Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike to Work Day

Having worked only 3 days so far in 2009, I didn't think I would have a destination for Bike to Work Day, but the company president phoned to say that they just secured a little funding and want to hire a few of us for some temporary, part-time contract work, so I'll be participating in Bike to Work day tomorrow, as well as leaving right now to bike to work today.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every workday is Bike-to-Work Day for me. Today is number 100 for 2009 YTD.

Perhaps the most upsetting part of being hit by that Pontiac a couple of weeks ago, is that it delayed commute #100 by a week.

In any event, good job!
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've just started the Ann Arbor Bike Choir, similar to the Toronto Bike Choir, and we're supposed to sing at the opening of Bike Day, tomorrow morning at 8 am. I'm finding singing tenor while pedaling to be a challenge.

derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Perhaps the most upsetting part of being hit by that Pontiac a couple of weeks ago, is that it delayed commute #100 by a week.
    You totally win, though. Pretty soon, there will be no more Pontiac.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't belong in 50+ for another 18 years or so. I just clicked the link from my RSS reader and replied without noticing. I'll leave now.
    Last edited by bigbenaugust; 05-14-09 at 10:37 AM.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I openSUSE: III

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You keep track? I have no idea how many days I've ridden this year. Most of them, for sure. Why do you keep track?

Anyway, I'm glad that you're back on the bike and made your goal, if that's what it was. It's always nice to pass a milestone. And a kidney stone, but that's a different story .

BTW day is actually one I kind of hate. It brings out all the people who only ride once or twice a year. I might be a bigot or something, but I feel like they clog the trails and paths and don't know the basic commuting etiquette. You know...stuff like calling out when they're passing, staying to the right, riding in a straight line...stuff like that.

Oh, well. At least they're trying. Have to give them credit for that.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still anxiously waiting for "ride where you want because you're retired and don't have to ride to work" day...
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    I'm still anxiously waiting for "ride where you want because you're retired and don't have to ride to work" day...

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpro View Post
    You keep track? I have no idea how many days I've ridden this year. Most of them, for sure. Why do you keep track?
    Over on BikeJournal.com we have a few little challenges going. The Commuter Cycling Century Challenge is one of them. The goal is to ride to work and home on 100 days in the year, or roughly half the number of workdays for many people. An Australian beat me last year.

Of course the sad part is that I've had to work that many days so far this year…

Why do I keep track? Why not? I'll never win a crit, or even a stage of a stage race, or any of the other challenges there at BikeJournal. I can do well at this one, so I do.

Edit: BTW, on BikeJournal I'm known as brucew. (The name was already taken here, so I have to use something else.)

Excellent goal. I'll put that one on my list.
    Last edited by tsl; 05-14-09 at 05:45 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.

My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Having worked only 3 days so far in 2009, I didn't think I would have a destination for Bike to Work Day, but the company president phoned to say that they just secured a little funding and want to hire a few of us for some temporary, part-time contract work, so I'll be participating in Bike to Work day tomorrow, as well as leaving right now to bike to work today.
    That's great news John.

I'd ride, but my wife would object to me keeping a bike in the bedroom to ride across the hall.
    The search for inner peace continues...

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today is number 100 for 2009 YTD.
    tsl
    I went back and counted my commutes. I have 43 days in so far this year.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too

Although I started commuting quite a bit more this year now that I have the old gas pipe Puch. I might make the 100 days but who's counting. I'm probably 25% of the way there.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The local park district holds a breakfast for bike-to-work day. I'll be leading a ride from the east side of town to the downtown breakfast site. I've done this for 5 years and it's always a lot of fun.

http://www.metroparks.org/GetOutside...Breakfast.aspx
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    The local park district holds a breakfast for bike-to-work day. I'll be leading a ride from the east side of town to the downtown breakfast site. I've done this for 5 years and it's always a lot of fun.
    Wait a minute… Didn't you retire last year?

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzMOKS View Post
    tsl
    I went back and counted my commutes. I have 43 days in so far this year.
    I see a century in your future. Sign up and join the fun over at BikeJournal.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colorado btw day is June 24, 2009

They have numerous breakfasts around the metro area, and one is less than a mile from my home.

I always go there and say "hi!"
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Wait a minute… Didn't you retire last year?
    Leading bike rides for the local park district is one of my retirement jobs
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in the Metro D.C. area the tradition of overcast, cold, drizzly weather is holding true. I'm such a miserable bum I have to make an effort to get to my stop by 8:30am.
    The good news is I just got my supply of bike parts (including 27" tires) and will have a Chicago Schwinn real 10 speed completed for the ride. I figure it will be better not to ride a titanium, old carbon, or TT style bike.
    I'm looking forward to the T shirt, free food, and other freebies. The only sad part is the newbies riding home w/o any of the morning fanfare.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were a bunch of places serving free breakfast for bike commuters in the Twin Cities today. I passed a couple but I didn't dress warmly enough and didn't want to stop. I think it was 47 when I left and I only had bike shorts and a short sleeve jersey. Should have gone back for the jacket and bibs.

My commute is kind of a long one -- 56 miles round trip. I can only do that once or twice a week and I really don't want to do that in the rain so I was happy it was a clear day. Had a nice tailwind on the way out and although I got a bit of a headwind home, it was much less so it worked out pretty well!

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 now that I am retired.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! I have about a year to go. Feels like a long climb into the wind.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomorrow is BTW day in Seattle - I originally didn't think I'd care but, for a change, the weather is supposed to be very nice tomorrow. I now have a super-secure bike locker at work so with clear weather I'm going to celebrate BTW day by riding a "nice" bike to work instead of a beater.

I will pass at least one station passing out freebies, and then our office building is serving coffee and doughnuts outside the biker shower room.

Clearly it does not take much to get me excited these days....

[Also, I'm another person who tracks my commutes. I decided two years ago that commuting 100x per year was a good goal -- it's enough to be "serious" in my view but not an over-the-top goal once you take into account days you can't ride due to personal commitments, travel, vacation, etc. I'm at around 52 or 53 commutes year to date]

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was one of those amatuer commuters this morning. I even cheated by driving into town to meet a few club members who met to share the morning ride to work. I really enjoyed the 4 mile ride to the plant. at the in-between time that I rode, 7:20 to 7:40, the traffic was not nearly as heavy as what I usually see arriving at 7:50. After a quick change of clothes in the wellness center's changing room, I was at my desk and invigorated at my 8:00 start time.

I wish I could figure out a way to make a full commute from home more practical, but even the partial commute could be a worthwhile thing to do occasionally. I won't make any big promises, but it is something worth considering, if only for the disbelieving looks I got from my coworkers.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got to work - beautiful day to today in Seattle, the streets/bridges/bike paths were full of bikers today (normally busy anyway, very busy today). Loved the free coffee, bagels, muffins, water bottle, etc.

Rode a "good" bike today - what a difference from riding my commuting beater. Makes me realize I need to invest in a "fast" commuter....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great day for bike-to-work. The weather was great, the breakfast was good, live music was fine and the turnout gets larger each year.

We started at the gazebo (a local landmark on the bike trails) and rode 8 miles to downtown Dayton where the bike event was held.

It was great to see so many bikes at the event

The breakfast of pancakes, Ohio maple syrup, coffee and juice was delicious.
    http://

They even turned the fountains on for us on our ride back to the gazebo. These are great in the summer but we decided to wait until they stopped this morning - it was a little too chilly this morning.

The park and other local organizations did a great job on this event. It was good to see so many bikes out and about this morning.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am leaving shortly to ride to work for an afternoon meeting, but I took Capo #1 -- which turns 50 sometime this year and can therefore join our group -- out this morning to hit three of the pit stops and to load up on the giveaways. I met a former Bikecology coworker from the early 1970s, but under the powdercoat I didn't immediately recognize the Peugeot PX-10 he had bought while managing the shop.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast