User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clunk - what was that?

The other day - when riding the old Puch home from work I heard a clunk in the spokes of the front wheel. I thought I must have picked up a rock and thrown it into the spokes. I just rode home. Then in the morning I started riding into work. I got about a third of the way - where I have to cross a road (my commute is mostly on a bike path). Now I hit the brakes but the bike was slow to stop. Hmmm - thats strange. I continued on. Had do hit the breaks again but this time harder, the bike hardly seemed to stop and the front brake handle moved quite a bit. I looked down and there was only one shoe on the front brakes
    The shoe must have fallen off the other day. I completed my ride to work and then back home that evening - I just took it slow. I guess it pays to make sure every thing is tight from time to time, but this is the first time anything like this has happened.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you found out about the brake problem in a relatively easy way.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding home up a slight hill on a wooded road and I heard something plastic bang against my bike and on the road. I stopped and looked at my bike but didn't see anything missing. And I did not find anything on the road. I continued riding with no problems.

One time bouncing over some RR tracks my light popped off my handlebars. Another time going over some RR tracks my panniers came off. One time I heard some rattling and a bolt had come off my rear rack.

I do check my spokes and tires every other day.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    .........I looked down and there was only one shoe on the front brakes
    The shoe must have fallen off the other day. I completed my ride to work and then back home that evening - I just took it slow. I guess it pays to make sure every thing is tight from time to time, but this is the first time anything like this has happened.
    Ooo, tough brake!!

Glad you got through this adventure safely.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whethere you call it maintanence or just checking things over, ya gotta do it....although I have to admit I am not real good at it either.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Several of the trails in my area have undergone "inexpensive" repair this season. In those areas that get wet and muddy, they have carted in truckloads of trap rock to dump on the trail. This is the 1" variety and typically will take about a year to be packed by traffic down into the mud to make a more stable foundation. For the time it is on the surface however it makes for an "interesting" ride. So far this year, I have had a pump come apart, I have shed water bottles and a water bottle bracket. I have even had a front skewer come loose. Some of these rides provide almost as big an upper body workout as the legs. Everything on the bike has to be checked before any rides.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lesson learned. Bike Check BEFORE you ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard a clink one time shortly after building up a bike. Stopped to check what it was and, seeing nothing, concluded it was just something I ran over on the road. A little while later when trying to shift the front deraileure, it jammed up hard. Turned out that a mis-installed shim on the tube clamp had come out. Probably never would have found it through visual inspection.