Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling while on vacation

On my last vacation I managed to get close to Dnvrfox’s home town but I only brought my MTB. I wasn’t ready for the altitude trying to ride in the dirt and a MTB so I did a lot of my riding on the road. I did manage to ride a few miles every day.

This time I took my Masi and planned on riding a little every day in each of the states to and from Mount Rushmore. Didn’t happen.
    Day one was pretty good because we found ourselves in the little town of Cedar City. Nice little town for my first ride. Pulled out of the park and headed south down Main street. I didn’t get far before my wife called me to come back and take down the awning. Seems a little breeze was coming up. When I pulled out onto the street I thought something was wrong with me because it was all I could do to get up to 12 or 14 MPH. I thought my brakes were dragging or the tire was low on the Masi. But after about 5 or 6 miles I turned around and I thought I had been shot from a cannon. I had been climbing a deceptive grade against a pretty good wind and with both a downhill and a wind to my back I made it back to the park in short order. I stopped to take a picture in front of one of the town office buildings.

Pictures 1 and 2

The next two days were not so good. Evanston Wyoming and Cheyenne were both windy and we got there much later. Decide to wait till I got to South Dakota. Turns out that might have been a mistake. The first day we went to see Mount Rushmore and it decided to snow. It didn’t stick but it was pretty cold. The Second day we went to see the Crazy Horse Monument. Started out windy but it seemed to taper off by the time we got back to the RV. I quick changed into my Bibs, leg warmers, arm warmers and long sleeve jersey and off I went. I got about 4 miles out of town and the wind came back. I was riding a few rolling hills and seemed to be climbing reasonable well when I crested one and a blast hit me right in the chest. I actually had to downshift into the small ring to go downhill. It didn’t take long before I decided this simply was no way to spend a vacation day so finally I turned for home. Believe it or not I was averaging a better speed going up some of those hills with the wind than I did coming down them. And I was in the big ring. You can see I wasn’t dressed for summer.

Picture 3
    Next two days were just as cold and windy so I decided to hope for better weather on the way home. Laramie didn’t deliver. The weather was a bit warmer but once again windy as all get out. However today we got to Salt Lake City and it felt much better. It was a bit warmer than I wanted but not so much that I didn’t want to ride. I did see quite a few riders over by the airport in SLC. And they all waved so some roadies will acknowledge you. I planned on getting in 25 miles but I got a flat, a dreaded snake bite but I got in a quick 20 miles before dinner and am looking forward to Saint George tomorrow.
    Picture4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Foster; 05-18-09 at 11:42 PM.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time make it a cycling specific vacation and you will have a much more enjoyable time. There are lots of good companies/organizations for cycling specific vacations, plus my wife and I have had great vacations with OBR (Oregon Bike Ride) and Cycle America.

http://www.oregonbicycleride.org/obr_itinerary.html

http://www.cycleamerica.com/fees.htm

Rick / OCRR

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Next time make it a cycling specific vacation and you will have a much more enjoyable time. There are lots of good companies/organizations for cycling specific vacations, plus my wife and I have had great vacations with OBR (Oregon Bike Ride) and Cycle America.

http://www.oregonbicycleride.org/obr_itinerary.html

http://www.cycleamerica.com/fees.htm

Rick / OCRR
    I could do that if my wife wasn't coming along. She doesn't cycle.

I should also remember to wait for spring in the northern states. Warm in California did not translate to a warm spring in South Dakota. Wyoming wasnít bad temperature wise but the wind can be brutal.

I take one vacation a year without my wife and that is in August. I go to what is called Didgefest located in North Fork California. It is three or four days of playing hand drums and digeridoos. I see friends that I only see that week. But this is the last year for that event so maybe I will have to change my vacation habits. There are some interesting roads in the Dakotas but I can tell drivers arenít used to cyclists and many of the roads that are not considered main highways have almost no shoulder. I was warned by locals not to try riding the needle highway during the high season for tourists.

Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice report, Robert.

I don't envy you the wind and the cold, but it is nice to be able to ride in different areas every now and then. That you were able to cycle while on vacation indicates that your wife has a good sense of humor about things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough time of year to ride in that area. I hauled my Atlantis all the way from Reno to Mt. Rushmore a few years ago and only took it off the rack to lock it in the motel at night. I don't mind riding at around freezing temps, but low 20s and snow made me a television watcher.

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never taken a bike along but once I bought a bike in San Diego on CL for $60 and rode it around for a week. Last year in Vegas I rented a road bike and rode the Red Rock Canyon. Your way sounds better, though!

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverborama View Post
    I've never taken a bike along but once I bought a bike in San Diego on CL for $60 and rode it around for a week. Last year in Vegas I rented a road bike and rode the Red Rock Canyon. Your way sounds better, though!
    I don't think I will go without a bike again. Sure I didn't get in as many rides as I wanted but how many times has any of us just sat around killing time when we could get out and see the places we visit up close?

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Tough time of year to ride in that area. I hauled my Atlantis all the way from Reno to Mt. Rushmore a few years ago and only took it off the rack to lock it in the motel at night. I don't mind riding at around freezing temps, but low 20s and snow made me a television watcher.
    I talked to one of the shop owners in Custer and he said most of the town shuts down for the winter. The RV park we used doesn't even open till May 1st. It must get real cold.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. We've been doing the same thing from California to St. Louis to Kansas City. I've found the same thing as you: it's not always easy to get a long ride in. But we've had a few great short rides. You can read our blog here:

http://carbiketrip.blogspot.com/

Tomorrow we'll be heading up to South Dakota and then start across to Yellowstone. Hopefully the temps will rise a bit, and maybe the wind will drop.
    Last edited by TromboneAl; 05-21-09 at 04:42 PM.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure