Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 Yrs Old - Heart Rate?

Good afternoon everyone. I have belonged to another forum for many years, but for some reason, it is "waining". Anyway...I am 62 and have been road riding for 20+ years. All recreational, with a centuy or two each summer. I retired seven years ago and have really been increasing my mileage this year. Finally, after 35 years, I have COMPLETELY quit smoking (one year ago) and my cycling has improved substantially. (duh?)

This year, my resting heart rate has gone from 78 to 49 and my average blood pressure is typically about 135/75. The 49 resting rate is genetic (now that it isn't raised by smoking). My father had to have a pacemanker to raise his resting rate when it got to the high twenties when he was 75! Strong as an ox though.

I ride with a cateye and I ride based on a max heart rate of 165. I got that from the 220-age, plus I then added 5 because I've always been involved in athletics and 160 just seemed low to me.

On tough, long hills, I just continually plug along at bout 5-6 miles and hour in an easy gear and try to keep my heart rate below 150, but I have to really concentrate on my breathing. Under those circumstances, I am just short of Lactate threshhold, but I can make it up most hills in my area without stopping. Some are two or so miles and 7%.

Anyone in my age range have any comments on my resting rate. blood pressure or my heart rate or speed on hills. I have never had anyone to ride with, so all I can tell about my progress I get from the forums.

Thanx for reading

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltmark View Post
    Good afternoon everyone. I have belonged to another forum for many years, but for some reason, it is "waining". Anyway...I am 62 and have been road riding for 20+ years. All recreational, with a centuy or two each summer. I retired seven years ago and have really been increasing my mileage this year. Finally, after 35 years, I have COMPLETELY quit smoking (one year ago) and my cycling has improved substantially. (duh?)

This year, my resting heart rate has gone from 78 to 49 and my average blood pressure is typically about 135/75. The 49 resting rate is genetic (now that it isn't raised by smoking). My father had to have a pacemanker to raise his resting rate when it got to the high twenties when he was 75! Strong as an ox though.

I ride with a cateye and I ride based on a max heart rate of 165. I got that from the 220-age, plus I then added 5 because I've always been involved in athletics and 160 just seemed low to me.

On tough, long hills, I just continually plug along at bout 5-6 miles and hour in an easy gear and try to keep my heart rate below 150, but I have to really concentrate on my breathing. Under those circumstances, I am just short of Lactate threshhold, but I can make it up most hills in my area without stopping. Some are two or so miles and 7%.

Anyone in my age range have any comments on my resting rate. blood pressure or my heart rate or speed on hills. I have never had anyone to ride with, so all I can tell about my progress I get from the forums.

Thanx for reading
    Well your resting rate seems normal to me. At least between those two ranges. Your blood pressure is in my ball park 130/85. But a 7 percent climb will have me pushing 165 to 170 Hr easy. I can get a HR of 150 when in a pace line at 24 MPH. But it is well known I hate hills. I do them but I hate them. I will make the excuse that I have not been in shape for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going on 70 in about 3 weeks. I typically ride (mountain bike, single track) in the 70 to 85% of measured max heart rate (174). Sometimes I deliberately push it in the 80 to 90% range and sometimes hit my max. I don't measure true resting heart rate, but did hit 49 in the doctors office once about a year ago.

Of the three equations for max heart rate below, the second is very close to my measured and probably is the most accurate for fit persons. This is from an article on heart rate training. There is a fourth equation that brings in the body weight factor, but I've lost it.

Al

"Simple Formulaic Estimation of the MHR Based on Age:
    In general, this method will provide reasonable accuracy for about 80% of runners, but it should almost invariably be supplemented with an actual test. Typically, one of three simple formulas is used to estimate one's maximum heart rate.

Formula #1: The first formula involves simply subtracting your age from the number 220 (for men) or from 226 (for women). This method is preferred for beginning runners, those who have been leading a sedentary lifestyle. MarathonGuide.com Simple Heart Zones Calculator

Formula #2: The second formula is very similar, but is preferable for those who are already quite active. For this formula, simply subtract half of your age from the number 205.

