Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-09, 06:29 PM   #1
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clunk - what was that?

The other day - when riding the old Puch home from work I heard a clunk in the spokes of the front wheel. I thought I must have picked up a rock and thrown it into the spokes. I just rode home. Then in the morning I started riding into work. I got about a third of the way - where I have to cross a road (my commute is mostly on a bike path). Now I hit the brakes but the bike was slow to stop. Hmmm - thats strange. I continued on. Had do hit the breaks again but this time harder, the bike hardly seemed to stop and the front brake handle moved quite a bit. I looked down and there was only one shoe on the front brakes
The shoe must have fallen off the other day. I completed my ride to work and then back home that evening - I just took it slow. I guess it pays to make sure every thing is tight from time to time, but this is the first time anything like this has happened.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 06:44 PM   #2
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad you found out about the brake problem in a relatively easy way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 06:52 PM   #3
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
I was riding home up a slight hill on a wooded road and I heard something plastic bang against my bike and on the road. I stopped and looked at my bike but didn't see anything missing. And I did not find anything on the road. I continued riding with no problems.

One time bouncing over some RR tracks my light popped off my handlebars. Another time going over some RR tracks my panniers came off. One time I heard some rattling and a bolt had come off my rear rack.

I do check my spokes and tires every other day.
Old 06-03-09, 07:22 PM   #4
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
.........I looked down and there was only one shoe on the front brakes
The shoe must have fallen off the other day. I completed my ride to work and then back home that evening - I just took it slow. I guess it pays to make sure every thing is tight from time to time, but this is the first time anything like this has happened.
Ooo, tough brake!!

Glad you got through this adventure safely.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 07:01 PM   #5
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Whethere you call it maintanence or just checking things over, ya gotta do it....although I have to admit I am not real good at it either.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 03:48 AM   #6
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Several of the trails in my area have undergone "inexpensive" repair this season. In those areas that get wet and muddy, they have carted in truckloads of trap rock to dump on the trail. This is the 1" variety and typically will take about a year to be packed by traffic down into the mud to make a more stable foundation. For the time it is on the surface however it makes for an "interesting" ride. So far this year, I have had a pump come apart, I have shed water bottles and a water bottle bracket. I have even had a front skewer come loose. Some of these rides provide almost as big an upper body workout as the legs. Everything on the bike has to be checked before any rides.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 06:28 AM   #7
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0
lesson learned. Bike Check BEFORE you ride.
bikegeek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 01:56 PM   #8
The Smokester

Bikes:
I heard a clink one time shortly after building up a bike. Stopped to check what it was and, seeing nothing, concluded it was just something I ran over on the road. A little while later when trying to shift the front deraileure, it jammed up hard. Turned out that a mis-installed shim on the tube clamp had come out. Probably never would have found it through visual inspection.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote