Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heartbreak Century, Lebec, CA May 23, 2009

The Heartbreak Hundred Century (by Planet Ultra) was the third of three rides in the 2009 King (or Queen) of the Mountains series. From the O.C. Rebels we had Chuck Chen, Chuck Wentworth, Julie and Colin Stokes, Linda Adams, Arthur Shapiro, Joey “The Mouth” Guzzino, Elise Haussler and your Faithful Scribe, Rick Burneson.

Some of the O C Rebels before the start

The Heartbreak starts and finishes in Lebec, CA and winds through the mountains around the area roughly known as The Grapevine, with jaunts through Frazier Park, Apache Saddle, Ventucopa, and the Heartbreak Mountain, from whence it derives its name. I started out a bit behind the big pack, but eventually caught several Rebels on the climb up towards Mt. Pinos, a 12-mile climb pretty much right out of the gate.

The Climb to Mt. Pinos

Linda and Rick at Apache Saddle

Ex-Rebel Paul Haussler was working the first Checkpoint at Apache Saddle, (at 20 miles), so after filling bottles and eating a bit there it was a rather long haul to lunch in Ventucopa at mile 54. I was probably somewhat dehydrated, so I tried to drink a lot at lunch, but ultimately not enough as I suffered with pretty severe dehydration from miles 54 - 75, where I was revived at the Heartbreak checkpoint.

Most of the Rebels I'd passed earlier repassed me (as well as lots of non-Rebels!) as I trundled slowly up Heartbreak at a woeful 2.5 MPH, yet I did make it without getting off the bike. Julie handed me a few Jelly- Beans as she went past (thanks Julie!), and Santiago rider Doug Patterson advised me to "Drink, drink, drink." as he rode by, obviously recognizing in me the signs of advanced dehydration!

Climbing above the tree line

Me, near death on the Heartbreak climb

Fortunately, my friend Terri Boykins was working the Heartbreak Checkpoint, and took care of me so well that I was dramatically revived and able to not only continue, but actually ride a lot stronger from the Heartbreak Checkpoint, for the remaining 25 miles to the finish. I finished feeling really good, but not forgetting my low point earlier in the day! Linda’s altimeter showed 8,700 feet of climbing in 100.2 miles, and my time was 8:11.

Terri busy filling water bottles with ice at Heartbreak Checkpoint

Now that I’ve completed the three King of the Mountain rides within the time limits, I can buy the KOM jersey! Of course I don’t have to . . . but I will. It is kind of a cool jersey. Here’s a link to the KOM site:

http://www.planetultra.com/KOM/index.html

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 05-27-09 at 11:18 AM.

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again Rick, outstanding write-up!! Buy the jersey and wear it proudly.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay Dante,

I wasn't going to . . . but I finally did order the jersey. In years to come I can wear it proudly and people can ride by and think, "Nah, that old guy couldn't have done that . . . must have bought the jersey on ebay."

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, people won't think that, you're a good climber. Now if I was wearing that jersey, they would think, "Nah, cement trucks can't climb"
    Make mine a double!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, Rick. Wear it proudly...just don't wear it during se...uh...well...you know.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    ...just don't wear it during se...uh...well...you know.
    Sorry Louis,

I know there is some kind of joke here, but I don't get it. Maybe I'm a bit more dense than usual, so please advise!

Thanks,

Rick / OCRR

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a trophy up in the loft- with all my other memorabilia from rides.

Nothing special about it- and it is just a small lump of plastic with the ride- year and one other word on it. It says- "South Downs Way" "1997" "Survivor"

The SDW is a tough ride and I have attempted it 11 times- and failed 3 times. That one trophy says it all. Talk to all the youngsters on the hills each year on the lead up to the ride and they are out practising for the ride. They never believe that some of the older riders can do this event but that trophy- that was only given in 1997- has become a collectors piece. And if you have one-you are respected.

Go for that jersey- You at least will know how much sweat and tears went into earning it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I have a trophy up in the loft- with all my other memorabilia from rides.
    Nothing special about it- and it is just a small lump of plastic with the ride- year and one other word on it. It says- "South Downs Way" "1997" "Survivor"
    Go for that jersey- You at least will know how much sweat and tears went into earning it.
    Thanks stapfam,

I will wear the jersey and may even post of photo of me wearing it someday. We didn't get a "lump of plastic" as you say, but we did get a pair of "King of the Mountains" socks. I'm saving mine to wear with my KOM jersey.

Rode with Lee (scvroadie on the forums) on Saturday and he was wearing his KOM socks. I told him they were good for an extra 5 mph on the climbs! He wasn't so sure . . .

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking roads and a great description. Lots of climbing! Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post

Rode with Lee (scvroadie on the forums) on Saturday and he was wearing his KOM socks. I told him they were good for an extra 5 mph on the climbs! He wasn't so sure . . .

Rick / OCRR
    That must be why he was able to out-climb me all day! I couldn't figure it out.
    You were gone, but after Newcomb Ranch on the way back my chain started coming apart, (1 of the pins came half way out), so I didn't push it too hard. It was making noise and clunking but I wanted to get done before the rain came, so I didn't stop to check it. When I got home I saw the link plate hanging and I felt pretty stupid.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, that first picture looks like it could be part of a "get more bars" cell phone commercial.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    That must be why he was able to out-climb me all day! I couldn't figure it out.
    You were gone, but after Newcomb Ranch on the way back my chain started coming apart, (1 of the pins came half way out), so I didn't push it too hard. It was making noise and clunking but I wanted to get done before the rain came, so I didn't stop to check it. When I got home I saw the link plate hanging and I felt pretty stupid.
    Sorry to hear about the chain John! I was with Laura, and when we got to Newcomb's we both agreed/decided to keep on going. I drove the Miata to the top of Wilson when I got back to Red Box, so I could phone my wife, then took off for home. Great day though, and great ride!

Rick / OCRR