User Tag List

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Treated Like Gold on a Century

Now this is the way it's done! I did the Mountains of Misery ride yesterday in NewPort, VA, and the support couldn't have been better. There were 10 total rest stops. Good food and friendly host. Baked potatoes! I used about every other one, except to duck in and use the facilities.

On the final 3-mile, 11.9% average grade, there was tons of encouragement and support, including the traditional cowbells at the finish, and even an announcer to call off our names.

I was able to complete the 60-mile, and the final climb without having to walk, but it was a close call at the end. Plenty of much, much younger/thinner riders were walking to the end.

I didn't have to test the organizers' patience by being the last one out on the course this time I had 7:12 ride time, and 7:52 course time.

Now for the Over-50 content:
    1) I wore my 50+ jersey on the ride. I didn't see any others out there. Most of the people I passed on the climb were wearing team kits
    2) Today I'm doing colon prep for my colonoscopy tomorrow, so I'm on the old liquid diet routine. I don't think this is quite fair considering how ravenous I am after yesterday's ride

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Mountains of Misery" followed by a colonoscopy. Someone's a glutton for punishment, hm?

Anyway, sounds like a grand ride. Hoping for a good outcome on the procedure.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never done a bad organized ride, but some are better organized than others. Makes you realize how dependent these rides are on the corps of volunteers, and I really appreciate their efforts.
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact
    1981 Raleigh Super Record
    Trek 4900 MTB
    My blog: "Bike Noob" http://bikenoob.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of our 50+ riders, NealH did the 100 mile ride in 7:40. He also had great things to say about the ride.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on finishing strong on that ride - the finish sounds tough.

Sounds like you're having a wonderful Memorial Day (liquid diet? colonoscopy prep on Memorial Day?).

I'll have a burger in your honor...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola View Post
    "Mountains of Misery" followed by a colonoscopy. Someone's a glutton for punishment, hm?

Anyway, sounds like a grand ride. Hoping for a good outcome on the procedure.
    When I started to read this I thought "Mountains of Misery" was going to be followed by something other than what I actually read.

JimF22003, Congrats on a great ride and best of luck to you tomorrow.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright!!! Great job!!

Were the ladies spraying folks with water at one of the last rest stops the final 3 miles by chance?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No spraying They did offer water cups Tour-de-France style at the last stop 1.5 miles before the end. I declined since I wasn't stopping, but I wouldn't have minded if they would have doused me with it

The colonoscopy is just a routine check. I've been sucking down popsicles and chicken broth all day, and dreaming of pizza...

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the last 3 miles were steep-but I didn't realize how much uphill it was from the river to get to the start of the 3 mile climb until I downloaded the Garmin.

I'll shoot myself for even thinking it, but I might just have to give the 100 miler one more try. I doubt I can do any better than the 6hr 45 min I did the first time though. I still recall "resting" on the 11% grades on the last climb-and agree that the grades reach high teens based on my numbers. A fellow cyclist from not far away does the double and tried to talk me into doing that one. I can ride 120 miles but NOT with that hill waiting at the finish!!!

Porbably mentioned it before-but my wife drove me up there the afternoon before just to look at the finish. We came in the other road and I was relieved as it didn't look too steep. Then she took me down the road of the finish. I didn't sleep too well the night before after seeing that hill!!!

Congrats again. If you can finish that one you can ride any of them!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just plain cruel to put such a moutain at the END of a ride. Would the route be better in reverse?
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, I did see you on the ride, but you were gone before I could introduce myself, and I didn't see you at the end. 7:52 total time is awesome. If I can figure out why I had such an IT band issue, I'll probably try this one again. I don't think I can get sub 8 hours, but perhaps close to it.

I agree the volunteers doing support on this ride were wonderful. The nicest, friendliest people, and they work a very long day supporting all the people who do this ride.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're gonna be skinny!

I was ravenous during my 100 mile ride Sunday and the day after I kept a healthy appetite as well. I've kept the protein powder flowing since Sunday and been laying off the legs till tomorrow. I can't imagine going off food after a big ride like that, not the next day.

Good luck with the scope!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    The colonoscopy is just a routine check. I've been sucking down popsicles and chicken broth all day, and dreaming of pizza...
    They're not making you drink the 4 liters of Golytely?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "HalfLytley". Only half as awsome Procedure all finished. Now I'm too bloated to eat. This is not fair.

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    2) Today I'm doing colon prep for my colonoscopy tomorrow, so I'm on the old liquid diet routine. I don't think this is quite fair considering how ravenous I am after yesterday's ride
    Eeww, did we have to hear that?

Just kidding. Glad the century went well and hope for the same on your colonoscopy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, congrats on your ride, and I guess you are the real man here, I am having my colonoscopy procedure Monday & is already worrying how to survive with no food for 2 days Good luck on your procedure!