Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-22-09, 06:53 AM   #1
NOS88

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can a seatpost make that much difference?

I would never have guessed that going from one aluminum seat post to another would make such a difference. From aluminum to carbon? Yeah, I would expect that. But when I switched the Bontrager Race Lite to the Ultegra 6600, I was simply looking for more setback. What I got was a ride that is noticeably more comfortable. Does this make any sense, or is this just a case of the placebo effect? I'm guessing the setback of the Ultegra is the most likely reason, given the Bontrager had no setback at all. In any event, I'm pleased with the results and see no reason to put a carbon post in my titanium frame (although the aesthetics of the lighter colored aluminum against the darker titanium will take some time to get used to.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bontrager seatpost.jpg (3.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ultegra seatpost.jpg (8.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-22-09, 11:01 AM   #2
bobbycorno

Bikes:
Unless changing posts changed your position, I wouldn't expect the offset of the post to make a difference in comfort. The wall thicknes of the post, however, can make a BIG difference, and I'd be willing to bet that the Ultegra has thinner walls than the, ahem, "less expensive" Bontrager. Thinner tubing = better shock absorption (given the same OD and material).

SP
ps - I was going to say "thinner tubing is more flexible", but using the "f" word (especially in a positive sense) is a sure way to start a flame war.
bobbycorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 11:10 AM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Ti Frame- and Aluminium- Get grease on the seatpost- Ti and Ally can weld themselves together with just compression.

Weigh the two posts- There will be a difference- and it boils back to OM branded parts not being as good as after- market.

And I have said it before- I am never happy with Bontrager parts.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 02:00 PM   #4
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Then how does all this relate to the legendary Thomson Masterpiece seat post?
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 07:49 PM   #5
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
There is a reason why you wanted to switch to a seatpost with some set back so I'm assuming that it changed your position on the bike. A 1 inch difference in the seat to handlebar distance is huge.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 08:33 PM   #6
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
seat post do make a difference, I have an Eriksen ti on my serotta and by far the best money I ever spent on any kind of a seat post.
HAMMER MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 04:21 AM   #7
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Whatever the reason, our butts know what is best!!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 05:14 AM   #8
Road Fan

Bikes:
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycorno View Post
Unless changing posts changed your position, I wouldn't expect the offset of the post to make a difference in comfort. The wall thicknes of the post, however, can make a BIG difference, and I'd be willing to bet that the Ultegra has thinner walls than the, ahem, "less expensive" Bontrager. Thinner tubing = better shock absorption (given the same OD and material).

SP
ps - I was going to say "thinner tubing is more flexible", but using the "f" word (especially in a positive sense) is a sure way to start a flame war.
The effect of reducing the shock to your butt is based on flexing, which is energy storage, precisely the same principle as a spring. Shock absorption is energy dissipation - the more proper term for an automotive shock absorber is "damper." Metal posts (aluminum, Ti, and steel) will have this energy storage. Carbon posts will provide some energy storage and some energy dissipation. Dissipation is just converting the energy to heat. Not a lot of heat, but that's where it goes. This dissipation is part of the carbon ride quality, and can be fine-tuned in the design process.

But in this case flexing is not a negative thing. It represents storage and release of energy due to hitting a bump, not so much energy due to pedaling.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 05:20 AM   #9
Road Fan

Bikes:
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
Then how does all this relate to the legendary Thomson Masterpiece seat post?
If you look inside a Thomson you'll see the tube wall is thicker on the front and rear of the post and thinner on the sides. It has a better ability to resist flex due to rider weight and due to bumps, than to lateral forces such as in seated pedaling.

If there's a reputation for magical ride qualities, I'd assume it's related to this tube wall design combined with a very secure saddle rail clamp - any saddle forces are well-connected to the tube, plus the saddle has a lot of dimensional stability.

I'm very familiar with the ($) Elite but I've never bought a ($$$) Masterpiece. I can't say too much about how they differ, other than the weight spec.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote