User Tag List

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L.A. Bike Marathon

OK - I hauled my ancient posterior all over town, capturing a few pictures and spending way too much money on the enterprise, but having a lot of fun in the process.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...35#post8985835
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks icyclist,

It was good to read something positive about the L.A. Marathon ride. Ever since I moved to the L.A. area, cyclists have warned me not to do it! Too many riders, they said, too many inexperienced cyclists they said. Plus, it's so short, only 26.4 miles.

Maybe it's not such a dangerous mix after all. Still, it does seem kind of short.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you, icyclist!!
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >it's so short, only 26.4 miles.<

It's actually about 21 miles - it's not quite the same course as the runners' marathon. Do what I do - ride from your home, or from wherever, and back, after the marathon - in my case, 42 miles.

There are only too many people the first quarter of a mile or so - then it begins to thin out.

Edit: ride 21 miles as fast as possible - carry some extra weight on your bike: water bottles, panniers loaded with weights, etc. Twenty one miles won't seem so short.
    Last edited by icyclist; 05-26-09 at 08:06 PM.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had gone but I slept through it

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love it!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the coverage for the Giro went off on Universal Sports I watched the LA Marathon Challenge-saw the last 4-5 miles. During the coverage they mentioned the Bike Marathon but not a lot of details. In fact I think they mentioned that the head of Honda road in it (the fellow who presented the $100k to the winner)??? Your post helps to make sense of that now.

While watching the runners (great foot race btw) I noticed a few cyclists soft pedaling alongside the runners. The cyclists didn't look to be assisting with the event but just watching. Do you know if cyclists at large can ride along???

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a very cool event. If there was something like that going on near here, I would want to be in it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.