Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mild(?) knee sprain (clipless fall)

While coming to a stop on our Saturday group ride, I unclipped my left foot as usual. For some reason, my bike leaned toward the right; before I could unclip my right foot, I went down to the right with my right foot still clipped in.

I could feel my knee twist. I don't recall my knee actually hitting anything.... only my foot staying clipped in and going down and my knee hurting.

I got up and brushed myself off, and continued on to our usual breakfast stop, with only the slightest bit of knee pain at first and then none. It's now about 8:45 a.m.

After breakfast we rode to our grandson's baseball game, arriving about 11:40. Almost all uphill from breakfast. It was hot which made me tired but I didn't feel ANY knee pain.

Left the park around 3:00, rode home in a stiff headwind most of the way, arrived home shortly after 4:00 (about 30 miles post-injury). Knee felt fine during the ride, even while climbing and pushing through the wind. No (noticeable) pain while walking around at the park.

A few minutes after arriving home, I elevated my leg for the first time and applied the first ice pack. It's now 7+ hours post-injury without any treatment to the knee until now.

Shortly thereafter (30-45 minues), the pain hit. I had (and still have) a bruise about the size of a half-dollar on the front of my knee, just below the kneecap toward the inside, and swollen. (The whole knee isn't swollen -- at least not noticeably so, just the bruised area.) Some pain while walking, but mostly with ANY accidental twist of the leg by not keeping foot/knee/hip in perfect alignment (the slightest turning movement without staying aligned).

I continued the ice pack all Saturday evening, and slept with my knee wrapped in an ace bandage.

Yesterday, we had plans to visit family members and couldn't cancel them. Plans to keep foot elevated and knee iced weren't totally successful but I did as best as I could, and kept the knee wrapped. Took Advil x2 yesterday.

Today: Swollen bruise still there; still pain if I don't keep knee in alignment with leg.... BUT, pain is better. I couldn't stay home from work today and am taking it easy while walking (I can't avoid all stairs here) and am avoiding unnecessary walking when I can.

From my research it appears that I have at most a mild knee sprain -- I have no "giving out" sensation and pain is only moderate if I twist the knee even slightly (again, by not watching leg alignment). If I shake my lower leg (as if to shake off water after taking a shower) it hurts a LOT -- can't do it.

Since I had no pain while cycling for the remaining 30+ miles on Thursday, I wonder if light cycling would be helpful to keep my quads in shape, continuing to ice after rides. Or.... no riding at all until there is no pain. Since it feels better than yesterday, and there is no deformity, and no giving out, I believe I don't need to see a doctor.

Anyone have a similar injury with similar symptoms and experience? I know, internet advice is not a substitute for a doctor when needed............. just looking for "that same injury happened to me and this is what did/didn't work" or "Me too, and I thought I didn't need to see a doctor, but thank God I did...."
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two worst accidents I have had were on gentle falls on the Tandem. Sideways slip on Chalk and the bike went down as the leg was in the wrong position. Didn't even hit the ground as I was still clipped in and the bars took the strain. As soon as I got off the bikeand put weight on the leg I realised I has done something to the thigh muscle and it was a 3 legged pedal for a couple of miles and the muscle loosened up to put some very gentle strain on it.

The other time was the same as you but the bike did not go down as the pilot held it up. Somehow I put strain on the knee in trying to twist out of the pedal and another long haul for the pilot.

Sometimes the body and joints does not agree with what you are trying to do with it and it will hurt. But the fact that you have a bruise shows that the knee has taken some impact. Perhaps not by a knock- but it could have been a twist that put it out of shape. So take care and get it checked out if the pain does not start decreasing soon

And take care on stairs- Going up may be fine- but coming down them will hurt .
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, I'm not an orthopedic doctor. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one night last week. And I've had seven knee surgeries.

It would concern me that a twisting motion of your knee causes pain. If you have never had knee pain, and if this doesn't disappear soon, I would see the doc.

It is possible to tear a ligament and just go right along after a few days without realizing what has happened. Ditto for a torn cartilage. Don't ask me how I know this.

IMO damaged and unrepaired knees can lead to total knee replacements. I know far too many 50+ folks for whom the first knee surgery they ever have is a TKR. Just my opinon.

Regards and hope you heal soon.
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 05-18-09 at 06:08 PM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just threw away your club Tombay application.............I'd rather you just got better. Good Luck.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a LOT better today... only the slightest pain today, don't feel anything going up stairs. RICE really does work!

Thanks to everyone who responded....
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker