Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 Miles of Glorious Sunshine

The day dawned cool and cloudless as promised by the weather guy, a perfect day for a little ride. The wife was in the mood for spagetti last night so I was well loaded up on carbs and just itching to burn them up.

I could run through my route here but why bore everyone to death with listing neighborhoods that you're not at all familiar with. Suffice it to say that I favored MUP's and residential neighborhoods and rode near our local water resources as much as possible. We're blessed with a major North flowing River running right through our city and just a block from my house, and a mile and a half north of me is Lake Ontario.
    I will bore you with a few pics though. Like I said it was a beautiful day. High on the banks of the Genesee Gorge sits a complex of old buildings that used to be a seminery, St. Bernards. It's a multi-use residential/office area now but as you can see from this quick snapshot the buildings are still quite striking.

A little farther up-river is a very serene spot to stop and reflect a bit...

Here's a shot of a Red Bud Tree on a popular MUP in the town of Irondequoit....

On a perfect day such as this folks come to enjoy the lake in various ways....

One parting shot of the Charlotte Light House and notice the lilacs on the left side....

All told I rode 70.14 miles. With my 58th birthday coming up next month I may count this as my "Rode my age" ride since I expect to be quite busy next month.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice "little" 70-miler, eh? Longer than my longest ride ever.

Your season appears to be about the same as ours. Our Red Buds and Lilacs just started blooming this past week. We have about 8 lilacs ringing our back yard.

We've had a red bud in the front yard for 15 years and it appears to have died this Spring. Too bad, I enjoyed that tree.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics Crankster!! NY in general has pretty crappy architecture but Rachacha is a bastian of intersting buildings - not to mention some great eats! We had a beeeutiful day here in the Electric City - unfortunately I was trapped in my box and could not get out to enjoy it.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lenny, what a great ride and pictures. Thanks for sharing your good fortune.

SloSpoke Jim

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics. You CANNOT count this as your "ride my age" ride. It must be ridden very close to your birthday to count. Get out there and ride again!
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spring is looking good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, Crankster. do you happen to know what year that charming old building in the first pic was built? Also, is the Charlotte Light House still in operation?

Nice photos BTW.

My Bikes
    (See sig block)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    Nice pics. You CANNOT count this as your "ride my age" ride. It must be ridden very close to your birthday to count. Get out there and ride again!
    Please define 'very close'. I should try for a 'ride my age' this November, but when the normal average temp is well below my age and there's a raw nor'easter coming off Lake Michigan...... But there's a good chance that within a week, you could have a spell of Indian Summer, and those 57 miles or Kilometers will be a most pleasant memory for the upcoming months.
    2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm extremely liberal on "age rides." I think one can take their age ride anytime during the entire year.

That may be influenced by being in Wisconsin in December.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful area without the snow!! I was supposed to travel to Corning Monday (not sure if that is close to Rochester) but my cycling got in the way!! Looks like I need to come up that way anyhow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Very interesting, Crankster. do you happen to know what year that charming old building in the first pic was built? Also, is the Charlotte Light House still in operation?

Nice photos BTW.
    I'll have to snoop about the grounds a bit and see if I can find a dated cornerstone, or perhaps an internet search will reveal a date.

The lighthouse has been restored and is an operational museum.

Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Beautiful area without the snow!! I was supposed to travel to Corning Monday (not sure if that is close to Rochester) but my cycling got in the way!! Looks like I need to come up that way anyhow.
    Corning is about 90 miles south by interstate.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful pictures, Cranky. What a great place to ride
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post

All told I rode 70.14 miles. With my 58th birthday coming up next month I may count this as my "Rode my age" ride since I expect to be quite busy next month.
    Been puzzling over the style of that building and just can't compare it to anything in the UK.

Thought it was Brick initially but there is a lot of sandstone there. And the initial build has tried to make a feature of it and almost made it. Even the brickwork appears to be a "Shaped" brick- or at least polished- so by UK standards it appears to have at least two era's of architecture in it. And What I thought was Copper on the castelations on the roof- appears now to be paint as it is too regular and just "off" the colour of verigree.

So I am guessing anything from early 1800's to the 1920's by which date even the best architects were making mistakes.

And providing you can come up with the dates on this building- You can take this as a birthday ride. 70.14 - 58 is close enough to give you a surplus.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Been puzzling over the style of that building and just can't compare it to anything in the UK...........

.......So I am guessing anything from early 1800's to the 1920's by which date even the best architects were making mistakes.

And providing you can come up with the dates on this building- You can take this as a birthday ride. 70.14 - 58 is close enough to give you a surplus.

Here we are, history, dates , names and pictures... http://www.libraryweb.org/rochimag/a...StBernards.htm

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hall of Philosophy was built in 1900 so it puts in towards the rear end of the Period I thought it was. With me being born in 1947- I still think of buildings like this as the norm. Lots of houses and building in London were built around this time and are good solid Buildings. Unfortunately the size of them means that a great number in the UK have now been knocked down and replaced with more modern office complexs and Hotels.

Even this building has outgrown its original use- but at least it now has a use that means it will be used and maintained for many years to come.

And it would appear that building architecture ran parrallel in the US and the UK at around this time. And the US architects made the same mistake as the UK ones- couldn't decide on which design to be the final one and incorporated two or 3 different styles that make the building spectacular- but odd.
    Last edited by stapfam; 05-16-09 at 01:59 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice posts and thanks for sharing the pictures. In my book a age ride can be done within the year of the birthday but on or at least the week of would make it special, sort of.

I thought I did good yesterday as I went out for a quick 20 miler and ended up doing 42!