Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Senior Cyclist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dutch guests don't like my road bike

My wife, who runs a bed & breakfast in Southern Virginia, asked if she could borrow my road bike and my hybrid for a few days because she had booked three Dutch guests, who described themselves as avid bicyclists. The summertime b&B is near South Boston, Va., 200 miles from our Arlington, Va., house, where I am staying, so I was reluctant to be without a bike the two weeks that she would be gone. "I'll make a deal," I said. "You can have the bikes if I can buy a new one." Fine, she said. So I bought a new Trek roadbike (circa $1400) at Revolution Cycles and we borrowed a mountain bike for the guests. I told the story to the bike salesman, but he cautioned, "You know, Dutch riders are used to flat land and don't really get into road bikes."

Well, he was right. The hybrid and the mountain bike were fine, but they couldn't get my road bike out of high gear, and one of them complained, "You have to look down all the time and can't see the scenery." So my wife went to the basement at the B&B and got out a clunky old rusty mountain bike that I refuse to ride. They fixed it up a little and they loved it.

So I ended up with a new bike that I really didn't need. No problem--I'll keep one at the B&B. (And I'll hide it from guests.)
    Mike Doan

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your negotiating skills are flawed. Your new bike should have been a substantial upgrade.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbiker View Post
    So I ended up with a new bike that I really didn't need.
    What is wrong with you? are you trying to ruin it for the rest of us? You ALWAYS NEED a new bike!
    Next time I'm drooling at the LBS and the wife says "NO!" then I say "But Honey, I really NEED this bike!" All she has to say is "If Mike Doan doesn't need a new bike, you don't NEED a new bike". And then what do I say? Do I throw you under the bus? (most likley). DAMN MAN, your going to bring down the whole n+1 movement buy your self, with one sentence. Don't ever say you don't need a new bike again. EVER.
    Now, say this, "I NEED a new bike", see how good if feels?.
    Say it 100 times every night before you go to bed.
    I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike.......

100 times, every day, and you will be forgiven(maybe).

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    What is wrong with you? are you trying to ruin it for the rest of us? You ALWAYS NEED a new bike!
    Next time I'm drooling at the LBS and the wife says "NO!" then I say "But Honey, I really NEED this bike!" All she has to say is "If Mike Doan doesn't need a new bike, you don't NEED a new bike". And then what do I say? Do I throw you under the bus? (most likley). DAMN MAN, your going to bring down the whole n+1 movement buy your self, with one sentence. Don't ever say you don't need a new bike again. EVER.
    Now, say this, "I NEED a new bike", see how good if feels?.
    Say it 100 times every night before you go to bed.
    I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike, I NEED a new bike.......

100 times, every day, and you will be forgiven(maybe).
    Plus, wives will sucessfully use the "Mike Doan doesn't need a bike" and morph bike into "boat, HDTV, golf clubs, automobile, SUV, and many other goodies". Mike Doan will become responsible to our economy crashing and burning as demand for goodies dries up completely.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I read about Mike Doan and his crazy antics the more I want to keep away.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    That's why I like fixing and flipping bikes. For some reason they're almost always my size. It's like getting a new bike every two weeks! The flip money makes sure I always have a build in progress.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard a guy on the radio say that Mike Doan was responsible for the bankruptcy of GM, because he got everyone to believe they didn't need a new car. Is that true?

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is Mike Doan???

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
    Who is Mike Doan???
    From the last few posts he is the one who destroyed GM, Chrysler, Wall Street, the banks and many of the family relationships on the forum. He also made it harder for our LBS to survive. If he would have simply asked for a better bike we would have had peace in the Middle East.

My Bikes
    Univega Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    From the last few posts he is the one who destroyed GM, Chrysler, Wall Street, the banks and many of the family relationships on the forum. He also made it harder for our LBS to survive. If he would have simply asked for a better bike we would have had peace in the Middle East.
    I'm not worried. I hear the President is going to appoint Mike Doan to be his Special Economic Advisor. Then everyone will be rich!

{Gee, I hope we don't have to listen to a 4-hour Doan speech on the radio.**

Kevin