User Tag List

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Beware on your morph

Yesterday, I returned from a very rough ride (traprock, gravel) only to find that the hose on my Topeak Morph was missing the head. It would appear that the vibration knocked it out of its clip and the head unscrewed itself. I didn't even know that it did that it could do that.

From now on, I will be checking for tightness more often.

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the third time I've see reference to this happening to the Topeak Morph pump in the past week. I was all set to go by my LBS and get the Morph Road pump next week but now I have to ask - is this very common for this pump to come apart while you are riding?

Thanks

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was missing that little piece that fits into the head. Other than that I've had no problems at all. I guess you just have to check everything on the bike when going over it. I usually do that when I'm washing it. Thanks for the tip though.
    George

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a water bottle boos side mount that lets me tuck my morph in under the water bottle. It came with a strap. I also added a bit of old-style cloth tape to it really snaps in. I don't think it will ever just fall out.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggeston:

Take an old tube and cut a couple of 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices (think wide rubber bands) out of it from which to fashion a couple of rubber bands. Put one on the pump to keep the hose in place and another to keep the valve head clean.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I understand your post correctly, the same has happened to me, twice.

The small cap over the end of the head has unscrewed and dropped off. This happened to me over Memorial Day weekend. I had a spare hose/head assembly and took the cap and put it on my pump. During yesterday's ride, I noticed that the replacement cap was missing.

I like the pump, and it works well, but I've got to get a new cap and figure out how to keep it in place.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go to Topeak's web site they will probably send you some replacement parts for your pump for free.

Don't ask how I know this.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    If I understand your post correctly, the same has happened to me, twice.

The small cap over the end of the head has unscrewed and dropped off. This happened to me over Memorial Day weekend. I had a spare hose/head assembly and took the cap and put it on my pump. During yesterday's ride, I noticed that the replacement cap was missing.

I like the pump, and it works well, but I've got to get a new cap and figure out how to keep it in place.
    I lost the entire head assembly at the threaded union just below your picture bottom. I've had the pump for quite a while, I've just never checked the hose joints for tightness. There is a replacement part, the TRK-RP02. It contains the entire hose and head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order to pull my head out to the end of the hose, I have to loosen the plastic nut on the end of the head, then tighten it back up. If I don't pull the head out to the end where it hits the O-ring, the pump head can shoot out when I pump and off the end of the hose. Tightening the nut on the hose end of the head clamps down on the O-ring and holds the head on the hose.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It has happened a couple times. While out on the road, I run into a cyclist who has a flat tire. And I had to reverse the Presta to Shrader.Maybe , one might not completely tighten head after the switch.
    Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living

^ Since January 1, 2012