User Tag List

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bike maintenance-repair videos

Just wondering if there are any bike maintenance and repair videos out there that are recommended for a pure beginner? I've ordered some guitar playing videos and find most of them are worthless, but I've ordered some recording engineering videos that sucked and some that were worth their weight in gold! So need a "Hold my hand and walk me through step by step" video(s) if any exist.

Thanks all,
    Dan'o :**

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the search function, you despicable scum.

That's just a joke, but you would have gotten that answer at the roadie forum, and they would have been just a little right. Not the despicable part.

I went over to YouTube and typed in "Fixing a rear derailleur" and it pulled up a few dozen videos, many of which looked helpful. So I'd try You Tube.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post

That's just a joke, but you would have gotten that answer at the roadie forum, and they would have been just a little right. Not the despicable part.
    Do ya think those roadies might be civil if I went there and asked if anyone knew where I could find some videos to help me maintain my recumbent bicycle?

(No offense to any of the older folks in this forum who ride road racing-type bikes.)
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan'o

What style of guitar are you interested in? If it's acoustic fingerpicking, you really can't beat Stefan Grossman, plus he was a member of the Fugs, and one of the "Blues Mafia" Check out the Guitar Workshop Series I've had good success with Grossman's beginners' stuff, and a little luck with Ernie Hawkins' Willie McTell DVD.

As for Bicycle mechanic video's, I've used the Youtube stuff to supplement Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance and Park's Big Blue Book.
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoste View Post
    Dan'o

What style of guitar are you interested in? If it's acoustic fingerpicking, you really can't beat Stefan Grossman, plus he was a member of the Fugs, and one of the "Blues Mafia" Check out the Guitar Workshop Series I've had good success with Grossman's beginners' stuff, and a little luck with Ernie Hawkins' Willie McTell DVD.

As for Bicycle mechanic video's, I've used the Youtube stuff to supplement Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance and Park's Big Blue Book.
    Did the Guitar Workshop for awhile and it was OK. Learned a bit and then advanced on. I'll look at the others too.

I've got the Zinn book, so looking for vid's that will supplement that, but will check out You Tube.

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went over to YouTube and typed in "Fixing a rear derailleur" and it pulled up a few dozen videos, many of which looked helpful. So I'd try You Tube.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but the two ton truck will turn your wheels into tacos!!!

I figured there's probably tons of vid's out there, and ton's of opinions, but I'm looking for something specific, a vid for a beginner that walks you through everything. I've seen beginner vid's that sucked and forgot what it was like to be a beginner, so that's why I'm asking specifically instead of trying to filter through the opinions of the other posts.

Figured that for an intelligent person with knowledge it would be a simple answer. For some I guess it's not!

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Youtube for a few things and found some very good videos.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIPCHIP View Post
    Figured that for an intelligent person with knowledge it would be a simple answer. For some I guess it's not!
    I ressemble that statement. Mea culpa, it's a point well taken.

I've posed one techy type question on three different subforums here and each time have received lots of helpful recommendations to "use the search feature, stupid". It's a pet peeve of mine. I asked the question here and the moderators moved it to Foo, which was really weird since it had to do with computers and route mapping. Oh well.

But I would check out YouTube for stuff. You can also use the search function to find the "lamest MTB video evar". I'm kind of proud of it.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it have to be a video? The Park Tool website and also Sheldon Brown have helped me immensely...
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ressemble that statement. Mea culpa, it's a point well taken.

I've posed one techy type question on three different subforums here and each time have received lots of helpful recommendations to "use the search feature, stupid". It's a pet peeve of mine. I asked the question here and the moderators moved it to Foo, which was really weird since it had to do with computers and route mapping. Oh well.

But I would check out YouTube for stuff. You can also use the search function to find the "lamest MTB video evar". I'm kind of proud of it.
    Don't ya just hate it when you ask folks for help and they offer a no help answer?
    I figured you and I were just teasing each other, like normal.
    You've helped in the past, and I'm sure you'll help in the future.
    :**

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    Does it have to be a video? The Park Tool website and also Sheldon Brown have helped me immensely...
    Just found out about the Park Tool website yesterday, same with Sheldon Brown (just got my issue of RBA yesterday!!!). I'll check them out too.
    Thanks,

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Do ya think those roadies might be civil if I went there and asked if anyone knew where I could find some videos to help me maintain my recumbent bicycle?

(No offense to any of the older folks in this forum who ride road racing-type bikes.)
    Just be sure that you don't open your question with "while riding my recumbent and blowing by a roadie dressed in full team kit, I noticed a noise coming from my rear...."
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the repair videos that I have found on the net are pretty much aimed at basic levels of understanding. I don't think there is much point in making a bike repair video for an expert mechanic.

I have always been able to find a lot of information by searching at Google. I have rarely found what I was seeking by searching Bike Forums. The search function is just not very good imho.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try also:

eHow.com
    youtube.com

I learned how to wrap bar tape on youtube. yes I actually watched how to do that
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    try also:

eHow.com
    youtube.com

I learned how to wrap bar tape on youtube. yes I actually watched how to do that
    Never heard of eHow. Have to check them out.
    Thanks,

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set up a video camera in my garage, and am filming myself every time I work on my bike. I plan to make a fortune from "how not to" videos. I need to find out how to bleep out all of my "color commentary"

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I set up a video camera in my garage, and am filming myself every time I work on my bike. I plan to make a fortune from "how not to" videos. I need to find out how to bleep out all of my "color commentary"
    That's easy. Next time you're video taping and you feel a "Bleep" moment coming on, just take a drink of beer! By the end of the video you should have the bike fixed, nobody will be able to understand the words that be comin out of your mouth, and all the blood will distract them from the profanity anyway!

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Just be sure that you don't open your question with "while riding my recumbent and blowing by a roadie dressed in full team kit, I noticed a noise coming from my rear...."
    While riding my recumbent dressed in my most comfortable overalls and converse all-stars, my beard flapping in the breeze, and blowing by a roadie dressed in full team kit, I marveled at how comfortable the ride was with the Big Apples deflated to 20/30 psi Front/Rear but wondered if there are any videos that would show me how to put some larger-diameter tires on my 'bent.......................
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer