Thread: The stick

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stick

Last winter when on an annual ski trip there was a young guy in our group who brought along a thing called "the stick". http://www.thestick.net/

It is basically a muscle massager. I used it on the trip - every morning and evening, I was able to ski the bumps all day and go at it again the next day where as years past my muscles were shot after two days. I have been using it before and after rides this spring and it is working well for me. I don't have nearly the stiffness and I warm up faster. Again - I am using it in the morning before I go out and at night before bed. Not very expensive (I got it through amazon.com) and seems to help roll out those muscles.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one to loosen up sore calves, tight ITB band, etc., after running. It gives you a nice massage. The one I've got is about 2.5' long, but you can get other sizes and stiffnesses.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks interesting. I currently use several different wooden roller thingies to work on various muscles.
    When my kids were very little I would get them to walk on my back. Oooo..that felt good.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the foam roller. http://www.performbetter.com/SearchR...tegoryID_E_235

I started doing this about a year ago. We have them at our gym and I do a set after cycling. It is unclear to me how much it helps. I will say that I can put my full weight on the "hard" version of the foam roller and it may hurt a little. When I started, It hurt like hell to put any weight on the roller. With this device, you use your body weight to control intensity.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not tried anything with a hard core - although I used a rolling pin (wooden) type massager on my wife when she was in labor (it scored me big points). The stick has a flexible core which seems to provide a more constant pressure as it goes over the contours of your muscles. I bought the Marathon version and like it - as I said, I have been using it in the AM when I wake up, before a ride and then later in the day - usually in the evenings. It's nice because I just slip it under the bed and grab it/use it before I head out.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.