tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will summer ever come?

We have had a cool and windy spring here in Western NY State. Rain too, but the cold and wind predominate. I'm well behind my goals for the season to date simply because the riding has been so unpleasant.

While I'd rather have lounged on the couch today, I had no choice but to go out for a metric century, because I was signed-up as the ride leader for the club's Ten Parks Tour ride, which goes through ten city, town and county parks and combines urban, suburban and rural riding.

Of 500 club members, only a dozen started, probably because it was 43°F at the start, and west winds were blowing relentlessly in the 20s and gusting to the 30s.

Anyway, here's a shot of yrs trly in a baselayer, jersey and jacket on top, windfront gloves, windfront tights and booties (Booties!) on a sunny May 31st afternoon. Taken at our bonus 11th park, the Lower Falls Park down in the Genesee River gorge, about 55 miles into the ride.

Yes, it was windy down there too. Look at the spray on the railing.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much the same here. May 31, and I was relieved to find a fleece headband at the bottom of my bag. Despite riding fast (for me) I was chilled when I got home, and needed the sort of superlong shower that I usually save for February or March.

There is no justice in this world.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. 500 club members and only 12 showed up?

43 degrees, rain and wind? I would have been among the other 488. Sorry.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes, that's pretty nasty! I had to double-check the posting date, just to make sure this wasn't some old thread that got resurrected.

I'm staying here in Wisconsin where the weather at least got above 60 today.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode at 3:30 today - after the front went through. I missed the rain but the wind was ugly. 20 mph and chilly. I wore the bib knickers and arm warmers. There were whitecaps on the Mohawk and in the gorge where the wind whips around the ridges I was in a tuck in low gear doing only 10 - I can't say what the wind speed was but I had to focus on keeping the bike going in a straight line.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    summer? ugh. my porch thermometer read 101 today. this is Hot'lanta of course. Yesterday it was hitting 90 or so. Humigity was 95% this morning don't think it was dry as the Weather guys said. be grateful for cooler temperatures.

it's 7:20 pm Sun is still fairly high in the sky and temperature is... (checking Weather Bug for my firestation nearby) 84 deg, 39% humigity (they lie) 2 mph wind from NW.

I'll take it a tad cooler thanks.

oh and nice bike and getup. looked comfy actually.
    Last edited by bikegeek57; 05-31-09 at 05:25 PM. Reason: compliment

Road-Geek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The temp was in the 50's for our group ride in Bangor Maine, which is significantly warmer than it has been so far this season. I too am dreaming of warmer weather. I have yet to ride without wearing multiple layers this year.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    June 1st and 39 degrees when I left for work this morning. A little further west they had frost warnings!
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    June 1st and 42F when I rode in at 4:00am. The only living creatures I encountered were two skunks, one in my driveway and one scurrying across the road in front of me.

The weather guy says two more weeks of below average temps. I just ride a little slower to help reduce the wind chill.

No rides for me this past weekend due to family visiting. We did watch the Air Show, one day from the beach and the next day from our back yard. My daughters are all settling back into their respective summer residences etc. so I see more ride time for me in the near future....unless the OverTime kicks in at work.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday it was low 60's when we started (Angeles Crest - Red Box), then heated up to the mid 70's at Grassey Hollow, but never got much above that. It got cooler as we climbed, a few drops of rain over Dawson Saddle, then warming a bit as we descended past Newcomb's and into Red Box again. So 80 miles and 9,000 ft. of climbing for Sat.

Sunday was more relaxed on Glendora Mountain Road to Glendora Ridge Road to Mt. Baldy Village. Overcast in Glendora, then we hit a cold cloud/fog a bit below 3,000 feet elevation, got soaked by the fog, then popped out into bright (and warm!) sunshine at just over 4,000 feet. In and out of the fog as the ridge lost and gained elevation, then from 14 mi. on, beautiful sunshine.

Of course we could still see the top of the clouds from above once we were above the ridge, looking like a fluffy white blanket over the whole valley. Great breakfast at The Village and a fun descent back into (the overcast) Glendora. Sunday was 44 miles and only 5,200 total elevation gain.

