Thread: Tire Change

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Change

If you change from a 23mm to a 28mm tire, should the brakes be adjusted to clear the wider tire, for example in changing flats?

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have to open the brakes wider to allow the 28's to fit.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brakes are adjusted to the width of the rim, not the width of the tire.

When you open the brakes, you'll need to open them a bit wider, but closed and ready for action, they should remain the same.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tsl has it right. If you don't want to fool around with the adjustments at all, just fix the flat, inflate enough to see if the tire/tube are seated properly, let the air back out, remount wheel on bike, and then inflate to desired pressure.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto on re-inflate

HI,
    I ve noticed when seating a tire and tube, that it needs a couple trys to get it seated correctly.
    Part of the problem maybe that most tire seat better if they are not on the road as they inflate maybe suspended on a wheel stand.
    I ve heard a tube twist as the tire delfates after the first inflation.
    this extra step may prevent future pinch flats form twiseted tube.s
    Doug

My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post

When you open the brakes, you'll need to open them a bit wider, but closed and ready for action, they should remain the same.
    I had to raise the brake bridge on my front wheel to run 700 X 28 Michelin TransworldCity Tires.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many brake calipers do not open enough to let 28mm tires easily pass through when removing the wheel.
    If you are not running brifters on your bike, many of the Tektro brake levers have a quick release device built into the levers. When these are used along with brake calipers with a quick release feature, you get enough extra opening to be able to slip wider tires through the brake pads without needing to deflate the tires.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Many brake calipers do not open enough to let 28mm tires easily pass through when removing the wheel.
    If you are not running brifters on your bike, many of the Tektro brake levers have a quick release device built into the levers. When these are used along with brake calipers with a quick release feature, you get enough extra opening to be able to slip wider tires through the brake pads without needing to deflate the tires.
    Man, those Tektro levers are nice, I have 'em on two of my bikes now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djnzlab1 View Post
    HI,
    I ve noticed when seating a tire and tube, that it needs a couple trys to get it seated correctly.
    Part of the problem maybe that most tire seat better if they are not on the road as they inflate maybe suspended on a wheel stand.
    I ve heard a tube twist as the tire delfates after the first inflation.
    this extra step may prevent future pinch flats form twiseted tube.s
    Doug

Never had this experience...once it's on, it's on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    If you change from a 23mm to a 28mm tire, should the brakes be adjusted to clear the wider tire, for example in changing flats?
    What sort of bike are we talking about here? On all mine I open the brakes in order to get the wheel off easily..I'm running tires anywhere from 23 to 35 depending on the bikes, but as tsl pointed out the brakes, when closed, need to fit the rim.

My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Felt F-80
    700 X 28 Michelin TransworldCity Tires.

The tires have a heavy tread.
    They rub the brake bridge unless I adjust the cable to raise it up from the tread.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post

I used to think that way but not so much any more.

My experience is that when switching from a 23mm tire to a 28mm tire a brake cable tension adjustment is probably going to be necessary.

I installed a set of 28mm gator skins on my 105 equipped retro grouch road bike. When I did that I found that, even with the brake quick release opened, the inflated tire would not squeeze between the brake pads. Loosening the brake cable made it work and the brake lever still doesn't bottom against the handlebar. The same is true of my Red Rocker bike but it uses a 105 caliper with an interrupter lever.

Anyway, how do you open the brakes "a bit wider"? On my caliper brakes the QR is either all the way open or all the way closed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then again, one can simply deflate or reinflate tires to pass between the pads when necessary. Sounds obvious, but be sure to spin your tires to make sure you have clearance between tire tread and brake arms. Some current "standard reach" brakes leave little clearance. (My sweet old Superbe Pro's won't take a 28- they rub.)
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    I had to raise the brake bridge on my front wheel to run 700 X 28 Michelin TransworldCity Tires.
    But you still adjusted the brakes to some degree of tolerance related to the rim, yes?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcvelo View Post
    What sort of bike are we talking about here? On all mine I open the brakes in order to get the wheel off easily..I'm running tires anywhere from 23 to 35 depending on the bikes, but as tsl pointed out the brakes, when closed, need to fit the rim.
    Fuji Roubaix with Tectro RX140 brake sets. Can get 28s on but they have to be forced somewhat.

My Bikes
    1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently put 700x28 gatorskins on my Allez because of bad road conditions, i didn't need to make any brake adjustment to either mount or run the tires.