Formula #3: The third formula runs along the same vein as the two preceding it. For men, subtract 80% of your age from the number 214. For women, subtract 70% of your age from the number 209.
    All of these formulas provide approximations that are based on the standard curves representing the "normal" MHR's for any given age, and they get you close to your own MHR, but not close enough. The numbers you will get when you plug in your own age would best be used as a guide, as opposed to an accurate measure. "

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may not find your max HR in a formula. It is just too generic and situational specific. I used the method in Friels book "total heart rate training". Basicly you go out for a few rides with your HRM and push yourself to certain levels based on your breathing and you measure it.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always figure that my maximum heart rate is whatever I can push it up to. It usually exceeds the 220-age formula. I do not think that the 220-age formula is particularly accurate. Also resting heart rate decreases with aerobic conditioning. It is a consequence of an enlargement of the heart's ventricles. My maximum heart rate seems to be relatively unaffected by conditioning. It just seems to be whatever it is.

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been a number of threads on MHR. Basicaly ignore any formula. At best they're based on averages and can be way off for any particular person. It's like saying the average man is 5' 10", I'm a man, so I must be 5'10". FWIW: I'm 56 and have a MHR ~195-200 (and I'm 5'4").

Dan
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those HR formulas are not very good to say the least.
    I'm 53 so with the HR formula I should be at 167?
    I ride 40 miles with 2800 - 3900 ft climbing in a range from 102 - 190 range averaging 154 in about 2:30 - 2:40 min.
    Forget those HR formulas, I'm not sure what my real max is as I haven't hit it yet 209 has been my highest so far and I still was riding.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My stats:
    Resting pulse rate: 45 bpm
    Empirical max pulse rate: 160 bpm

Note on blood pressure: I am a reformed mild hypertensive. What did the trick for me was a low-fat diet -- sodium restriction and exercise were not enough.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How heavy are you? Being overweight would add to your load while climbing. I lost 35 lbs since last summer and I can do hills now at less than 135 bpm where last year I was up to 150+.. Other wise your numbers sound good.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is your max heart rate is closer to 175-180 just based on your 150 while climbing.

Keep up the riding!

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Gave me 169 for MHR. Only about 30 off.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx for the comments

To answer one of the comments, I am 205 lbs. I was always 185 from 16 years old until 61 years old when I quit smoking! Trying to get the 15 lbs off before the "Ulcer" century in Utah August 8th. I have been really working on hills lately because they have always been my downfall (probably due to the smoking).

Again....this is a great forum. Thanx to everyone for the comments!

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Numbers, numbers, numbers! It's enough to give DnvrFox a migraine. soon everyone is going to get a ruler out and measure their......well, never mind.

Wt: 210.
    Ht: 5'10".
    Resting: 52 or so.
    Max HR: 166.
    BP: On meds. My BP is sensitive to some medications and I've noticed NSAID's jack it up.

Hills: The last few times I've worn a heart monitor I've reached zone 5 quickly on any grade much over 2-3%. For these reason I go by perceived effort. I go as quickly as I can but back off if I feel sick or like I'm going to blow.

I don't climb very well. OTOH, I almost never have to dismount and push.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll go with Dnvr on this one. I'll be ** in a short time and I'm satisfied to have a heart rate.

How was that Dnvr?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    62 and been riding for 18 yrs now. Bypass in 99 and this has not slowed me but has raised my resting HR to around 65 to 70. I treat my max as 165 and can reach it but it does hurt by the time I get near it. I do use a monitor occasionally but I have to do a warm up before the ride gets serious. Up to 120 and let it fall to 100- then to 130 and let it fall- then to 140 and when I can breath again- I go for 150. that will clear the lungs and then I am fine. Without that warm up- I will struggle on the ride- but I can ride all day at 135 to 140 and most hills and I see 150. I can still get to 165 but that hurts now. Perhaps I should lower the limit but I do try to get my max once on a ride.

And Hills- They hurt if I stay with the youngsters- so I set my own pace- try not to get above 150 but will normally see that on the 1 mile 12%ers that we have plenty of round here.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    My guess is your max heart rate is closer to 175-180 just based on your 150 while climbing.

Keep up the riding!
    Don't think so. I often climb at 150 and my max is at least 192, empirically.

Checked out the Machinehead site - I don't see why the MHR given there is any better than the various mostly useless formulas. If you do have a good idea of what your max is, or what it is at least, you can use it to calculate trainign zones. but at the same time, there are about a dozen books on cycling training that will show you a way to do that.

Road Fan