Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another top coat !!!!!!

I have top coats for all sorts of uses and many of them I have had for years. I can cover from wind through to Torrential rain and depending on the temp and the clothing underneath I can cope down to below freezing temps.

I do have a particular type of weather though that causes me a problem. Warm weather with intermittent showers or continual light rain. I have a showerproof that if I wear for too long- The rain comes through but before that I get wet from the inside. I have a lightweight Pertex that will take a few drops of rain but that is all. Then I have a few coats that will take rain but get heavy after a while. The Goretex takes it all but once you put that on- it stays on as it is too bulky to pack anywhere.

SO- There I was doing the manly thing and taking the wife out shopping in Brighton this morning. Mainly to look at the shops but I did need a couple of pairs of trousers and the wife needed new trainers. I got my trousers in the first shop I went in- but the wifes trainers were a problem- wrong colour- too heavy- too clunky- too young- not the right style.

Now there is a Chain of stores in the UK that does top end outdoor clothing. I know it is good stuff but just too expensive for me. I know it is good stuff as several of my Park Ranger friends use it. Don't how how they can afford it but I was about to find out.

SO went into this shop and while the wife was trying on 4 or 5 different pairs of trainers that seemed to be what she wanted- I talked to the assistant about Cycling clothing and about this lightweight waterproof I wanted. Told him about the Goretex I had- and he suggested a few top coats to try. Found one but decided to pass on it as at 50 it was just a bit more than I wanted to pay. Then he told me about the Club they have and if I joined today- I would get 20% off all purchases- and as a new memer to the Club- I would get a 5% introductory discount and I could use a 5 voucher aswell. SOLD.

I now have an extra Topcoat that is lightweight- waterproof- breathable-packs up small enough to fit in a rear pocket and an eyecatching shade of yucky yellow. Marvellous what a Salesman can sell you if he discounts like mad to sell you what you really want and need in the first place.

And the wife finally chose her trainers so I could go home and sort the bike for tomorrows wet ride.

http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/Mens/Jack...acket_Men.html
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't often ride in the rain but when I do I just submit to being wet. I wear clothes that wont bind when wet and just put up with the water. As these occurances are usually while commuting I strive to keep my cargo dry and accomplish that with a plastic bag.

I'm glad you've found the rain gear that accomodates your wet weather riding needs. Enjoy your ride.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I may be stupid but what are "trainers"?
    And that "topcoat" looks pretty nice too, btw. Way to go with the score!

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    Okay I may be stupid but what are "trainers"?
    And that "topcoat" looks pretty nice too, btw. Way to go with the score!
    In America They are sneakers- running shoes- Nasty things that make your feet sweat- and normally lumps of plastic that make your feet smell. They are generraly called trainers over here as they are training shoes for running.

So why so many youngsters wear them I can't understand as all they get in training for is jumping in the car to go down to Mc. D's

Edit- and the new coat works perfectly- Rain this morning and it got heavy a couple of times. Perfectly dry underneath it and when I got warm-I opened the vents to cool down and get rid of moisture. They work so well- I might be putting the fleece back on. And the helmet without the peak did work as no neck ache- but I had to lower the head to keep the rain off the glasses.
    Last edited by stapfam; 05-17-09 at 06:36 AM.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Edit- and the new coat works perfectly- Rain this morning and it got heavy a couple of times. Perfectly dry underneath it and when I got warm-I opened the vents to cool down and get rid of moisture. They work so well- I might be putting the fleece back on. And the helmet without the peak did work as no neck ache- but I had to lower the head to keep the rain off the glasses.
    OK.

If I bought an "overcoat" I'd expect it to come down past my knees. We have a garment called a "car coat" that would come about halfway between my butt and my knees. If I were to buy something called a "jacket" in the UK, what would it look like?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if Stapfam speaks English........what bloody language do we speak in the US????? His terms can have a lot of different meanings from ours.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    So if Stapfam speaks English........what bloody language do we speak in the US????? His terms can have a lot of different meanings from ours.
    I intrepret it another way- If you have problems understanding my English terms-Hard luck

Two nations divided by a common language.

As Kennedy once said

"I am a Hamburger"

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Iro Rob Roy, Colnago Competition, LHT, Kona Sutra flat bar, Torelli cyclocross, Vanco Cyclocross Fixed Gear Conversion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't go out wearing pants with a fanny pack in tow and you'll be okay.......

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    As Kennedy once said "I am a Hamburger"
    Actually the correct quote was "I am a jelly roll!"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Just don't go out wearing pants with a fanny pack in tow and you'll be okay.......
    That is one word that does have a different meaning- Here we call them Bum bags. Still a crude term but not as vulgar.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=jppe;8933123........what bloody language do we speak in the US?????[/QUOTE]

Well that would depend on what State you are in and where in the State you are!

Seems Spanish is spoken almost as much as "English" or whatever we speak!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    Well that would depend on what State you are in and where in the State you are!
    I live in Missouri. We can't even agree on how to pronounce "Missouri".

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved to London from the US in 1980. Stayed 8 years (and missed Reagan's presidency completely). It took me three years to learn the language well enough so I could make myself understood. Now I'm comfortable speaking either language, but now that I'm back here in the US, there's hardly anyone with whom I can practice my second language. Who knew?
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike