Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why They Call Them "Road Bikes"! - pics

In preparation for a five-day tour later this month, I did my first organized road tour last weekend. It was just a two-day event, the "Bike and Brew/Winery Tour", of about 55 miles each day. There were sixty registered participants, with very few below 50. Beautiful weather, mostly tailwinds, smooth, little-used roads, nice scenery... wow, what fun! Those of you who think of Nebraska as flat, think again... the eastern part of the state is pretty hilly. A Garmin user reported 2600 feet of climbing after day one and we returned by the same route. There were times when a tripple would have been a nice luxury!

I feel pretty good about it.

Link to full picture set is: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/572736880rHrFLa
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great time, thanks for sharing the report and pictures. I even spotted a couple of recumbents mixed in here and there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was quite a diversity of bikes there... yes, several recumbants and at least one tandem recumbent. Also probably five tandems that seemed like pretty high-end stuff to me. And one very sexy Serotta clicking away on fancy Mavics too. It is hard to manage one's own ride and still take enough pics to capture the event's flavor and the countryside as well. We do what we can...

My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking area for a ride. Thanx for the pix. Looks like the weather was favorable. We've finally seen some sun as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a wonderful ride. Nebraska sure is perfect cycling country. I wonder who had the first bike in Nebraska?

Cheers,
    Bill

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, where's the snow? it's not even summer yet!

:-)

looks like fun!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billmagee View Post
    Looks like a wonderful ride. Nebraska sure is perfect cycling country. I wonder who had the first bike in Nebraska?

Cheers,
    Bill
    Thanks Bill... I am not a native of the state, so I'm not overly partisan about it. But I must say that there are a few things to like about this place. One of them is lots of roads combined with few people and cars. And, as I said, the eastern part of the state is far from flat and boring. I have also enjoyed your pics of Taiwan!

There was a Saturday night "ice cream emergency" search, and we managed to find an open Subway across from the courthouse in Pawnee City (pop. less than 500) that had Goodrich Ice Cream (a local dairy brand). With some new recumbent-riding friends, we had some fun.

My Cycling Blogspot