Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, any value??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, any value??

So, any value??

My brother-in-law gave this to me today. Not being an older bike aficianado, I have absolutely no idea if it has any value or is it another older 10 speed.

Peugeot about 1968??

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-06-09 at 09:19 PM.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it has any collector value.

It certainly looks pristine. It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures but I don't see any obvious signs of dry rot on the tires or brake hoods. That's kind of unusual on a bike that old. I wish you had shown the right side of the bike. Does it have Simplex derailleurs?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I doubt it has any collector value.

It certainly looks pristine. It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures but I don't see any obvious signs of dry rot on the tires or brake hoods. That's kind of unusual on a bike that old. I wish you had shown the right side of the bike. Does it have Simplex derailleurs?

Yes, Simplex

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvr, I'm sure the folks in C&V can give you a good answer.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Dnvr, I'm sure the folks in C&V can give you a good answer.
    Hmm!!

Sort of afraid to venture there.

Neophyte and all that.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Hmm!!

Sort of afraid to venture there.

Neophyte and all that.
    I'm thinking that posting in C&V would be a real good idea. To me the interesting thing about this bike is how pristine, original and complete it appears to be. That's pretty unusual for a 40 year old bike.

The worst they can do is laugh at you and we're likely to do that to you here.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it has one of those French kickstands. Be careful with that.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had two Peugeot's back then. They were both sweet rides. One disappeared in France, the other in Hawaii. Your's looks like U08 as well. Careful, if you ride it you may like it.

Here's the last pic I have of one, taken the last day I saw it.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 06-06-09 at 10:37 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    I had two Peugeot's back then. They were both sweet rides. Your's looks like U08 as well. Careful; if you ride it you may like it.
    Being as one tire is flat, I haven't had a chance to try it out. The bars seem a bit narrow - I usually take a 44

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it's probably a UO8. I think Peugeot made three popular bikes in those days. The AO8 was the cheap version, about $105 when I bought mine in college. Next step up was the UO8, very similar but with alum rims instead of steel and with chrome fork blades. I think it cost about $140, and at the time I couldn't swing the extra 35 bucks. There was also a sportier version, maybe called the PX-10, but that name may have come later.
    I wouldn't imagine it has a whole lot of value unless you find somebody who wants that specific bike. They were pretty common, not particularly high quality (note the stamped dropouts), there are parts problems (bottom brackets have different threads, for instance, and the stem is 22.0mm instead of the standard 22.2, just enough so they won't interchange), and those Simplex rear derailleurs are fragile. You can easily replace them with any modern derailleur to make it rideable, but to a purist or collector, that would lower the value.

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver,

That is definitely a UO8 of the '68-70 vintage or so. I have a '68 or '69 that my wife rode through college. It is really a nice riding bike. I've done the Hotter-N-Hell 100 on it in Witchita Falls and lots of tri's, including the Red Man 1/2 Iron Man in 2007.

Many of the plastic-ish Simplex deraileurs bit the dust, but mine still works fine. I have squeezed a 7-speed cog set in the back with no problem.

Expect it to weigh about 28 lbs or so.

Ditch the current seat for a period Ideal leather saddle and someone might pay up to $250 for it, depending if whether they had one before. I know of several that have gone for that much, but that would be top dollar. PX-10's of the same era are nice and start in the $500.00 range.

Best single change is modern alloy wheels that weigh literally pounds less than stock.

Ride it and enjoy it.

TysonB
    Cushing, OK
    Last edited by TysonB; 06-06-09 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling like an idiot

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bike looks very clean. Peugeots are very popular in the used market here in LA.

Don't be afraid of C&V. Very, very nice Forum over there...

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    That bike looks very clean. Peugeots are very popular in the used market here in LA.

We love all old bikes just some more than others. We even like the ones with those funny sounding name that I can't even pronounce and we like stuff like this too. http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...aker53/009.jpg
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post

I've been told I was too "terse."

Think I will stay right here!

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they'll accept me they'll accept you. Although, in contrast to you, I am somewhat loquatious, with a pronounced penchant for prolixity. And there's quite an overlap between C&V and 50+ - vintage bikes/vintage riders.

As for your bike - yep, probably a midrange Peugeot like TysonB said. Stamped rather than forged dropouts and cottered steel crank rather than alloy three piece crank mean not top of the line. But it has downtube shifters (better) rather than stem shifters (usually a mark of a lower end bike). Would be a comfortable ride.

As mentioned above, finding replacement French threaded bottom brackets etc. can be difficult. Those darn French!

And now: the obligatory Sheldon Brown French Bike article link.
    Last edited by bcoppola; 06-07-09 at 09:02 AM.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you happen to point out that East Hill will smack anyone who gives you any guff, you should do fine .

It's a nice looking bike!

East Hill

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's most likely a Peugeot UO-8, sold in the late '60s and very early '70s. I recall prices of around $85, about the same as a Varsity or Raleigh Gran Prix. I wanted a new bike back then, and would have loved to get one of those.

There is a lot of diversity of opinion about this bike. Some say it's amazingly smooth for what it is, others gawgle with enthusiasm, and others can't stand them. The components were all good quality in their day. The Simplex derailleurs nearly always shifted very well when new, and didn't always last long.

If it fits you, tune it up and see how it rides! You might like it. They are not bad bikes by any stretch, in my opinion.

Trust East Hill, she'll keep an eye on you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    The components were all good quality in their day. The Simplex derailleurs nearly always shifted very well when new, and didn't always last long.
    I think that's why the SCNF parted me from the bike I pictured above. As you can see, there were some mods on it like a Brooks Saddle and bar cons. But I think it was putting on a SunTour groupo that galled the French so, and they could not permit me to maintain my association with a French bike. So they shipped it to Boulougne when I was going to Calais, and I never saw it again.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shop I worked at sold them. They were pretty nice especially considering what was available in the day. The simplex derailleurs worked OK, but as I was thinking about it, unless you spent a lot more money there was nothing any better. The only complaint I ever had about Peugeot was they used a very small diameter seat post with a shim in the frame and it did not like to clamp very securely. Its a decent bike I have seen the selling for 1-2 hundred as I recall. Better to fix it up a bit and enjoy the ride. They did ride pretty nice for a good price.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
    If you happen to point out that East Hill will smack anyone who gives you any guff, you should do fine .

It's a nice looking bike!

East Hill
    Denver,

I believe you took my comment the wrong way over in C&V value appraisals.

I was trying to help you receive better and more complete responses. The C&V folk just like to be more chatty then you normally are. A general quick question like "what's the value?" generally is not well received. I was doing my best to be a friend offering good advice.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to seem critical, but I believe that the rack on the rear of the Pu-Joe is actually a front rack.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox, the folks over at C&V are very freindly. You should try the "Classic & Vintage Bicycles Appraisals and Inquiries" subforum located at the top of the C & V forum page. As one of the regulars over there, I'll give you a preview of what might be said.
    The value of that bike depends on how hot the bike market is in your area. Assuming it's an average area, like the area where I live (Raleigh, NC) that bike looks like a U0-8 in really nice condition. With good/new tires (no dry rot) and ride ready (clean chain, shifts/brakes smoothly) I'd estimate that bike would sell for $125 to $150. C&V bikes are a really hot market right now and Peugeot is a desirable brand with the U0-8 being a model that gets a lot of attention. There's a downside to an early U0-8. It has French measurement components (bottom bracket, stem, headset, bars) so buying replacement parts is serious concern for collectors. The Simplex rear derailer on that bike has been known to have problems with the jockey wheels disintegrating due to the poor quality of the plastic (happened to me with a Raleigh). To replace the jockey wheels, you need to find an early Suntour rear derailer that has jockey wheels with the same size hole in the center. Folks at C&V may be able to help if you have trouble with it. Also, the U0-8 I had for a brief time had a replacement Suntour V-GT derailer that performed better than the Simplex, but, of course it is not original. Fortunately, Suntour V-GT's are not too hard to find.
    Good luck with it and welcome to the C&V world.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What tire pressure for the original wheels and 27" tires?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-07-09 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    As one of the regulars over there, I'll give you a preview of what might be said.
    The value of that bike depends on how hot the bike market is in your area. Assuming it's an average area, like the area where I live (Raleigh, NC) that bike looks like a U0-8 in really nice condition. With good/new tires (no dry rot) and ride ready (clean chain, shifts/brakes smoothly) I'd estimate that bike would sell for $125 to $150. C&V bikes are a really hot market right now and Peugeot is a desirable brand with the U0-8 being a model that gets a lot of attention. There's a downside to an early U0-8. It has French measurement components (bottom bracket, stem, headset, bars) so buying replacement parts is serious concern for collectors. The Simplex rear derailer on that bike has been known to have problems with the jockey wheels disintegrating due to the poor quality of the plastic (happened to me with a Raleigh). To replace the jockey wheels, you need to find an early Suntour rear derailer that has jockey wheels with the same size hole in the center. Folks at C&V may be able to help if you have trouble with it. Also, the U0-8 I had for a brief time had a replacement Suntour V-GT derailer that performed better than the Simplex, but, of course it is not original. Fortunately, Suntour V-GT's are not too hard to find.
    Good luck with it and welcome to the C&V world.

I think you have just answered all my questions!!

Thanks.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What tire pressure for the original wheels and 27" tires?
    The tire pressure would have been about 80 or 85 psi max. I might inch them up to that point watching for incipient explosions.

Are the rims steel? rusty or chromed, or both? or use a fridge magnet. If so they are probably original, made by Rigida, and having a textured brake track. Good thing you live in Colorado, because these didn't brake well in the rain, because of the steel surface. The brakes on that are probably the best center-pulls ever made, though in C&V I'd get a strong argument about that.

The French parts are only a problem if you need to replace any of them. If you do an overhaul and clean and regrease things, you should be just putting the old stuff, 'cep perhaps for balls, back in.

Take a ride!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast