User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seasons first metric

And so it starts. Today was the first "long" ride of the season. I had been pretty good about training for it since being off the bike from the end of November through the end of March. My longest ride this season was 45 miles and I had started some hill climbing. No pictures - we lost our little camera a few weeks back. I think there will be one pic posted which I can nab and post later. Here is the report.

The weather was mid 40s with gusty winds, I pulled the Simoncinni off the rack and I wore tights, thin top base layer, long sleeve jersey, wind breaker, skull cap and full length gloves. The ride started OK - I was hanging with the lead pack, my plan was to stick behind them until after the first big hill then let them go and ride my own ride. Unfortunately it didn't last that long. The first time I needed to accellerate hard (coming out of a turn) the rear wheel slipped in the dropouts and started to rub the chainstay. I pulled off and fixed it and they were gone - no way was I going to burn everything to catch up - at that time they were doing in the low 20's. So there it began. I rode with a nice young couple from downstate who at the end of the season last year discovered the joys of metrics & centurys. They were good strong riders and they were riding hybrids with wider tires - but they were going my speed so we took turns pulling. This went on for the first 40 miles but then I began to feel myself bonking a bit. The aid station at mile 20 only had fig newtons & cookies and I really don't like either so I only eat a little - thus the loss of energy. I made it to the second aid station but had to let the young'ns go. There I was able to get a bananna and a sandwich, do some stretching and head off for the last 20 miles. I rode this alone but kept good speed. The first half of the ride gains about 300' of elevation over rolling hills and the wind was in our face. The second half is also rolling hills with a couple of steep sections but you loose the elevation (of course) and the wind was more from the back.

I rode this loop last year on the Tarmac - it was a hard ride because I was fighting the winter fat and the slightly harsher ride grated on my body at the end. This year my average was a little better but I was not fried at the end like last year - I was fighting this past winters fat. And so it starts - metrics will begin to seem like average rides as we get closer to the centurys later in the year. The fat will disappear (only to show itself again next winter ).
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice going. A little adversity (wind, fig newtons) builds character!
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I rode this loop last year on the Tarmac - it was a hard ride because I was fighting the winter fat and the slightly harsher ride grated on my body at the end. This year my average was a little better but I was not fried at the end like last year - I was fighting this past winters fat. And so it starts - metrics will begin to seem like average rides as we get closer to the centurys later in the year. The fat will disappear (only to show itself again next winter ).
    I think this is the problem I will have shortly- Put on over 12lbs this winter and I have to get it off fast. Winter rides have generally been around 25 miles with the odd 40 in - but I started my summer training a few weeks ago with a faster 40 miler. Won't be long before the metrics start being done. Get a few behind me and it will be time for the 100miler's.

About the only difference is that I have had plenty of time to get the bikes sorted this winter so both still ride with comfort- and the others still ride OK too.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done on the metric, cyclinfool.

I'm off to a slow start this season, as well. I've pretty much shed the winter weight, but I'm still out of shape and slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good going on the metric. It's comforting for me to read of others having a wheel slip position occasionaly, good to know I'm not the only one it's ever happened to.

That wind yesterday, it blew my Van all over the thruway. It was nasty!!

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys - and the wind blew me all over the road at times too.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

pedo viejo
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Challenging conditions for any ride, but especially if you're just coming into form. It sure does help to have the wind at your back on the way home.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough conditions for the first long ride of the year. Congrats on bearing through it. Almost makes one want to think about staying in shape year round just to avoid the yearly agony.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.