Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   62 Yrs Old - Heart Rate? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/543019-62-yrs-old-heart-rate.html)

ltmark 05-18-09 10:01 PM

62 Yrs Old - Heart Rate?

Good afternoon everyone. I have belonged to another forum for many years, but for some reason, it is "waining". Anyway...I am 62 and have been road riding for 20+ years. All recreational, with a centuy or two each summer. I retired seven years ago and have really been increasing my mileage this year. Finally, after 35 years, I have COMPLETELY quit smoking (one year ago) and my cycling has improved substantially. (duh?)

This year, my resting heart rate has gone from 78 to 49 and my average blood pressure is typically about 135/75. The 49 resting rate is genetic (now that it isn't raised by smoking). My father had to have a pacemanker to raise his resting rate when it got to the high twenties when he was 75! Strong as an ox though.

I ride with a cateye and I ride based on a max heart rate of 165. I got that from the 220-age, plus I then added 5 because I've always been involved in athletics and 160 just seemed low to me.

On tough, long hills, I just continually plug along at bout 5-6 miles and hour in an easy gear and try to keep my heart rate below 150, but I have to really concentrate on my breathing. Under those circumstances, I am just short of Lactate threshhold, but I can make it up most hills in my area without stopping. Some are two or so miles and 7%.

Anyone in my age range have any comments on my resting rate. blood pressure or my heart rate or speed on hills. I have never had anyone to ride with, so all I can tell about my progress I get from the forums.

Thanx for reading

Robert Foster 05-18-09 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by ltmark (Post 8943268)
Good afternoon everyone. I have belonged to another forum for many years, but for some reason, it is "waining". Anyway...I am 62 and have been road riding for 20+ years. All recreational, with a centuy or two each summer. I retired seven years ago and have really been increasing my mileage this year. Finally, after 35 years, I have COMPLETELY quit smoking (one year ago) and my cycling has improved substantially. (duh?)

This year, my resting heart rate has gone from 78 to 49 and my average blood pressure is typically about 135/75. The 49 resting rate is genetic (now that it isn't raised by smoking). My father had to have a pacemanker to raise his resting rate when it got to the high twenties when he was 75! Strong as an ox though.

I ride with a cateye and I ride based on a max heart rate of 165. I got that from the 220-age, plus I then added 5 because I've always been involved in athletics and 160 just seemed low to me.

On tough, long hills, I just continually plug along at bout 5-6 miles and hour in an easy gear and try to keep my heart rate below 150, but I have to really concentrate on my breathing. Under those circumstances, I am just short of Lactate threshhold, but I can make it up most hills in my area without stopping. Some are two or so miles and 7%.

Anyone in my age range have any comments on my resting rate. blood pressure or my heart rate or speed on hills. I have never had anyone to ride with, so all I can tell about my progress I get from the forums.

Thanx for reading

Well your resting rate seems normal to me. At least between those two ranges. Your blood pressure is in my ball park 130/85. But a 7 percent climb will have me pushing 165 to 170 Hr easy. I can get a HR of 150 when in a pace line at 24 MPH. But it is well known I hate hills. I do them but I hate them. I will make the excuse that I have not been in shape for a long time. :innocent:

alcanoe 05-19-09 04:38 AM

I'm going on 70 in about 3 weeks. I typically ride (mountain bike, single track) in the 70 to 85% of measured max heart rate (174). Sometimes I deliberately push it in the 80 to 90% range and sometimes hit my max. I don't measure true resting heart rate, but did hit 49 in the doctors office once about a year ago.

Of the three equations for max heart rate below, the second is very close to my measured and probably is the most accurate for fit persons. This is from an article on heart rate training. There is a fourth equation that brings in the body weight factor, but I've lost it.

Al

"Simple Formulaic Estimation of the MHR Based on Age:
In general, this method will provide reasonable accuracy for about 80% of runners, but it should almost invariably be supplemented with an actual test. Typically, one of three simple formulas is used to estimate one's maximum heart rate.

Formula #1: The first formula involves simply subtracting your age from the number 220 (for men) or from 226 (for women). This method is preferred for beginning runners, those who have been leading a sedentary lifestyle. MarathonGuide.com Simple Heart Zones Calculator

Formula #2: The second formula is very similar, but is preferable for those who are already quite active. For this formula, simply subtract half of your age from the number 205.

Formula #3: The third formula runs along the same vein as the two preceding it. For men, subtract 80% of your age from the number 214. For women, subtract 70% of your age from the number 209.
All of these formulas provide approximations that are based on the standard curves representing the "normal" MHR's for any given age, and they get you close to your own MHR, but not close enough. The numbers you will get when you plug in your own age would best be used as a guide, as opposed to an accurate measure. "

cyclinfool 05-19-09 05:16 AM

You may not find your max HR in a formula. It is just too generic and situational specific. I used the method in Friels book "total heart rate training". Basicly you go out for a few rides with your HRM and push yourself to certain levels based on your breathing and you measure it.

Pat 05-19-09 11:55 AM

I always figure that my maximum heart rate is whatever I can push it up to. It usually exceeds the 220-age formula. I do not think that the 220-age formula is particularly accurate. Also resting heart rate decreases with aerobic conditioning. It is a consequence of an enlargement of the heart's ventricles. My maximum heart rate seems to be relatively unaffected by conditioning. It just seems to be whatever it is.

chinarider 05-19-09 04:12 PM

There have been a number of threads on MHR. Basicaly ignore any formula. At best they're based on averages and can be way off for any particular person. It's like saying the average man is 5' 10", I'm a man, so I must be 5'10". FWIW: I'm 56 and have a MHR ~195-200 (and I'm 5'4").

Dan

JTGraphics 05-19-09 04:36 PM

Those HR formulas are not very good to say the least.
I'm 53 so with the HR formula I should be at 167?
I ride 40 miles with 2800 - 3900 ft climbing in a range from 102 - 190 range averaging 154 in about 2:30 - 2:40 min.
Forget those HR formulas, I'm not sure what my real max is as I haven't hit it yet 209 has been my highest so far and I still was riding.

John E 05-19-09 10:41 PM

My stats:
Resting pulse rate: 45 bpm
Empirical max pulse rate: 160 bpm

Note on blood pressure: I am a reformed mild hypertensive. What did the trick for me was a low-fat diet -- sodium restriction and exercise were not enough.

George 05-20-09 07:01 AM

Try this
http://www.machinehead-software.co.u..._abcc_bcf.html

PSR215 05-20-09 08:28 AM

How heavy are you? Being overweight would add to your load while climbing. I lost 35 lbs since last summer and I can do hills now at less than 135 bpm where last year I was up to 150+.. Other wise your numbers sound good.

jppe 05-20-09 09:30 AM

My guess is your max heart rate is closer to 175-180 just based on your 150 while climbing.

Keep up the riding!

chinarider 05-20-09 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by George (Post 8951019)

Gave me 169 for MHR. Only about 30 off.

ltmark 05-21-09 01:40 PM

Thanx for the comments

To answer one of the comments, I am 205 lbs. I was always 185 from 16 years old until 61 years old when I quit smoking! Trying to get the 15 lbs off before the "Ulcer" century in Utah August 8th. I have been really working on hills lately because they have always been my downfall (probably due to the smoking).

Again....this is a great forum. Thanx to everyone for the comments!

The Weak Link 05-21-09 01:52 PM

Numbers, numbers, numbers! It's enough to give DnvrFox a migraine. soon everyone is going to get a ruler out and measure their......well, never mind.

Wt: 210.
Ht: 5'10".
Resting: 52 or so.
Max HR: 166.
BP: On meds. My BP is sensitive to some medications and I've noticed NSAID's jack it up.

Hills: The last few times I've worn a heart monitor I've reached zone 5 quickly on any grade much over 2-3%. For these reason I go by perceived effort. I go as quickly as I can but back off if I feel sick or like I'm going to blow.

I don't climb very well. OTOH, I almost never have to dismount and push.

maddmaxx 05-21-09 02:01 PM

I'll go with Dnvr on this one. I'll be ** in a short time and I'm satisfied to have a heart rate.

How was that Dnvr?

stapfam 05-21-09 02:56 PM

62 and been riding for 18 yrs now. Bypass in 99 and this has not slowed me but has raised my resting HR to around 65 to 70. I treat my max as 165 and can reach it but it does hurt by the time I get near it. I do use a monitor occasionally but I have to do a warm up before the ride gets serious. Up to 120 and let it fall to 100- then to 130 and let it fall- then to 140 and when I can breath again- I go for 150. that will clear the lungs and then I am fine. Without that warm up- I will struggle on the ride- but I can ride all day at 135 to 140 and most hills and I see 150. I can still get to 165 but that hurts now. Perhaps I should lower the limit but I do try to get my max once on a ride.

And Hills- They hurt if I stay with the youngsters- so I set my own pace- try not to get above 150 but will normally see that on the 1 mile 12%ers that we have plenty of round here.

Road Fan 05-21-09 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 8951882)
My guess is your max heart rate is closer to 175-180 just based on your 150 while climbing.

Keep up the riding!

Don't think so. I often climb at 150 and my max is at least 192, empirically.

Checked out the Machinehead site - I don't see why the MHR given there is any better than the various mostly useless formulas. If you do have a good idea of what your max is, or what it is at least, you can use it to calculate trainign zones. but at the same time, there are about a dozen books on cycling training that will show you a way to do that.

Road Fan

keith7747 01-04-15 11:44 AM

I'm 62 as well

I will be 63 this year (2015), my resting Heart Rate is about 60-61. I use a Garmin 800 mostly when cycling.
I also High Wheel race (Penny Farthings). My average road biking is a B class. Average about 4,000 miles each year.
My max heart rate is about 178-182 when I'm pushing it. The stats say I should be 163. . . heck, I might as well stay home.
Of course I have felt my heart thumping, but when cycling the mountains/hills where I live, that's the norm (178-182).
I can't go by what the stats say about the max for a 60+ person. Those people who gave that the standard, must not have did any exercise.
Walking around and doing things my HR can be 130-145.
If I don't climb or move fast because of keeping within the standards, I feel like I'm not doing my best.
Keep a watch on what you do when cycling hard, pulling a hill.
Each year you will get better at it. The hill you climb today at your HR, in a few years, you will be doing it better, faster, and lower HR.
Find yourself one hill you ride all the time. Keep a watch on the speed, and HR. After at least a year, do that hill again and see what your scores are. Should be much better.
It's something you have to keep at it, even in the winter time, get yourself an indoor trainner to hook up to your bike.

BTW: over 10 years ago, I had smoked. Not a lot, maybe a pack a week...... But you would not know today.

GREAT that you're cycling, lets show these young pups, we still have it in us!
Keith

Originally Posted by ltmark (Post 8943268)

Thanx for reading

Carbonfiberboy 01-04-15 12:23 PM

69 y.o.
This morning: Resting heart rate 47, standing heart rate 56.
BP: usually ~120/65
LT ~144.
MHR ~157
VAM ~650 meters/hour

big john 01-04-15 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by keith7747 (Post 17440369)
I will be 63 this year (2015), my resting Heart Rate is about 60-61.
Keith

And the OP will be 68.

VNA 01-04-15 06:54 PM

Please, please see your favorite doctor if you have one because not only he has the right equipment but also the knowledge.

Heart rate varies so much between individuals under so many different circumstances.

There are so many variables, you should not rely on any one of us even on this website (nothing against this great website by the way)

qcpmsame 01-05-15 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 17441388)
And the OP will be 68.

And hasn't posted since 2011, probably not in the forum much. Digging up bones on this thread.

Bill

keith7747 01-12-15 03:04 AM

I agree, see a doctor. Each person will be different.

Originally Posted by VNA (Post 17441420)
Please, please see your favorite doctor if you have one because not only he has the right equipment but also the knowledge.

Heart rate varies so much between individuals under so many different circumstances.

There are so many variables, you should not rely on any one of us even on this website (nothing against this great website by the way)

Road Fan 01-15-15 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by George (Post 8951019)

404 - this link not found. Got anything newer?

bexiesbruv 01-15-15 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 17471688)
404 - this link not found. Got anything newer?

When you click the link it takes you to the 404.

Then highlight everything in the URL to the right of .co.uk, delete it and then reload the url. It will take you to the main page.