Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling in Victoria, BC options?

I have to go to Victoria BC next week for a conference and I'm wondering if it might be possible to get some riding in while I'm there. Does anyone knows anything about cycling options in Victoria? Is there a good place to rent a non-beach cruiser? Do you know anything about good routes to take?

Thanks!
    Last edited by PrairieDog; 05-27-09 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo
    Specialized Ruby Expert; Salsa Casseroll, Rivendell Betty Foy; Xtracycle

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of folks from Vancouver and Vancouver Island who regularly post in the Pacific Northwest forum - you might try over there. I've only visited Victoria, not w/biking in mind, so I can't help.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip as long as you stay away from Butchart Gardens - too many plants.

BB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also try the western canada forum.Don't know which hotel you are staying at but Fairfield bicycles is close to the conference centre,would be a good place to start asking questions at. http://www.fairfieldbicycle.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acouple of other things,the Galloping Goose trail is a paved train to bike path that goes in excess of 30 miles that starts in the downtown area of Victoriia,haven't rode it but know that it is a popular route. The other is if the wife is travelling with you contary to what BengeBoy says Butchard Gardens is a nice place for her to visit especially if it keeps her away from Tourist row with all the goodies and fooferalls that women folks like to spend your cash on.Two places on the strip though are worth a visit.Rodger's Chocolate and E.A.Morris Tobaccoists,both places have been open in the same locations for over a hundred years and the atmospheres of both are worth dropping into them.Beware the chocolates are each worth at least ten miles on the bike to work off and cuban cigars have never been out of stock at the tobacco shoppe.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    The other is if the wife is travelling with you contary to what BengeBoy says Butchard Gardens is a nice place for her to visit
    I think PrairieDog is a "she," and is a huge gardener, to boot. I doubt that there is anything I could post that would keep her away from Butchart Gardens (if she hasn't already been).
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 05-27-09 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I think PrairieDog is a "she," and is a huge gardener, to boot. I doubt that there is anything I could post that would keep her away from Butchard Gardens (if she hasn't already been).

Right on both counts. Butchart Gardens on the first day, cycling on the second. Checking the PNW forums is a great suggestion, BengeBoy--thanks!

overthehillmedi: I've heard of the Galloping Goose trail--I'll check it out.

And as for cigars, I'll pass, but I'm headed for that chocolate shop...
    Last edited by PrairieDog; 05-27-09 at 09:42 PM.
    Specialized Ruby Expert; Salsa Casseroll, Rivendell Betty Foy; Xtracycle

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last visit...they took a perfectly good rock quarry and turned it into this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lady Prairiadog,I will not (repeat) will not be held resposible for any change in your waistline caused by you entering Rodger's Chocolate.Warning,upon entering the shop you will feel the calories entering your body by osmosis. Stay away from the Victoria Creams. Enjoy your time in Victoria.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    My last visit...they took a perfectly good rock quarry and turned it into this.

Hey, that sure looks like Queen E Park in Vancouver!

Anyway, if someone wants to scope out riding in Victoria, I'd check out the Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition website.

They've got lots of information on riding in the area and you can probably contact them easily enough to get some specific concerns addressed.
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

There are a number of good routes. A good loop is from Victoria to Butchart over to Sidney and then the Lochside Trail back to Victoia. It is on the east side of the peninsula. A lot of it is finely crushed gravel, but we have ridden fully loaded touring bikes on it seveal times with pretty skinny tires and did just fine. Try the Fort Street Bike Shop in Victoria. There is also a bike shop on 2nd and Beacon in Sidney that may have rentals. The airport is close to Sidney and some of the Ferries dock there. It is also easy to get to the Gardens by bus from Victoria.

Best wishes on your visit to a great city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checking as to how your trip to Victoria went.

ljg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just moved away from victoria.
    I know that there are some shops that rent....not sure which ones. I will ask my wife later on and post back.
    Victoria is a great city to bike in...lots of bike lanes and most bicycle commuters do it year round.

If you're feeling adventurous and bring your own bike to ride into town (about 25km from the airport), the airport parking lot does have a little booth with a bike stand and table, so that you can re-assemble your bike in the parking lot sheltered from the rain. I've never seen any other city have this.

Best of luck and enjoy a beautiful city!
    Leslie