Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-09, 02:02 PM   #1
AdrianL

Bikes: Road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bontager Tire Question

I try my best to support my LBS whenever I can. If I can get something from them that is reasonably close to the price I can get off the internet and it is the same or a comparable product, I get it from them. They do not sell Conti or Specialized tires. They sell Bontager tires along with some other brand which my feeble memory cannot recall right now. From reading several threads on tires here it looks like these are about the most often recommended tires that people are happy with for road tires.

I asked the guys at the LBS what was a comparable tire to the Gator Skins or the 4000 and they recommended the Bontager Race X Lite Hardcase. The Bontager site makes the tire look pretty good.

At $50 per tire I need to ask - does anyone here use this tire - if so - what do you think of it?

Thanks
AdrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 02:09 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd find a shop that sells different tyres.

Sorry but for me- anything that has a Bontrager name on it does not get anywhere near my bikes. It is a standard quality part with nothing extra going for it to say it is better than other basic parts around and they cost more.

I know that some are happy with Bontrager branded parts- but I am afraid that I am not one of them.

And the usual disclaimer when anything like this is stated- This is my opinion and others may differ.

And gatorskins on the net--

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1320

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 05-29-09 at 02:13 PM.
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 02:20 PM   #3
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Totally agree with Stapfam here AdrianL,

The Bontrager name comes from Keith Bontrager (mountain bike innovator originally), and is owned by TREK and used as their name for their in-house products. That doesn't mean they're bad or good, just FYI. Kind of funny marketing, but not unheard of.

So, TREK has their Bontrager tires made by one of the major tire companies, probably in Taiwan (Cheng Shin / Kenda) or China, but it could be Indonesia (IRC). Regardless, they are not nearly the same level of quality that you will find from Continental (Gatorskins are my choice).

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 02:50 PM   #4
AdrianL

Bikes: Road
Thanks a lot guys. I was on the cusp anyway and just the 2 of you pushed me over the edge. I think I will order a couple Conti Gatorskins or 4000's this weekend.
AdrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 03:01 PM   #5
RedC 

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
I live in a small town and our only dealer is Trek so most of us in my group use Bontrager hardcase and one of my friends has nearly 13,000 miles on his so not every one thinks they are bad.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix
RedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 05:20 PM   #6
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
The Bontrager name comes from Keith Bontrager (mountain bike innovator originally), and is owned by TREK and used as their name for their in-house products. That doesn't mean they're bad or good, just FYI. Kind of funny marketing, but not unheard of.
Not funny marketing at all, really. Captive brands are quite common and have been for years. Sears has been doing it with Kenmore, Craftsman and others for decades. GM has (or had and maybe will have again) AC/Delco. Etc.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 05:50 PM   #7
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
I had Bontrager Race Lite's on a Trek 520 and did not have a single flat in over 2,000 miles of use. I sold the bike, but the tires looked nearly new.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 07:35 PM   #8
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
For what it's worth, I have had very good service from the Bontrager Revolt X tires on my mountain bike.

I have Continentals on the Bianchi, and my only gripe is that they are a very tight fit on my Campagnolo Omega rims.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 08:10 PM   #9
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
I am not to sure about the tires but like most other companies Bontrager has different levels of quality on most of thier equipment. They have at least 4 levels of wheels. I have owned a Trek mountain bike, a lemond road bike and now have a lemond cyclocross, all of which are loaded down with Bonrager parts. The only complaint I ever had with any of the parts was the seats were not comfortable, but then again most seats are to my skinny rear. YMMV.
Another thing I recently learned. My favorite LBS sells a variety of tires and I was asking them about some commuting tires. She got out a big catalog that had everything bicycle you could imagine including a huge selection of all different brand tires. She told me all LBS have the same book but some of them just like to sell the "company" brand.
RoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 09:19 PM   #10
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I owned a Trek Madone that had Bontrager components including tires and they worked fine. I liked the ride and performance of the Trek. I purchased a set of Bontrager Race XXX lite carbon clinchers and they are really nice wheels. They seem to be bullet proof and I have raced on them through some very rough pavement conditions at high speed without problems.

I like the Conti 4000s tire. It is one of the smoothest riding tires. The sidewall seems very supple and the rolling resistance is "supposed" to be very low. As I remember, the Bontrager tires were a harsher ride. However, this is very subjective and qualitative impressions. IMHO, the more supple and smoother riding the tire, the less miles and potentially more flats one will get. However, this is a tradeoff that we each make.

Here is a link to an internet site I have used for tires that shows the top brands and pricing. I do not think one can go wrong with any of the tires including Bontrager. http://www.biketiresdirect.com/razz/...s/products.htm
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 05:57 AM   #11
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianL View Post
I try my best to support my LBS whenever I can. If I can get something from them that is reasonably close to the price I can get off the internet and it is the same or a comparable product, I get it from them. They do not sell Conti or Specialized tires. They sell Bontager tires along with some other brand which my feeble memory cannot recall right now. From reading several threads on tires here it looks like these are about the most often recommended tires that people are happy with for road tires.

I asked the guys at the LBS what was a comparable tire to the Gator Skins or the 4000 and they recommended the Bontager Race X Lite Hardcase. The Bontager site makes the tire look pretty good.

At $50 per tire I need to ask - does anyone here use this tire - if so - what do you think of it?

Thanks

I have used these tires for the last two seasons and they have been excellent. After having tried Michelins and Continentals with less than stellar results, Bontrager hardcase tires are the only tire I will have on my bikes, period! No flats in over 6000 miles, and they grip well in the rain. Edit: 50 bucks is a little high, my lbs was 40

Last edited by crazyb; 05-30-09 at 06:18 AM.
crazyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 06:31 AM   #12
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Bontrager parts seem to work reasonably well for Team Astana as they did for Discovery and Postal.

Yes, I know, the parts they use are not likely the same quality as the parts you can buy. But then, the higher level parts that you can buy are not the same quality as the cheap crap that formed stap's opinion either.

Cheng Shin makes many very high quality tires, as do Kenda and IRC.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 06:47 AM   #13
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Bontrager parts seem to work reasonably well for Team Astana as they did for Discovery and Postal.

Yes, I know, the parts they use are not likely the same quality as the parts you can buy. But then, the higher level parts that you can buy are not the same quality as the cheap crap that formed stap's opinion either.

Cheng Shin makes many very high quality tires, as do Kenda and IRC.
After much anticipation, Trek Bicycle Corporation officially announced today that it has entered into a "multiple year" agreement with Johan Bruyneel's Astana team. According to the arrangement, Trek will provide the Astana riders with Madone 6.9 framesets and a healthy selection from the company's Bontrager parts bin, including wheels, TIRES, saddles, handlebars, stems, bar tape, cages, and bottles. "We have a relatively standard agreement with the team," said Trek Road Brand Manager Scott Daubert. "We provide them with bikes; they provide us with race results and bike development and access to the riders. It's very similar to what we had with Discovery and US Postal. It's a partnership that helps us both."
crazyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 06:58 AM   #14
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
The shop near me isn't a huge shop, so doesn't carry lots of inventory or selection either, but he's been able to order whatever I've needed so far, and has gone so far as to come close to some internet sites on pricing. Have you asked if he might order the tires you want?
freeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 07:57 AM   #15
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
...Another thing I recently learned. My favorite LBS sells a variety of tires and I was asking them about some commuting tires. She got out a big catalog that had everything bicycle you could imagine including a huge selection of all different brand tires. She told me all LBS have the same book but some of them just like to sell the "company" brand.
I've had a similar experience. If I want something that my favorite LBS doesn't stock, they'll order it from their regional supply wholesale warehouse. There are very few things they can't get. Where they run into trouble with is the amount of stock they must have on the floor in order to carry Trek. If they carry too much of a competitor's merchandise, they run the risk of losing their Trek products. I understand Specialized does this as well. In fact my favorite LBS stopped carrying both Trek and Specialized (they carry Trek now) because each wanted "X" percent of their stuff on the showroom floor. So, you may be facing a situation where there are other reasons the LBS wants you to buy the Bontrager (most likely because they want to sell the stock that they already have). I'd ask if they would order them. If they say "no" I'd have no problems getting them elsewhere.
Old 06-01-09, 03:37 PM   #16
TomRides

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Devinci Santiago, Fisher Sugar 3+, Bianchi Ocelot
Bontrager tires...

Had to jump in..I just took off a rear Bontrager Race X Lite tire that I got used on a demo set of Bontrager Race X lite wheels. I just put on a barely used Mich. Krylion Carbon on the rear to replace the Bonti which was getting a flat profile and thin in the center.

The next time I buy tires, I will go back and get a set of the Race X lites. I NEVER had a flat in over 1500 miles, and the tires are supple, and grippy, and roll like heck. I used to have the same 'not so good' opinion of Bontager parts, and had removed a bonti crank that came on my Fisher MTB, but I must say that I LOVE the Bontrager wheels (these are the 2008 version with pewter rims/ white spokes) and am missing my Bontrager Race X lite tire on the back...can't say enough good about them!

I also have to add that they are very easy to get on and off my rims which I cannot say about the Krylion's...I like the Krylions, but they are brutal to get off the rim so I'm dreading my first flat!

Good luck.
TomRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 06:44 PM   #17
vja4Him
Biking 4 Life

Bikes: 27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyb View Post
I have used these tires for the last two seasons and they have been excellent. After having tried Michelins and Continentals with less than stellar results, Bontrager hardcase tires are the only tire I will have on my bikes, period! No flats in over 6000 miles, and they grip well in the rain. Edit: 50 bucks is a little high, my lbs was 40
I have Bontrager Hard Case on my mountain bike and Townie. No flats in about three years on the mountain bike, and no flats on the Townie in about 15 months.

I have Swchalbe Marathons on my LHT. No flats yet ....
vja4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 08:13 AM   #18
tom cotter

Bikes:
I haven't had good luck with Bontrager tires. The Bontragers that came with my Trek 520 were horrible. Four flats in as many weeks. Replaced, at the time, with Conti Top Touring 2000. The Continentals have had one flat in about 2000 miles of riding.

I liked the way the Bontragers that came as original equipment on my Lemond Zurich rode and handled. And not one flat in about 1000 miles of riding. Yet, then one tire developed a crack and the other bubbled under full tire pressure. While i'd rate the tires as OK, i think they should have lasted longer. I just replaced them with Gatorskins. I one ride with the new tires so the jury is still out on ride comfort. But i've had good luck with Continental. In addition to the Top touring 2000s i also have an old mountain bike booted with Conti Travlel Contacts. Those tires are going on ten years old, and should have worn out a long time ago. No dry rot, and not one flat in thousands of miles of riding. I'm a satisfied customer!
tom cotter is offline   Reply With Quote