Of course, we're about as far as we can get (other than HI) from the OP in upstate NY, so this may account for some of the temperature difference!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid we here in Austin, Texas are in somewhat the same pickle as bikegeek57. Supposed to be in the 90's today (as it was all weekend) with nary a chance of rain. The Borneo-like humidity hasn't set in for the long haul yet, but its just a matter of time.
    Around here during the summer you ride early in the day, you ride late in the day, or you wonder why that "I smell pork frying" smell is coming from beneath your helmet.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in the San Francisco Bay area I'm almost embarassed at the good weather we have most of our 365 days. Heck, a cold winter day is in the 40's with an occasional early morning around freezing (no wind/radiational cooling only). You cold/inclement weather cyclists are the postmen of the sports world (nether rain nor....). I have vowed to equip my wife and I with better winter gear to we can truly ride year around.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been cool in Wisconsin, but I've been loving it. Two 80 degree highs and 11 days where the high didn't get above 64.

15 days where the low was below 50. Only 2 days where the low was above 56.

Last 7 days has seen an average high of 68, low of 49, with a bit of rain on 3 days. I love this type of weather.

10-day forecast has no highs above 75.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bundled up this am in Boston suburbs (high 30s), but will strip down for the 70 degree ride home

summer is comin' ...!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something has happened over here and summer has arrived. Started towards the end of last week with day time temps getting above 60 and staying there. Over the weekend it was up into the 70's and today just touched 80.

Don't worry though- midweek and it gets back to normal with the North wind bringing the high 50's back so normal service will be resumed.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Buffalo, 90 miles west of Rochester, and it's 65 outside right now.

The weather here isn't that different from Rochester's weather. We've had a lot of nice Spring days. it was 70-80 the entire Memorial Day weekend.

I've been out almost every day.

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    First big sign of Summer for us this evening........

Tornado warnings.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TSL & Crankster - Vindication!!
    Tonight was one of those fantastic Upstate nights - not too hot, not too cold, low humidity and a light breeze, not to mention a beautiful sky. It's night's like this that make me realize why I left the south. Now if I can only get used to the taxes

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    TSL & Crankster - Vindication!!
    Tonight was one of those fantastic Upstate nights - not too hot, not too cold, low humidity and a light breeze, not to mention a beautiful sky. It's night's like this that make me realize why I left the south. Now if I can only get used to the taxes
    Here the breeze, light as it was, was from the NNE--right off the lake. The current surface water temperature is 41.3°F. That refrigerates the breeze nicely.

That's also my rebuttal to rideabike's report of 70s and 80s 100 miles to our west. On those days, we had winds off the lake, which drops the temps considerably. Yes, as near as 20 miles south of the lake, those were nice days. Not so here in R-Town, where the local weather is very local.

So while it was nice today anywhere you could get sun and stay out of the breeze, it was still a kneewarmers and armwarmers day this afternoon, despite temps in the lower 60s. My ride to work alternates south and east. On southbound roads (sunny on my front and a tailwind), I got sweaty. On eastbound ones (crosswind and sun to my side), I froze. Similarly, coming home I froze on northbound roads, and warmed up on westbound ones.

BTW, pics and ride report from Sunday are up at http://www.brucew.com/blog/2009/06/01/621

As for taxes, I remember back in the early 60s when for a few years DMV issued only one plate, for the rear of the car. One of the most popular aftermarket front plates said, "New York, Land of Taxes".

My grandfather used to do an almost origami thing with dollar bills. They'd come out looking the same, but about three-quarters size. He called them "Rockefeller Dollars", after then Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller.

In other words, the high taxes in New York State are old news. Over 50 years of complaining hasn't changed a thing. Except the population…
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to believe but its been in the 80's here in Pugetropolis this week. I'm lovin the sunshine not a trace of S.A.D. and the corn is up.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what the high was today, but the last few days have been in the mid 90s. 93 and 94 I think. 7:48 pm and I have 79. I think summer could be here.
    Join the fight to stop Diabetes! You can help improve the lives of those living with this disease!Sponsor me in the 2012 Tour de Cure in Redmond Washington!

http://main.diabetes.org/goto/ericsalinas

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys get the lake effect - we are too far east for that.

Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    the high taxes in New York State are old news. Over 50 years of complaining hasn't changed a thing. Except the population…
    After reading a bunch of books on NY History and Politics it's not 50 years of bad government, it's more like 150 years - I remember a few pages in McCullough's book "The Great Bridge" which delt with the building of the capital building in Albany (the book being about building the Brooklyn Bridge). It's sestemic, it will never change.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summer has not yet arrived in Georgia. It has been in the mid to upper 80s all week with reasonable humidity. Nothing at all like the oppressive heat we'll have when summer arrives.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in California there's been a run on suntan lotion.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Michigan we're running 10F below normal, which is about what we've been ever since last fall. We are also running at near-record rainfall totals. On the bright side, today we get a break from the rain and this evening will be the maiden voyage of my 'new' Baron - a warranty-replacement frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast