Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike revisited

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike revisited

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-09, 04:58 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike revisited

I had not ridden my MTB for quite some time. Been communting on the Puch until the brake pad fell of (another thread). I rode the MTB to work and I liked it. I had convinced myself I preferred the Puch for the commute but by riding the MTB I was able to tell that I actually like it better, I just don't like the fork or the pedals or the fact the front shifter is broken. I did discover after giving the Puch few months I did not like it all that much, been thinking about building a Soma Double cross up as a commuter - had already dismissed the MTB, but by revisiting the Gary Fischer I think all I need is to change a few things. So I will swap the pedas off the Puch, work on the shifter (I fixed it once before) and look for a new fork, basically remove the shock which I never liked on the road.

Any suggestions for a fixed fork? Would like one that will give me some flex like a nice steel fork with some rake. Maybe a CF fork might be nice and cut out a few lbs. This may be a much better fix!

Besides the GF is the only one of my bikes can ride hands free
Old 06-07-09, 08:46 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's a lot of positives to using a Mtn. Bike as a cummuter. They're nimble, responsive, quick, durable and fun just to mention a few. I'm just a few weeks into trying my Volae SWB Recumbent as a Day-Shift commuter. I'm not overly convinced yet that I like it for that purpose all that much yet, but then I've only got about 125 miles on it this season. It's been a strange Spring and rain puts me on the Mtn. Bike as I don't relish sitting on a wet 3" thick foam sponge (seat). One thing I do know is that it feels great to whiz down the road on my old Trek 820 while commuting on the night shifts.

I'm keeping an open mind, well I'm trying to anyway. I'll alternate between both bikes all season just to ensure they get an even shake, but I suspect I'll be using the Mtn. Bike exclusively for commuting next year.

I can't offer any info on forks as I don't know much about equipment qualities and/or comparisons.
Old 06-07-09, 01:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
On the forks- Cheap C.F. will be as heavy as suspension forks- They may be C.F. but you will not believe it. On Chromoly forks---The best set of Forks I have ever used are Project ll's as used to be supplied on Kona's. Nice and light- Very firm laterrally but will flex enough to absorb road shock.

All the time I had these on my Mountain Bike(s) I said that suspension was not necessary. And in comparison to cheap suspension forks- the Project ll's were better. I remember one ride where I swapped bikes with another rider and on a Smoothish downhill I saw how much flex those forks had under severe stress. As I said- "Who needs suspension forks"

Spike Milligan
Old 06-07-09, 02:12 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys - I look into those forks.
I just ordered a bunch of stuff for the bikes before I read this - but not a fork.
I checked chains today and both the MTB and the Tarmac need new chains so I ordered them up. I also ordered some fenders, paniers and some assorted other stuff.
Yesterday I traded pedals with the Puch and will probably put it out for trash pickup next week (I hate to throw any bike out but this one is just too old and cheap to save).
Old 06-07-09, 07:30 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I can't specify a particular fork, but the type you need is called "suspension corrected". They're longer than usual forks to match the extra length of the suspension ones.
Old 06-08-09, 06:12 AM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
I can't specify a particular fork, but the type you need is called "suspension corrected". They're longer than usual forks to match the extra length of the suspension ones.
Thanks TSL - I figured that out after a bunch of reading. Also there was the issue of threaded vs. threadless, axel to crown length and brake type &steering tube length and diameter. I think I know what I need now. The fork Stepfam suggested seems like it will fit, has about the right AC length, tube diameter, threadless, etc. The problem is it has no mounting holes for front fenders or racks. I may still get it but I figure I'll look around a little longer and see if I can't come up with something which is a better match to what I want. The Surly forks look good but the specs aren't quite right. So many choices... There will be a pic when the fork is choosen and mounted up and the Gary Fischer turns full on commuter.