User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Monster on the MTB

Saturday, Mrs HH and I took a ride from Providence, RI to Bristol, RI on the East Bay Trail. A nice 30 mile round trip along the bay. Perfectly flat, so all you have to deal with is the winds, which were gusting pretty good in spots that day. Now we usually ride this a nice pace of 14-15mph and just try to stay away from the congestion. Anyway, we did an ejoyable ride down and stopped at the Top Sider for fish sandwich and some fries for lunch, then headed back.

Somewhere along the trail on the way back I heard that distinctive growl of MTB tires on my butt. So I cranked it up a notch. 18mph, he's still there. 20mph, he's still there. 22mph, he's still there. 24mph, he's still there and it's been about 2 miles of this now. Another mile further and we had to stop for the intersection in Barrington. I turn around to see who the monster on the MTB was and it was a young man probably in his late 30's but that's not significant. The real suprise was he was pulling his kid along on one of those bikes that attach to your bike. I told him I was wicked impressed. Turns out he was another BMC rider and wanted to ask how long I've had mine. He just got his this month.

I'm still impressed though. A 30lb bike, 20lb tag along, and probably another 30lbs of kid, and he could still maintain 24mph for a couple miles. He must be scary on his BMC.

Tim
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time that i make up my mind regarding what's reasonable for an ordinary person to accomplish, somebody comes along and doubles it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to hate youthfull strong and fit riders like him--Till I got Stuart onto the Tandem.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, when I used to have my daughter on one of those I would make her pedal when we hit a a hill

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I used to hate youthfull strong and fit riders like him.
    Not to worry, stap. Youth strength and skill is no match for old age, experience and treachery. Never has been, never will.