My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished my first metric century

Of this season, that is.

Here's where I would normally launch into a detailed description of the ride, but I'll spare you the gory details. Some highlights are in order, though:

- Planned my ride so that I could see my daughter do the "pack" routine at her first ALSA (llama) show. She did a fantastic job. To fill you in on some details, my daughter is 17 and has Down syndrome. It is really cool to see this 4' 10" kid getting this big ol' llama to do what she needs it to do. Proud papa here in a big way!

- Didn't even really feel like doing the dang ride today because of crummy sleep. Plus rode a HARD 30 miles on Thursday and Friday. The ride was good for my soul.

- Lousy route planning on my part. Last 25 miles was into a strong wind (15+) and included a nasty climb (20% grade). I sorta figured that you don't always get to plan your route or the wind, so what the heck.

- Generally comfortable throughout the ride. Some small problems with right knee, so might tweak saddle position and height just a bit. Mybe cleat position on that side, too.

Next weekend I go for 75 miles. Starting to think that I might actually be able to do that 100 miles at the end of June!

Tony

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like your on your way to being ready for this years century crop.

20% grade - I have never done anything that steep - must be like climbing a wall. I would be surprised if most cars could make it up that.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post

Sounds like your on your way to being ready for this years century crop.

20% grade - I have never done anything that steep - must be like climbing a wall. I would be surprised if most cars could make it up that.
    Well, that's according to my Garmin 305. It IS the steepest hill in the area. I feel like I going to tumble over backward when climbing it.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 305 utilizes the GPS signal to attempt to calculate altitude- it is very inaccurate when you are moving. A barametric pressure altimiter is much more accurate . Most states set a maximum allowable grade at 8% with acceptions in certain cases where the situation forces it - up to 12.5%. This average grade is over 100' length. I never trust my Forerunner for grade - When I want to know grade - I use one of the mapping web sites like mapmyride.com.
    You may want to plot your course on one of these and then look at the elevation profile.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tntyz View Post
    - Planned my ride so that I could see my daughter do the "pack" routine at her first ALSA (llama) show. She did a fantastic job. To fill you in on some details, my daughter is 17 and has Down syndrome. It is really cool to see this 4' 10" kid getting this big ol' llama to do what she needs it to do. Proud papa here in a big way!
    Congrats on the ride and on the llama show!

Kids + animals - great combination.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, "recovered" with a 30 mile ride on Sunday and felt great! Was quite surprised.

Last 4 days of May put on 150+ miles (30, 30, 63, 30) and ended up the month a bit over 550. The 30 milers are getting easier. Now time to plan a 75 mile trip for next weekend.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow tntyz,

20% is brutal. Hope it wasn't for very long! We have one stretch of the Baldy Ski Lifts that's 18% for a mile and half and that always just about kills me (this is after four miles at 12%), and Potrero is pretty brutal at 18% . . .

So good job on that 20% grade! I spent all weekend in the mountains, with over 13,000 feet of climbing Sat. and Sun. combined (125 miles), but nothing near 20%!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Wow tntyz,

20% is brutal. Hope it wasn't for very long! We have one stretch of the Baldy Ski Lifts that's 18% for a mile and half and that always just about kills me (this is after four miles at 12%), and Potrero is pretty brutal at 18% . . .

So good job on that 20% grade! I spent all weekend in the mountains, with over 13,000 feet of climbing Sat. and Sun. combined (125 miles), but nothing near 20%!

Rick / OCRR

Keep in mind that's a short stretch of only a couple hundred yards. There's no way I'm getting the kind of vertical gain you're talking about. Couple of friends are doing the ride across CO for the second time. Elevation issues aside, they have trouble training for the truly l-o-n-g climbs involved.

pedo viejo
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done. Throwing in a 20% grade and a headwind has got to be worth another 5-10 miles' extra credit.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done on the metric- but Just in case you are doing the 75 miler as training for a 100miler- I would not bother. Save it for the 100miler.

When I get back into it- I train for the longer rides by doing 30milers. One I do at a fast pace- faster than I would normally do a 30 miler in- and the other route takes in lots of varying hills. Some short and steep- some long and drawn out and some are just baskets.

When I can do the hilly route at the same pace as I would normally do a flattish ride at- Then I am ready for the 100 miler.

Reason for this is that I am limited on time. I do a 50 to 60 miler at the weekends and do the shorter rides in the evenings. I find that getting out and pushing myself does more than just pounding out the miles
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Well done on the metric- but Just in case you are doing the 75 miler as training for a 100miler- I would not bother. Save it for the 100miler.

When I get back into it- I train for the longer rides by doing 30milers. One I do at a fast pace- faster than I would normally do a 30 miler in- and the other route takes in lots of varying hills. Some short and steep- some long and drawn out and some are just baskets.

When I can do the hilly route at the same pace as I would normally do a flattish ride at- Then I am ready for the 100 miler.

Reason for this is that I am limited on time. I do a 50 to 60 miler at the weekends and do the shorter rides in the evenings. I find that getting out and pushing myself does more than just pounding out the miles
    The 75 is mainly a confidence-booster. I don't have the base miles in that some of you do . . .