My Bikes
    Surly Steamroller customised fixie and an old GT Zasker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new 531 galaxy 03 v new 631 Galaxy 08

Hi
    This is a continuation of my other thread on a do evertything bike. I am now looking at buying a Dawes Galaxy and I have the chance of buying a brand new, old stock 531 lugged Dawes Galaxy 2003 model or a new 2008 631 butted model. Can anyone tell me, which would be the smoothest ride? You hear so much about traditional reynolds lugged bikes, dont know if it is just hype. There si a bit of urgency here as I said I would let the shop know tomorrow.
    Cheers.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not certain what the difference is in the two materials- but 631 is supposed to be the modern 531. Think I would be more inclined to look at the specifications of the components on the two bikes- and there should be a very appreciable Price differential on the two bikes. All I am thinking is that a lot has changed on Components since 2003 and they have improved a bit.

Difference in ride should not be great- if any- between the two materials. So let the wallet and Component quality tell you what to get.

Link to the Supposed difference on the two materials.

http://www.dawescycles.com/c-47-abou...lds-steel.aspx
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    All I am thinking is that a lot has changed on Components since 2003 and they have improved a bit.
    Then again, few of my components are as recent as 2003 even and they work quite well.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the original question was as much a lugged vs. butted frame as material. Yes, it claims that 631 is an improved 531 with 10% more strength.

If components are the same and price is similar, I'd go for the lugged frame just for the looks, but that's just the traditionalist in me. I make no claims as to the functional difference between the two, which may or may not be substantial.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they both have the same dimensions, and they should since they are the same model, and they both had the same tires I am not sure you could tell the difference in the ride. Both should ride very nicely with those long chain stays. The 631 should be a little lighter because it can be made thinner and it doesn't have the lugs but the 531 probably looks better. Me I would probably go with the newer one but then I would probably wish I had bought the one with the cool lugs later .

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't Dawes a Bikes Direct brand? Was it in 2003?

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Isn't Dawes a Bikes Direct brand? Was it in 2003?
    I think the OP lives in Scotland. Over there, I think "Dawes" is still "Dawes."

AFAIK BikesDirect only has rights to the Dawes name in the U.S. of A.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I think the OP lives in Scotland. Over there, I think "Dawes" is still "Dawes."

AFAIK BikesDirect only has rights to the Dawes name in the U.S. of A.
    I see. Things sure do get complicated.