Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do Suspension and Fenders Mix?

I'm looking to buy a Realm Province for my 14 y.o. daughter. Practical girl that she is, she wants fenders so she can ride in all weather. Will a front fender work with a suspension fork? It looks to me like it would, but the bike guy at Dick's Sporting Goods says it won't.

Thanks in Advance,
    Kevin S.
    "Stay vertical, Fred."
    - Frank Krygowski
    http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetySkills/index.html

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used this SKS front Fender on my Trek and then my KHS Full Sus this winter. And this SKS rear fender.
    They worked great! Did a lot of ridin in the mud and wet, for rides well over 2 to 3 hrs; still got wet, but didn;t have that awful draining down into the butt area. If you don;t have fenders then your back and butt do that job. These worked well, long rides, no problemo.
    Golden rose, the color of the dream I had
    Not too long ago
    A misty blue and the lillac too
    A never to grow old

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MTB style fenders mount with an expanding plug up inside the steering tube at the base of the fork crown. This puts the fender above the uppermost position that the front tire can get to. Picture a dirt bike (motorcycle). Because they are so high, they provide less protection for your lower legs/feet. There is another sort of MTB fender called a barging board that mounts usually with ty wraps to the bottom of the down tube on the frame. This keeps the splash off your lower extremities. Take a look at a couple of the MTB sites on the internet like Price Point or Jensen USA to get an idea of what I mean.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you should get her a bike without suspension.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Maybe you should get her a bike without suspension.
    Concur. If she rides mainly on the road, a suspension makes the bike heavier and less responsive on corners. I frequently use my old school no-suspension mountain bike for commuting and general transportation, tasks for which it is eminently well-suited.

Now I need to get a pair of mudguards for it ...
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
    I'm looking to buy a Realm Province for my 14 y.o. daughter. Practical girl that she is, she wants fenders so she can ride in all weather. Will a front fender work with a suspension fork? It looks to me like it would, but the bike guy at Dick's Sporting Goods says it won't.

Thanks in Advance,
    Kevin S.
    Depends on the amount of travel as to what is required. Most MTB's just use a Fender that fixes to the downtube- as in the pic of the Bianchi. Not very effective but does keep a certain amount away from the rider. BUT for the ultimate- the one as fitted to the Tandem works superbly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the ideas. We would prefer non-suspension, but our budget is about $200 and that leaves us firmly in the suspension bike market.
    Even moderately priced road bikes and hybrids jump up in price to $350, $400 and more. Looking used would give us more options, but I have very limited knowledge for buying a used bike. I'm interested in recommendations.

Kevin S.
    "Stay vertical, Fred."
    - Frank Krygowski

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
    Thank you all for the ideas. We would prefer non-suspension, but our budget is about $200 and that leaves us firmly in the suspension bike market.
    Even moderately priced road bikes and hybrids jump up in price to $350, $400 and more. Looking used would give us more options, but I have very limited knowledge for buying a used bike. I'm interested in recommendations.
    Kevin S.
    Kevin, if you want some recommendations, then it would be worthwhile to know a little about who the bike is for. Things like age (14- see that), size, riding experience, most likely type of riding to be done ...
    We could recommend things we personally hold dear or we can be objective based on provided info and maybe come up with some good options which might fit the need.
    $200 - you, of course have the safety gear already figured out, or would this also include having to buy stuff like a helmet, lights, lock, seat pac and emergency gear, etc? These are as important as the bike.
    Budgets can always be met, but often the lower the budget the more extended the time needed to get some decent stuff which fits the bill.
    If you have to make quick decisions on a very limited budget, then you'll likely have to make a lot of compromises. Some of which will require further funding soon enough down the road.
    'Suspension' isn't a bad thing, and may actually provide some unexpected benefits. Getting a nice condition used bike for well under $200 is not that difficult. And since Craigslist is quite ubiquitous, it should be quite doable in your area as well.
    Anyway, now that you've opened it up to more than just 'fenders', its up to you to define how useful we can be as opposed to how much bandwidth chatter we send out.
    Golden rose, the color of the dream I had
    Not too long ago
    A misty blue and the lillac too
    A never to grow old

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclezen,
    Thank you. Sometimes the problem is defining the problem too narrowly

I'll post a broader request later today -- no work access.

Kevin S.
    "Stay vertical, Fred."
    - Frank Krygowski

Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES! But you need to use a pretty rugged Blender...
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo double compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Concur. If she rides mainly on the road, a suspension makes the bike heavier and less responsive on corners.
    Agree with John - if the bike is to be used primarily on the roads, the suspension fork does no good, and some bad - so you don't want suspension. If the bike is to be used on trails, where the suspension will bring value, then you don't want fenders.

I see the question something like asking if you can mount a trailer hitch on a ferrari - the answer is that technically you probably could, but the question is wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post

YES! But you need to use a pretty rugged Blender...
    Hmmm, an idea for "Will it blend?"
    http://www.willitblend.com/

Kevin S.
    "Stay vertical, Fred."
    - Frank Krygowski

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerwald View Post
    Agree with John - if the bike is to be used primarily on the roads, the suspension fork does no good, and some bad - so you don't want suspension. If the bike is to be used on trails, where the suspension will bring value, then you don't want fenders.

I see the question something like asking if you can mount a trailer hitch on a ferrari - the answer is that technically you probably could, but the question is wrong.
    We bought a bike w/o suspension. Older daughter works at a sporting goods store that has a family discount evening each year. That brought the price of a Diamondback Clarity within our reach. The birthday girl kicked in almost half the cost to get this particular bike. Won't be much for trails, but she *loves* it on the road -- and I'm going to have to get in better shape to stay ahead of her.

Thank you for the helpful comments.

Kevin S.
    "Stay vertical, Fred."
    - Frank Krygowski