Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

N+Zero

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-09, 08:02 PM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
N+Zero

Well, it feels like a new bike anyway.

I just got my 20 year old Specialized Hard Rock back from its two week stay at the Community Bicyclist. I got a new job recently and am doing 20 mile RT commutes. I'm going to be using the bike a lot, so I thought I'd better get a complete tuneup. New wheels, tires, bottom bracket, cables, brakes, chain and everything adjusted.

It's like a new bike. I almost went over the handlebars the first time I clamped the brakes.

Its been fun commuting on my Bacchetta Giro 20, but I have to admit I like how the Hard Rock feels like an extension of me.

Woohoo!

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-31-09, 12:30 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Well, it feels like a new bike anyway.

I just got my 20 year old Specialized Hard Rock back from its two week stay at the Community Bicyclist. I got a new job recently and am doing 20 mile RT commutes. I'm going to be using the bike a lot, so I thought I'd better get a complete tuneup. New wheels, tires, bottom bracket, cables, brakes, chain and everything adjusted.

It's like a new bike. I almost went over the handlebars the first time I clamped the brakes.

Its been fun commuting on my Bacchetta Giro 20, but I have to admit I like how the Hard Rock feels like an extension of me.

Woohoo!
CONGRATULATIONS on the new job! The bike news is cool, but the job news is really good to hear. I've been wondering how you were faring. I'm just delighted to hear you've landed new employment. FTW!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-31-09, 10:06 AM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks D.G.

I now work in what can only be described as an advertising factory. The company has two studios that they use to create up to 5,000 30 second spots per year. My job is to make all the text for it, inspiring lines like "Call now!" that explode onto the screen with a burst shape behind it. Most of their work is for windows, and plastic siding for houses, but theres some variety beyond that.

The deadlines are all immediate, so the pressure is always on, but then all the problems pass away quickly.

It's probably good. I needed a job where I got more production experience to get my speed up. And there are a few occasions where I get to make a real 3D animation or two.

And now I get almost 20 miles of riding in each day. The route has a surprising amount of variety. Steep hills, long flat roads with 8 foot shoulders, narrow pothole-ridden heavily trafficed urban streets, rolling hills through suburbia... The best part is after work, going through Boyle Park, into the woods and along Rock Creek.

But come winter I will have to figure out whether to skip Boyle Park or whether to get some massive lights. But there is still a little time on that decision. And there are some of the neighborhoods that I ride in that may be a bit sketchy after dark. Cops have warned me about that. I may not worry too much, the same night I was warned, there was an armed robbery in our apartment complex parking lot, so I don't need to go far for danger.

The bike looks so much cooler. Now its got black wheels with black spokes, hubs and rims and white (reflective) sidewall tires. Almost stylish. And I'm adding a water bottle rack because even in spring, one bottle of water barely makes the whole trip. Now that the temps are climbing into the 90s from the 50s, I think I'm gonna need more fluids.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-31-09, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'd say it's N+00.00's, as in a paycheck again. I echo DG's congrats.
Old 05-31-09, 06:59 PM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I'd say it's N+00.00's, as in a paycheck again. I echo DG's congrats.
LOL. Thanks.

I like giving old bikes new life. It feels like I'm gaming the system.