Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Dean, De Rosa, Langster, some old Brit track iron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode my age today

Yup, did it again. 54 miles in 2:47:50, 19.3 mph. Technically it's two days early so I only needed 53.9945205 miles. Gotta work this weekend, no time for a ride that long.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Age distance: ok.....
    Speed:
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilG View Post
    Yup, did it again. 54 miles in 2:47:50, 19.3 mph. Technically it's two days early so I only needed 53.9945205 miles. Gotta work this weekend, no time for a ride that long.
    I think you mean 54.9945205. In reality you have finished 54 years on your birthday.

Our birthdays are at the end of each year. Just saying.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. You've just ridden an extra 53rd birthday ride. You aren't 54 yet. You can't ride your age before you become that age. You still need to to a 54th birthday ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he gets extra points for speed
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode my age too

Rode my age (61) first time about a month ago. Been casual riding a hybrid since '02 but got into the Road bike thing in Feb. 09.

My buddy (69) wanted to ride in the MS 150 in May, so he dropped $2500 on a new bike and equipment. We started riding with a local bike club. That was a good move as it provided support, training, and encouragement. Started out with a 30 mile ride with a borrowed '89 Trek 1200. That got me hooked. My buddy kept pushing up the miles, and one day he said he wanted to do 50. Since I ride 2.5 mi to the club meeting point, I would be doing 55 anyway. Decided to take a detour on the way home and racked up the extra 6 mi. Butt was a bit sore, but otherwise felt very good. Can't say the pace was great. Probably averaged 14 or so. Did it again a few weeks later, but at a better clip, about 16 mph.

Just bit the bullet and got a new bike, an '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro in Lemon Yellow. Very happy with the bike. Took about 45 min to unpack and assemble. Spent a few other hours putzing with minor details and mounting speedo, lights, etc. Put in 40 mi today with the group and averaged 17.8 with the last 10mi at 25. Broke way from the pack with a couple of the big boys. Tried the with the old bike and only lasted about 4 mi.

Looking forward to the century at the Mt. Dora (FL) Bikefest in Oct. Hear the Sugarloaf mt (really just a hill, albeit a big one, is the highlight of the ride. =( Follow up with the Miami MS 150 next year. Card Sound bridge is the big hurdle there. PS: My buddy only did the first day (75 mi) of the 150, but since he is 69, he exceeded his age for the first time!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that ride time, with stopped (rest) time not included? Or is it actual elapsed time?

Either way, it's impressive. Extremely impressive to me!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capejohn View Post
    I think you mean 54.9945205. In reality you have finished 54 years on your birthday.

Our birthdays are at the end of each year. Just saying.
    Doh! I am math impaired, that's why I went to music school. So, I have two days credit now?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Is that ride time, with stopped (rest) time not included? Or is it actual elapsed time?
    Nonstop ride. Okay, I think I stopped at one red light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm math impaired too; but I know a good ride when I see one...way to go neilG.

Neil_B
    This Neil is impressed your performance, Neil. Good job!

Neil B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Congrats on a great Ride.

I couldn't do a quarter of my age at the pace you rode. Very impressive.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand in awe of Neil' pace blistering on his age ride!

Let me report that last weekend I did my age (61) for the 2nd time, but this time at 18.1 mph. Have to admit, after only riding for 4 months, I'm pretty darn happy with that. Ok, so the middle 30 miles was in a pace line.

If Neil did all that plowing the air all on his own, that's even more incredible! I can't imagine how I could get that extra 1.2 mph. Also, my ride was in Orlando so that, other than a few overpasses and a couple of gradual slopes, it's pretty darn flat.
    Last edited by bobthib; 06-06-09 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling and readability
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    Let me report that last weekend I did my age (61) for the 2nd time, but this time at 18.1 mph. Have to admit, after only riding for 4 months, I'm pretty darn happy with that. Ok, so the middle 30 miles was in a pace line.

If Neil did all that plowing the air all on his own, that's even more incredible! I can't imagine how I could get that extra 1.2 mph. Also, my ride was in Orlando so that, other than a few overpasses and a couple of gradual slopes, it's pretty darn flat.
    18.1 for 61 miles is phenomenal after only riding for 4 months! Even with a paceline, that's damn fine. Next year we go faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding, neilG. 54 miles@19.3 mph, and I would have been hauled off in the meat wagon... probably after about 3 miles!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, Neil, I was out gunning for ya! Ever since your OP on this thread, I've been out for ya. Now, I have to admit, I still have not topped your accomplishment, at least not head to head. But I did do my first true century today, and buddy, you were on my mind the whole way. I was hoping that at the "ride my age" mark (62) I would have matched, or topped, your 19.3. Alas, the computer read a lousy 18.7. It was at 19.4 at the 35 mile mark, but the headwinds and a slower pace line after the rest stop knocked me back. At my "age" I was still at 18.7 so I decided that I was going to give your accomplishment a run for the money at the final century mark.

I made an effort to stay near the front of the pack, and while I can't pull at 23-25, I was able to keep pace. Alas, at the 92 mile mark, it was all gone. I couldn't muster what it took to keep up. I dropped back and found a group at 19-21 and rode them home. Final count: 100 miles, 5:15 ride time, 19.04 mph. I didn't whop ya, but I'm damn happy with that. Perhaps the extra 8 yrs have something to do with it.

So, your accomplishment still stands. For now.
    Last edited by bobthib; 12-06-09 at 06:57 PM.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilG View Post
    Yup, did it again. .
    Shoot, I did that when I was 10 years old...

Planning it again in January, though, when I turn 65. I had to take most of the summer off the bike with knee problems, which are finally coming around. I've been gradually extending (cardio is OK, orthopedics are iffy), and if necessary I'll postpone for weather or flare-ups, but I'll do the distance before spring.
    Strong ride, by the way. I'll be slower.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Birthday ride should be done on your birthday--Thats why it should correctly be called-"Riding your age" But riding your age is still a misnomer. What Age? Actual age- The age you feel or the way you act? Probably why so many of us are happy with a 12 mile ride.

But have to agree- Good ride at a good speed- but only a ride your age for 53.

So have you done your 54 age ride yet.It's been six months since you rode your 53 age one

And on that speed thing- I can't remember the last time I broke 16mph for a metric.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW. The only way I go that fast is to reset the wheel size on my computer....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post

Final count: 100 miles, 5:15 ride time, 19.04 mph. I didn't whop ya, but I'm damn happy with that.
    Yowza! I'd be damn happy with that too.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought of riding my age on my birthday 2 days ago. Trouble is, the temp was -18 with a wind chill temp of -35 and there was a bit of fresh snow and lots of ice on the roads. So that's my excuse! Hah! I did jump on my trainer for a while but that's not the same......I envy you riders who live down south!
    I'll take a rain check.....?snow check??.... for 66 miles next summer!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ -18? You definitely qualify for an extension!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Shrimp! I freeze when it gets below 50! Go into hibernation until the spring thaw!
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never rode my age. Shoe size, now we're talking.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, well done! 19.3 wow
    I have a goal for 2010 now, well another one anyway, haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast