Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-09, 11:09 AM   #1
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Breakfast Ride

Cranky's thread about his family ride reminded me that I haven't done a breakfast ride in quite a long time. This morning Mrs. Grouch had a conflicting activity so I decided to do one by myself.

I left at about 7:15 and rode roughly 18 miles, mostly on the KATY Trail. No photo, just imagine a long tunnel through trees arching over your head. If you look up "serene" in the dictionary, it might have a photo of the KATY trail that was taken at about 7:30 on a sunny morning.

I don't know the actual name of the breakfast place. The locals refer to it as "the biker bar". By the time that I left there were 6 Harleys parked out front. I didn't know Harley riders could get up that early. Breakfast was typical small town cafe fare - eggs; bacon, ham or sausage; hash browns or cottage fried potatoes; and toast. Nothing to write home about, nothing to complain about unless you're a grits eater. No grits - Defiance, Missouri is north of the grits line.

Back home before 11:00. All-in-all a good experience. Mrs. Grouch says she wants to go with me next week.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 03:08 PM   #2
dendawg

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did a similar ride this morning. Met with a group from my club that was doing a 50 miler. Broke off from them after about 12 miles and headed for a little snack bar along the river where I grabbed and egg sandwich before heading home and then work. 25 miles altogether on a beautiful spring morning. So nice I even walked to work!
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 04:15 AM   #3
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Maybe the Harley riders were still up from the night before, no wait...that was the old days. Harley riders are all professional business men now aren't they.

Sounds like a great breakfast ride and I imagine you're anxious to share the experience with your wife.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 04:24 AM   #4
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
Maybe the Harley riders were still up from the night before, no wait...that was the old days. Harley riders are all professional business men now aren't they.
Actually they look like they'd be good candidates for 50+.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 05:23 PM   #5
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp
My wife and I do a breakfast ride from Capitol Hill in DC to Bethesda MD about once a week. We eat at the Original Pancake House. It is nice knowing you will burn off the excess calories.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote