Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Bike n+once again

In planning for a cross country ride next May I added another member to my ever growing stable of bikes. My LBS gave me a great deal on top of the current Specialized $1200 rebate and the bottom line was lower than I could walk away from. I wanted a bike that had a bit longer wheelbase and more relaxed geometry than my current bikes for the long days on a sag supported tour. So here it is, a Sworks Roubaix.

I've since adjusted the hoods lower and trimmed the levers closer. It rides great. Yes that's the Dura Ace Di2 electric group. I went in thinking about SRAM Red but for the same price came out with Di2. So it was worth the try I guess. So far, it is awesome. I know most on this forum are not into bike tech but it's really pretty neat.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow, what a beautiful bike. I like the Specialized bikes anyhow and it sounds like you made out OK.
    George

My Bikes
    Giant/Cervelo S2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice!!!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Yes that's the Dura Ace Di2 electric group. I went in thinking about SRAM Red but for the same price came out with Di2. So it was worth the try I guess. So far, it is awesome.
    Thanks for posting, great bike! Would love to know more about the Di2 as you get more experience with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Just a couple quick notes about Di2. It shifts when you press the button. Sounds silly but it will shift under any circumstance. Just because it can doesn't mean you should. Shifting at the wrong time at high load can break a chain or bend rings and cogs.

Getting used to the position of the shift buttons takes time. On my first ride I bet I shifted the wrong way a couple dozen times. Both buttons are located where the single STI paddle used to be. They do have different shapes and textures but they are close to one another. Eventually the issue with incorrect shifting will go away as I get used to those positions.

Battery life seems great so far. I only have 100 miles on it right now but it was charged just once in the shop many weeks ago and still shows full. I'll put another 150 miles on it this weekend and see how it goes.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a sweet looking bike. One of the reasons that I purchased my Roubaix Expert was that it looked fast while sitting still. I was hoping that look would carry over when I was am riding. Please keep us informed on how the electric shifting works out. Eventually the technology will trickle down to a level most of us can afford. Do you need to plug the bike in to a charger?
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In planning for a cross country ride next May I added another member to my ever growing stable of bikes. My LBS gave me a great deal on top of the current Specialized $1200 rebate and the bottom line was lower than I could walk away from. I wanted a bike that had a bit longer wheelbase and more relaxed geometry than my current bikes for the long days on a sag supported tour. So here it is, a Sworks Roubaix.

I've since adjusted the hoods lower and trimmed the levers closer. It rides great. Yes that's the Dura Ace Di2 electric group.
    I went in thinking about SRAM Red but for the same price came out with Di2. So it was worth the try I guess. So far, it is awesome. I know most on this forum are not into bike tech but it's really pretty neat.
    Very nice and a man cannot have too many bikes. BTW, I love bike tech and would get the Di2 in a heartbeat if I got another bike or needed replacement equipment. I got a Quarq power meter for my wife's TT bike and it is very cool - SRAM 900 crank, ceramic bearings in bottom bracket 53/39 set up. We are in the early phases of testing and etc. As soon as Quarq comes out with a compact double, I am going to get one for her road bike and may upgrade the gruppo to Di2. Keep the techie reports coming. Thanks for posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    That is a sweet looking bike. One of the reasons that I purchased my Roubaix Expert was that it looked fast while sitting still. I was hoping that look would carry over when I was am riding. Please keep us informed on how the electric shifting works out. Eventually the technology will trickle down to a level most of us can afford. Do you need to plug the bike in to a charger?
    The battery is removed from its cradle/dock on the bike and plugged into a charger. The battery is not much bigger than a DSLR camera battery.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    . Eventually the technology will trickle down to a level most of us can afford.
    +1

I agree 100%. I don't follow Shimano that closely, but you got to imagine an "Ultegra-level" group is not more than a couple of years away.

I am happy there are "early adopters" out there helping to drive this kind of innovation. (Though I still have two bikes with downtube shifters...)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a mechanical problem during your trip? The LBS probably won't have spare parts.

I saw di2 at a bike show. It shifts the front as easily as the rear, and automatically trims the front as the back is shifted. When the price comes down, it'll be great for triple chainrings and tandems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
    What about a mechanical problem during your trip? The LBS probably won't have spare parts.

I saw di2 at a bike show. It shifts the front as easily as the rear, and automatically trims the front as the back is shifted. When the price comes down, it'll be great for triple chainrings and tandems.
    Hey! When are you coming back down this way to ride?

Since our trip will be sag supported, I feel less worry though a complete failure would be a bummer. I gave that issue some thought and will accept what happens. By next May I should have enough miles on the system to know how it will work in all conditions. But you are correct that finding parts would be difficult.

The front der. is really nice. I don't think it is possible to drop the chain on a downshift with Di2 and the auto trim function is great.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=BikeWNC;9046213]Getting used to the position of the shift buttons takes time. On my first ride I bet I shifted the wrong way a couple dozen times. Both buttons are located where the single STI paddle used to be. They do have different shapes and textures but they are close to one another. Eventually the issue with incorrect shifting will go away as I get used to those positions.QUOTE]

I can really appreciate what you're experiencing. It's one of the reasons I've avoided some faster group rides for a while as I still have a tendency to hit the wrong levers on the Campy.

You need to send your photo to Specialized!!I don't think they could have any better background with their production shots than what you've done!!

I know you're really going to enjoy the new frame and gruppo-first class!! See you Sunday.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since our trip will be sag supported, I feel less worry though a complete failure would be a bummer. I gave that issue some thought and will accept what happens. By next May I should have enough miles on the system to know how it will work in all conditions. But you are correct that finding parts would be difficult.

The front der. is really nice. I don't think it is possible to drop the chain on a downshift with Di2 and the auto trim function is great.
    Depending on the sag support and travel arrangements, I would look into taking your Parlee as a backup. Murphy's Law is still around. On a cross country tour, it would be great to have a backup bike...just in case. Plus, you could ride the Parlee as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=jppe;9049678]
    Getting used to the position of the shift buttons takes time. On my first ride I bet I shifted the wrong way a couple dozen times. Both buttons are located where the single STI paddle used to be. They do have different shapes and textures but they are close to one another. Eventually the issue with incorrect shifting will go away as I get used to those positions.QUOTE]

I can really appreciate what you're experiencing. It's one of the reasons I've avoided some faster group rides for a while as I still have a tendency to hit the wrong levers on the Campy.

You need to send your photo to Specialized!!I don't think they could have any better background with their production shots than what you've done!!

I know you're really going to enjoy the new frame and gruppo-first class!! See you Sunday.
    Thanks, but Specialized might take exception to the Trek bottle on the bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Depending on the sag support and travel arrangements, I would look into taking your Parlee as a backup. Murphy's Law is still around. On a cross country tour, it would be great to have a backup bike...just in case. Plus, you could ride the Parlee as well.
    We'll see how the trip all comes together and whether there is room for another bike. I agree, if something is to go wrong, a xc trip is when it would happen. Some people think Murphy was an optimist.

Another option is to replace the shifters and der. with Red but I really don't think it will be necessary. From every report the Di2 group has been bomber.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll see how the trip all comes together and whether there is room for another bike. I agree, if something is to go wrong, a xc trip is when it would happen. Some people think Murphy was an optimist.

Another option is to replace the shifters and der. with Red but I really don't think it will be necessary. From every report the Di2 group has been bomber.
    I think the Di2 will be fine. I was thinking more of a general backup. My counter theory that Murphy was an optimist is that if you take a backup, you will not need it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe in the fall I can get back to your section of the BRP. I rode the BRP near Doughton Park last week. It was great.

I read that the Di2 moves the front derailleur just enough to reach the small chainring, then after the shift is completed, it moves over a bit more so the chain won't rub. It makes it hard to drop the chain this way.

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BikeWNC,

pcad will throw a fit when he sees what you've got. Congratulations!

A cross country supported tour -- you sir, know how to tour in style. If that Specialized frame was good enough for Boonen at Paris-Roubaix it should work on most any road you encounter in the US. Given how much race testing Shimano did with Di2, I'm guessing that it will be fine save for those kinds of rare events that would kill any component like a branch caught in your rear wheel.

Keep us posted on how the bike continues to ride and work.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
    Hi BikeWNC,

pcad will throw a fit when he sees what you've got. Congratulations!

A cross country supported tour -- you sir, know how to tour in style. If that Specialized frame was good enough for Boonen at Paris-Roubaix it should work on most any road you encounter in the US. Given how much race testing Shimano did with Di2, I'm guessing that it will be fine save for those kinds of rare events that would kill any component like a branch caught in your rear wheel.

Keep us posted on how the bike continues to ride and work.
    LOL, pcad doesn't respond to my posts anymore.

The only reason I ended up with Di2 is the price my LBS gave me was way below list. There is no way I could/would have paid what Shimano is asking for the group. I'm hope that the field testing Shimano did was sufficient but time will tell. My LBS will certainly stand by me if any warranty claim needs to be made (which I doubt). I've been riding Shimano components for many years without ever having a problem.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a lottery bike - the kind I fantasize about buying if I ever win the lottery. Nice!

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhh La La!

I, for one, favor more bike tech here... with no offense meant toward the classical stuff of course! And MORE pictures of that new steed wouldn't be bad either.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to get a few more pics posted in a few days. I did another metric today and I think I mis-shifted only twice. I was way more comfortable with the location of the shift buttons. I have to say, while the rear der. is a nice convenience, the front der. is what makes the group really shine. It is so fast and so positive. The auto trim feature isn't bad either. Cross-chaining 34/11 or 50/28 still has chain noise but the der. cage isn't making it. It's just a severe angle to ask the chain to work efficiently.

I have a century ride tomorrow to get more comfortable with the group, how I'll finish is beyond me with my current fitness. Smoke and mirrors I guess.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a nice bike, it's going to make that long ride so comfy. What's the battery life on the Di2? Will you need to recharge on the tour? If your tour comes to Oregon I'd like to ride with you a day or two and see the bike up close.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Just a couple quick notes about Di2. It shifts when you press the button. Sounds silly but it will shift under any circumstance. Just because it can doesn't mean you should. Shifting at the wrong time at high load can break a chain or bend rings and cogs.

Getting used to the position of the shift buttons takes time. On my first ride I bet I shifted the wrong way a couple dozen times. Both buttons are located where the single STI paddle used to be. They do have different shapes and textures but they are close to one another. Eventually the issue with incorrect shifting will go away as I get used to those positions.

Battery life seems great so far. I only have 100 miles on it right now but it was charged just once in the shop many weeks ago and still shows full. I'll put another 150 miles on it this weekend and see how it goes.
    You didn't mention the coolest thing. I understand that as you shift across the rear cassette it automatically trims the front derailleur so you never get chain rub. Now that's techie!

Oops. I hope I don't lose retro grouch points for having posted that. What I ment to say is:
    "What a lot of needless complicated nonsense. Bring back friction shifters!"