User Tag List

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Along run for a short slide

Meaning it will take me longer to type up the ride report than to do the ride. But whatever.

I've been joining the Louisville bicycle Club for their "slow and easy" Saturday morning spin. It takes you through some very lovely historic areas of the old city.

Here is the St. James fountain, home of a major art fair. We circle this once or twice ceremonially.

As with many cities, Louisville has made great efforts to restore the beautiful old homes. This is a bed and breakfast my wife and I stayed at during a recent staycation.

We pass by controversial landmarks, like this monument to the Brave Soldiers of the Confederacy. Interestingly, Louisville was predominately Unionist during the War of Northern Aggression.

Other areas are pretty seedy. Many of the women wouldn't ride this route without the presence of us manly men.

My observations from this morning:

1. You hang onto the quickest riders only because they let you. When the team kitters decide to blast off, there is no way to catch them. Sponsored amateur racers are really fast around here.

2. Many riders look much better from the rear. Maybe I've been a gastroenterologist too long, but it's true. There was a breakaway among the second tier riders that I was bound and determined to bridge. After exerting so much effort there was blood coming out of my ears, I caught the group and pulled ahead the of tail rider, and, dang, he was old. We're talking Dnvr Fox old, maybe older. I thought I was catching up to Floyd Landis. It really ruined the effect.

3. I'm probably not ready for TT yet. The hill climb section of next week's TT was at mile 20, and I'd saved up energy to go firing up the hill side. I got dropped, although not by much, by the old goats.

4. If you have 20 cyclists who have stuck together for 32 miles, there WILL be a sprint at the end. I got my butt kicked on that part, too.

5. Group rides with experienced riders can be addictive.

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photos, did you stop at the tavern for a cold one????

SloSpoke Jim

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Louisville was predominately Unionist during the War of Northern Aggression.
    "War of Northern Aggression" Wouldn't that would imply firing the first shot?

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was afraid somone would get bent about that one. For what it's worth I'm from the east coast and am a Unionist.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    I'm from the east coast and am a Unionist.
    Oh yeah, what local?

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    "War of Northern Aggression" Wouldn't that would imply firing the first shot?
    I've seen a monument in New Hampshire that makes reference to "The Rebellion of 1861-1865".
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer