Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Meet Slick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meet Slick

I approach this post with a degree of trepidation. As you are aware, Ol' Fuj and I have traveled many miles together and seen many unique places. We rode our first century (tornado assisted) together with the Terrier Man around Springfield, MO. We got hypothermic and had three flats in two miles at the Dam Jam century last year. We've been to Savoy, Oark, Smackover, LeCompte, Hogeye, and Alma. We have quite a history together, but alas, as winter began its annual (and welcomed!) demise, my mind begin to wander toward Atomic Number 6. Visions of components began to dance in my head.

Surreptitiously, I began to reconnoiter the LBSs in the area for something newer and lighter which was composed of that magic element. After much searching and hand wringing, I found a likely candidate. I loaded Fuj into the truck, and we went to the LBS. I road Fuj on a route out from the LBS and returned. Quickly, I rode the likely candidate on that same route and returned. Done! Whip out the check book! The cat was out of the bag. I wasn't sure how Fuj would take to this interloper. After all, we live in a small apartment, and you couldn't cuss a cat in this place without getting fur in your mouth.

I write the check and head home with two bikes in the truck, Ol' Fuj and the noob.

So, everybody, meet my new riding buddy, Slick. Sorry, but I'm given to naming things, and Slick is a perfectly good Southern name.

Slick is a brand new '08 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 60 cm frame. Did I mention I'm the frugal type? I got a good deal on this one as it is last year's model. I saw a smaller frame version in the shop and liked it. The owner said he had a new one of appropriate dimensions still in the box and would assemble it for me so that I could test ride it.

Slick is equipped with Shimano 105 everything: crank, shifters, derailleurs, cassette, and brakes. These aren't the best components on the market, but they are an upgrade for me. The crank was a 50-39-30, and the cassette is a 12-27.

I would have lost some low-end grunt as Ol' Fuj has the 30-tooth small ring and a 12-28 cassette. I got brave and installed a TA 28-tooth chainring. Did the work myself (nothing to the average guy... big accomplishment for me!)

There have been no ill effects from the 28-tooth ring. I did have to turn in the "B" screw on the rear derailleur. Shifting is smooth, and I have slightly more low-end grunt (27.0 gear inches) than I do with Ol' Fuj (27.9 gear inches).

Slick and I are still getting dialed in. We may need a slight fore/aft adjustment of the saddle and perhaps a shade shorter stem. Fuj is still getting the bigger rides, and there is peace in the kingdom.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet looking machine, looks fast sitting there, go out and have "too much FUN", ENJOY!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew! For a moment there I had a lump in my throat, I thought you were going to say you traded Ol' Fuj in. Glad you kept her. I'm sure both bikes will get along fine.

Congratulations Doc.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice looking ride. Poor Fuji.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love getting good deals on last year's gear. This bike looks like quite a change from Ol' Fuj.

What was it about the Cannondale that sold you on it?

Don't you go getting rid of the Fuji. There aren't many of us Fuji owners in the 50+ group.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too thought you were going to get rid of ol Fuj. Glad to hear that you didn't. I am sure you will enjoy your new riding partner.
    Jim

2008 KHS TC-150

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done on the choice of the Cannondale- but be prepared to take a bit of time to dial the thing in. It is going to ride completely differently to the Fuji and it may annoy you at times.

105 components work and work well but I suppose could be improved upon. I would not have changed the granny ring till you got a few rides in as if the bike works as well as my TCR-C, it will sail up hills. I mean it. Take time to sort the tyre pressures with the Aksium wheels though. They are one very stiff wheel and did cause me a problem initially.

But when you get home- Clean and lubricate The Fuji. It may not be ridden for a long time due to the difference in ride quality between the two bikes. Since getting the TCR- My old OCR has only gone out as a loaner to friends wanting to borrow a bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one sweet ride!!

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the world of "Cannondale"!
    I was in the LBS yesterday after hearing a creaking sound while going up large hills on my ride and thought it was in my cranks but turned out to be a loose headset. Anyway I saw that the newer 105 are black in color, anodized? I was thinking why couldn't mine be like that. I have a 2009 model but they told me that the newer 1/2 year models started coming with the black color. Man I thought it was sweet looking.
    Actually started thinking of getting it but then said if I upgrade it will be to Dura-ace.

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha Ha hA dOCTOR /that is a beauty/cant imagine jumping stumps with it though./I might give a test run down rt1# from MACHIAS TO Grand Lake Stream though.If I could find a big enough lock./Kenneth

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking bike. As for the 105 group I think you will be very happy with it. I have Ultegra on one bike and 105 on another and the 105 shifts just as well as the Ultegra. I heard / read somewhere the main difference in 105 / Ultegra / Dura Ace is the material they are made from to reduce weight, they are pretty much the same design.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Madison, Schwinn Tempo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant Imagine you riding the old bike again. Better sell it, be nice knowing someone was riding it, bikes arent made to hold up walls. smile.

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things may appear to be OK with ol Fuji now but attitudes can change over time as you spend less and less time with her. Be aware be very aware.....

SloSpoke Jim

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never really understood why as modern a machine as ol' Fuji got stuck with that name. My '80 S-12S is much older and still has lots of good miles to come. I would hang on to the old bike. Maybe make a few mods to make it a better rain bike or grocery getter or something useful.
    But I like Slick. Looks like a good new partner for your rides.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my ... can I kiss the bride? Or maybe just take her for a spin around the block?
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting