Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: A different status report

I'm afraid of blood. I grow queasy if I hear about it or think too much about needles, etc. That's why I donate occasionally.

First, the good news - despite needing to drop 30 more lbs my blood pressure was 110/62, pulse 56, and temp 97. [this is the tie-in to cycling]

Second, the odd news - besides being O negative my blood has something called "vnc negative". Apparently only 33k people in the US are in that group. Don't ask me what it means but it's apparently a good thing.

Oh - and despite much too long a wait the donation went quickly and I didn't suffer chills, faints, or other issues. Whew!
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reminder. I am just plain old type B+, but I donated blood annually for about 20 years and need to get back into the habit of doing so.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    I'm afraid of blood. I grow queasy if I hear about it or think too much about needles, etc. That's why I donate occasionally.

First, the good news - despite needing to drop 30 more lbs my blood pressure was 110/62, pulse 56, and temp 97. [this is the tie-in to cycling
    ]

Second, the odd news - besides being O negative my blood has something called "vnc negative". Apparently only 33k people in the US are in that group. Don't ask me what it means but it's apparently a good thing.

Oh - and despite much too long a wait the donation went quickly and I didn't suffer chills, faints, or other issues. Whew
    !
    = $, = more bike swag and bling.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd live to give bood. I'm Type A-.

Unfortunately, as a young man, I contracted Mono and let it morph into Hepatitus. So, I'm off the donor list.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This past Monday I donated my 80th unit at the Southcenter Puget Sound Blood Center.

I also donated blood when I lived in California, so I've probably (unofficially) donated over 100 units in my lifetime. Mr. East Hill has donated 72 units!

Thumbs up to those of you who can, and do, donate!

East Hill

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a 6-gallon donor, but I finally gave it up because it was taking too long for me to recover. Due to the cycling, my HR is pretty low - doc has measured it in his office in the 50s and it'll be 52 while sitting at my desk at work - but that doesn't seem to help my genetics, so my BP is still marginal at 128/86 or thereabouts.