Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    dawes, schwinn, kona
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    N+1, ..purrs like a kitten

    So, ever since giving my MTB to my daughter (sort of in exchange for her 1984 Univega Nuovo Sport), I've been thinking about getting another MTB..a nice hardtail..maybe around $1,000 or so.
    Then again, N+1 is also applicable to banjos and amateur radio gear..either of which would be significantly more money.

    However, someone, somewhere, decided I needed another cat (I already have five...a cruiser cat, an MT cat, a cyclocross cat, a trials cat, and a sleek, black road cat).

    On Monday, June 1, a little kitten was extricated from being stuck at a construction site at the Supreme Court. One of my neighbors works there and brought him home so his wife could take care of him. This part gets a little cloudy, but the bottom line is that my wife took him in to add to the mayhem we already have. He is cute...took him to a local vet over a two day period and he kept getting weaker...so took him to our regular animal hospital and I am happy to say after a few days in intensive (and expensive) care, he came home today. I could have bought two MTBs, but neither of them would purr and lick my face.

    Here he is..I hope the pic loads...this is HENRY in his private room at the hospital.



    Oh well, there is always next year for a new bike.....

    Pete (cat herder extraordinaire)

  2. #2
    stringbreaker stringbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wa. State
    My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He looks like our adult cat did as a kitten, cute little guy for sure. looks like he will be a live wire when he gets well. Good on ya for saving his life.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wait for the first O'dark thirty,are you still breathing? check,it'll be all worth it then.

  4. #4
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dawes56 View Post
    So, ever since giving my MTB to my daughter (sort of in exchange for her 1984 Univega Nuovo Sport), I've been thinking about getting another MTB..a nice hardtail..maybe around $1,000 or so.
    Then again, N+1 is also applicable to banjos and amateur radio gear..either of which would be significantly more money.

    However, someone, somewhere, decided I needed another cat (I already have five...a cruiser cat, an MT cat, a cyclocross cat, a trials cat, and a sleek, black road cat).

    On Monday, June 1, a little kitten was extricated from being stuck at a construction site at the Supreme Court. One of my neighbors works there and brought him home so his wife could take care of him. This part gets a little cloudy, but the bottom line is that my wife took him in to add to the mayhem we already have. He is cute...took him to a local vet over a two day period and he kept getting weaker...so took him to our regular animal hospital and I am happy to say after a few days in intensive (and expensive) care, he came home today. I could have bought two MTBs, but neither of them would purr and lick my face.

    Here he is..I hope the pic loads...this is HENRY in his private room at the hospital.



    Oh well, there is always next year for a new bike.....

    Pete (cat herder extraordinaire)
    Your wife is an enabler of the highest quality.

    Bikes AND cats .

    Good for you (and good for him, too).
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

  5. #5
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,926
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a little cutie. Having animals helps our humanity I think. I know I drive more patiently with the dogs in the car. OTOH. put our cat in the car and I rive like a maniac, as the yowling plants the seed of insanity in my mind.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NW AR & Central LA
    Posts
    2,641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! Soon, Henry will learn that the best place for a nap or stroll is the keyboard you happen to be using. He will figure out that you need close supervision while you're trying to get through the pile-up to work Palmyra... gee, the top of this radio is really nice and warm, but why is he stroking that thing with his fingers... I should investigate. Looks like he'll be a trooper.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a cat person, wel done!

    Watch out for the sand though.

  8. #8
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
    Your wife is an enabler of the highest quality.

    Bikes AND cats .

    Good for you (and good for him, too).
    +100... Well done! The upside to N+1 in bikes is that bikes almost never get in noisy fights with one another. And bikes rarely damage furntiture either. Cats do seem to get along well with bikes though, and are often quite curious about them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  9. #9
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,174
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I have a soft spot for the furry bastids, I am allergic. When my wife insisted that she have a house cat, I had to stay on antihistamines year-around. So glad that's over with!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    dawes, schwinn, kona
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick followup... thanks for all the kind words. Henry is doing very well...eating, playing, and using his tiny litter box... So...I would say that in another couple of weeks I will have my hands full with him...not to mention the other five!

    Since this is a bike forum...I did not get to ride today, although is was 80 and sunny. Kittens have their own special dietary needs and I was running around trying to find some kitten milk replacement stuff...when I did, I stocked up!

    billydonn---that looks like a wonderful cat.. he (she) probably thought FELT meant something else.

    OK, no more cat stories..unless Henry learns to ride.

    Pete

  11. #11
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dawes56 View Post
    Just a quick followup... thanks for all the kind words. Henry is doing very well...eating, playing, and using his tiny litter box...
    ...
    OK, no more cat stories..unless Henry learns to ride.

    Pete
    Yo Pete,
    More cat stories would be fine with me! I hope Henry is still doing well. This is Gabriella (Gabby). She is easily over 50 in cat years, so this is not off topic! Previous featured feline was young Redford, who is not yet 50.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  12. #12
    Senior Member jungovox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'wicked cute' factor is off the charts on this one - What a cutie

    Three cats here - Our rule? Whatever they want they get -

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Middle of the road, NJ
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of the time I was at my desk at work, and the phone rings. It's my wife, it goes something like: Wife: Your not gonna believe what happened (meow). Me: What? W: (meow) Two kittens showed (meow) up at the back door. M: where did they come from? W: I don't (meow) know, but the kids have already seen them(meow).....
    We already had two, now we had four, one of them had kittens, bringing the total to seven, which i entirely too many.

    Good luck with the little guy, he has that outlaw gleam in his eye.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •