Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-09, 07:57 PM   #1
doctor j

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Meet Slick

I approach this post with a degree of trepidation. As you are aware, Ol' Fuj and I have traveled many miles together and seen many unique places. We rode our first century (tornado assisted) together with the Terrier Man around Springfield, MO. We got hypothermic and had three flats in two miles at the Dam Jam century last year. We've been to Savoy, Oark, Smackover, LeCompte, Hogeye, and Alma. We have quite a history together, but alas, as winter began its annual (and welcomed!) demise, my mind begin to wander toward Atomic Number 6. Visions of components began to dance in my head.

Surreptitiously, I began to reconnoiter the LBSs in the area for something newer and lighter which was composed of that magic element. After much searching and hand wringing, I found a likely candidate. I loaded Fuj into the truck, and we went to the LBS. I road Fuj on a route out from the LBS and returned. Quickly, I rode the likely candidate on that same route and returned. Done! Whip out the check book! The cat was out of the bag. I wasn't sure how Fuj would take to this interloper. After all, we live in a small apartment, and you couldn't cuss a cat in this place without getting fur in your mouth.

I write the check and head home with two bikes in the truck, Ol' Fuj and the noob.

So, everybody, meet my new riding buddy, Slick. Sorry, but I'm given to naming things, and Slick is a perfectly good Southern name.

Slick is a brand new '08 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 60 cm frame. Did I mention I'm the frugal type? I got a good deal on this one as it is last year's model. I saw a smaller frame version in the shop and liked it. The owner said he had a new one of appropriate dimensions still in the box and would assemble it for me so that I could test ride it.

Slick is equipped with Shimano 105 everything: crank, shifters, derailleurs, cassette, and brakes. These aren't the best components on the market, but they are an upgrade for me. The crank was a 50-39-30, and the cassette is a 12-27.

I would have lost some low-end grunt as Ol' Fuj has the 30-tooth small ring and a 12-28 cassette. I got brave and installed a TA 28-tooth chainring. Did the work myself (nothing to the average guy... big accomplishment for me!)

There have been no ill effects from the 28-tooth ring. I did have to turn in the "B" screw on the rear derailleur. Shifting is smooth, and I have slightly more low-end grunt (27.0 gear inches) than I do with Ol' Fuj (27.9 gear inches).

Slick and I are still getting dialed in. We may need a slight fore/aft adjustment of the saddle and perhaps a shade shorter stem. Fuj is still getting the bigger rides, and there is peace in the kingdom.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 08:02 PM   #2
bjjoondo 
Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)

Bikes: 1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet looking machine, looks fast sitting there, go out and have "too much FUN", ENJOY!
bjjoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 08:13 PM   #3
Louis

Bikes:
Whew! For a moment there I had a lump in my throat, I thought you were going to say you traded Ol' Fuj in. Glad you kept her. I'm sure both bikes will get along fine.

Congratulations Doc.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 08:22 PM   #4
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Nice looking ride. Poor Fuji.
maddmaxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 09:01 PM   #5
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I love getting good deals on last year's gear. This bike looks like quite a change from Ol' Fuj.

What was it about the Cannondale that sold you on it?

Don't you go getting rid of the Fuji. There aren't many of us Fuji owners in the 50+ group.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 11:08 PM   #6
Nighteyez

Bikes: Mongoose XR-75
I too thought you were going to get rid of ol Fuj. Glad to hear that you didn't. I am sure you will enjoy your new riding partner.
Nighteyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 01:52 AM   #7
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well done on the choice of the Cannondale- but be prepared to take a bit of time to dial the thing in. It is going to ride completely differently to the Fuji and it may annoy you at times.

105 components work and work well but I suppose could be improved upon. I would not have changed the granny ring till you got a few rides in as if the bike works as well as my TCR-C, it will sail up hills. I mean it. Take time to sort the tyre pressures with the Aksium wheels though. They are one very stiff wheel and did cause me a problem initially.

But when you get home- Clean and lubricate The Fuji. It may not be ridden for a long time due to the difference in ride quality between the two bikes. Since getting the TCR- My old OCR has only gone out as a loaner to friends wanting to borrow a bike.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 05:56 AM   #8
cranky old dude

Bikes:
That is one sweet ride!!
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 06:16 AM   #9
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Welcome to the world of "Cannondale"!
I was in the LBS yesterday after hearing a creaking sound while going up large hills on my ride and thought it was in my cranks but turned out to be a loose headset. Anyway I saw that the newer 105 are black in color, anodized? I was thinking why couldn't mine be like that. I have a 2009 model but they told me that the newer 1/2 year models started coming with the black color. Man I thought it was sweet looking.
Actually started thinking of getting it but then said if I upgrade it will be to Dura-ace.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 06:53 AM   #10
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ha Ha hA dOCTOR /that is a beauty/cant imagine jumping stumps with it though./I might give a test run down rt1# from MACHIAS TO Grand Lake Stream though.If I could find a big enough lock./Kenneth
kenkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 09:13 AM   #11
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
Great looking bike. As for the 105 group I think you will be very happy with it. I have Ultegra on one bike and 105 on another and the 105 shifts just as well as the Ultegra. I heard / read somewhere the main difference in 105 / Ultegra / Dura Ace is the material they are made from to reduce weight, they are pretty much the same design.
RoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 05:32 PM   #12
woodenidol

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Schwinn Tempo
Cant Imagine you riding the old bike again. Better sell it, be nice knowing someone was riding it, bikes arent made to hold up walls. smile.
woodenidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 06:05 PM   #13
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
Things may appear to be OK with ol Fuji now but attitudes can change over time as you spend less and less time with her. Be aware be very aware.....

kjc9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 08:22 PM   #14
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Never really understood why as modern a machine as ol' Fuji got stuck with that name. My '80 S-12S is much older and still has lots of good miles to come. I would hang on to the old bike. Maybe make a few mods to make it a better rain bike or grocery getter or something useful.
But I like Slick. Looks like a good new partner for your rides.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 01:20 PM   #15
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Oh my ... can I kiss the bride? Or maybe just take her for a spin around the block?
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote