a ride to the LBS in 30mph winds and heavy rain. Decided it was not good enough as a Winter bike so rode away from the LBS after ordering a TCR-C frame to build up.

I still have the OCR but I keep it as a loaner bike. There is no way I want to ride that thing again after Boreas and the TCR. It may have been the bike that started me off riding- but it wasn't till I got Boreas that I realised what a good bike feels like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like you are saying that the Roubaix will feel better? Road it today and I think I am getting into the rhythm of the shifting. As I said, it took awhile with the Sirrus too, so I think it will be better. I was also in much better shape at this time of the year last year, maybe that has something to do with it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    It seems like you are saying that the Roubaix will feel better? Road it today and I think I am getting into the rhythm of the shifting. As I said, it took awhile with the Sirrus too, so I think it will be better. I was also in much better shape at this time of the year last year, maybe that has something to do with it.
    Have to admit that Boreas felt and rode great- right from the start. Didn't even change the saddle for 6 months

But the TCR did take a while to settle down. Could not get used to the ride of C.F. and could not get the tyre pressure right. That did need a change of wheels to correct.

My main problem when I changed from an upright bike to a road set up- Was the bars. On the OCR- I rarely rode in the drops unless it was necessary. Being that low hurt the back after about 20 seconds- so I practised getting into the drops. Straight road and down I would go till the back ached. Later in the ride and back no longer hurting and I would try it again. Took a few rides but I got used to that funny position and although I do not use it all the time- Into headwinds- downhill or if I do want some speed- and I am comfortable. The other thing that worried me was the higher gearing and it was not till I got Boreas with a compact double- I found out that I could not pull a 52 big ring.

Only thing to do is get out and ride.

Bars too low?- give it a couple more rides before raising the stem.

Gearing too high?- ride in the middle ring till the legs get used to spinning and then putting on power when spinning to get to a higher gear.

Don't like going up hills with the higher gearing? Find smaller hills till you get used to it.

Lots of things you will have to adjust on the bike- but the main one is you. But once you get used to the Roubaix- The Sirrus will become the "Spare" or the "Loaner".
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Have to admit that Boreas felt and rode great- right from the start. Didn't even change the saddle for 6 months

But the TCR did take a while to settle down. Could not get used to the ride of C.F. and could not get the tyre pressure right. That did need a change of wheels to correct.

My main problem when I changed from an upright bike to a road set up- Was the bars. On the OCR- I rarely rode in the drops unless it was necessary. Being that low hurt the back after about 20 seconds- so I practised getting into the drops. Straight road and down I would go till the back ached. Later in the ride and back no longer hurting and I would try it again. Took a few rides but I got used to that funny position and although I do not use it all the time- Into headwinds- downhill or if I do want some speed- and I am comfortable. The other thing that worried me was the higher gearing and it was not till I got Boreas with a compact double- I found out that I could not pull a 52 big ring.

Only thing to do is get out and ride.

Bars too low?- give it a couple more rides before raising the stem.

Gearing too high?- ride in the middle ring till the legs get used to spinning and then putting on power when spinning to get to a higher gear.

Don't like going up hills with the higher gearing? Find smaller hills till you get used to it.

Lots of things you will have to adjust on the bike- but the main one is you. But once you get used to the Roubaix- The Sirrus will become the "Spare" or the "Loaner".

Thanks Step, that is what I kind of thought, and was hoping to hear. I will keep at it and I think one day I will wonder what I was fussing about. HTFU methinks.